What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

Time to talk about some basic details of the IEI products:

The Meraj-4 (Bavar-373) has a higher volume search performance than the S-400's 91N6 Big Bird.

It is also a hybrid ESA (similar to Ibris-E) --> a linear AESA (which Ibris-E is not) in transmit mode and a single element-per-element AESA in receive mode, whereas the 91N6 is a pure PESA.

It is much more compact than the 91N6.

The field in which the Big Bird is superior are ABM modes and its integrated sector scan mode.
Here the Bavar architecture splits this task to the dedicated Bavar-373 acquisition radar (taking the place of the 92N6 Chease board in S-400). The S-400 on the other hand uses the 91N6 by giving it a twice higher update rate than the Meraj-4 (two janus arrays) and allow for a sector search mode while performing volume search

Here Bavar-373 design philosophy goes another way and one statement is fact: Comparing both systems, the Meraj-4 has a somewhat longer detection range than the Big Bird. If upper echelon IADS information warns the S-400, it can track the target earlier by using the Big Bird in sector search mode.
However also the Meraj-4 could concentrate its energy (BT mode) on a specific sector if the target is given to it by IADS.

So the result is that in terms of hardware power, the Meraj-4 is higher performing than the 91N6, which is a huge achievement. Chinese even copied the Big Bird, while Iran develops its own solution. That solution is nothing highly expensive like a full element janus faced AESA but a very cost effective hybrid array solution.
Chinese (meanwhile) and Russian are masters in radar technology but Iran is catching up in a innovative way.

Time to talk about some basic details of the IEI products:

The Meraj-4 (Bavar-373) has a higher volume search performance than the S-400's 91N6 Big Bird.

It is also a hybrid ESA (similar to Ibris-E) --> a linear AESA (which Ibris-E is not) in transmit mode and a single element-per-element AESA in receive mode, whereas the 91N6 is a pure PESA.

It is much more compact than the 91N6.

The field in which the Big Bird is superior are ABM modes and its integrated sector scan mode.
Here the Bavar architecture splits this task to the dedicated Bavar-373 acquisition radar (taking the place of the 92N6 Chease board in S-400). The S-400 on the other hand uses the 91N6 by giving it a twice higher update rate than the Meraj-4 (two janus arrays) and allow for a sector search mode while performing volume search

Here Bavar-373 design philosophy goes another way and one statement is fact: Comparing both systems, the Meraj-4 has a somewhat longer detection range than the Big Bird. If upper echelon IADS information warns the S-400, it can track the target earlier by using the Big Bird in sector search mode.
However also the Meraj-4 could concentrate its energy (BT mode) on a specific sector if the target is given to it by IADS.

So the result is that in terms of hardware power, the Meraj-4 is higher performing than the 91N6, which is a huge achievement. Chinese even copied the Big Bird, while Iran develops its own solution. That solution is nothing highly expensive like a full element janus faced AESA but a very cost effective hybrid array solution.
Chinese (meanwhile) and Russian are masters in radar technology but Iran is catching up in a innovative way.

well Iran just said they going to unveil a big air defense system??? next week soooo Bavar-373 here we come.

رئیس‌جمهور: پروژه‌های بزرگی در پدافند هوایی افتتاح می‌کنیم

https://www.isna.ir/news/98051005152/رئیس-جمهور-پروژه-های-بزرگی-در-پدافند-هوایی-افتتاح-می-کنیم-دشمن

few days ago, I asked myself why they fired medium range Ballistic missile with that strange path from south to north not otherwise, and I had remembered about Rouhani promise few yrs ago about testing Bavar on missile.

It seems my guess was true and test was successful, so Rouhani couldn't control his happiness and reveled what happened with that test.

few days ago, I asked myself why they fired medium range Ballistic missile with that strange path from south to north not otherwise, and I had remembered about Rouhani promise few yrs ago about testing Bavar on missile.

It seems my guess was true and test was successful, so Rouhani couldn't control his happiness and reveled what happened with that test.

Most probable ,bro..
I havebeen waiting for bavar 373 since 2011...
I hope insallah I'm gonna see that very soon..

But the question is all about the unveiling of aviation section...
What is that..?

Most probable ,bro..
I havebeen waiting for bavar 373 since 2011...
I hope insallah I'm gonna see that very soon..
Rouhani himself few yrs ago said the Bavar-373 should hit Ballistic missile, at that time I remember many said Rouhani with that word want to prepare minds of Iranian for Moshaki Barjam, and saying Ballistic missiles are useless, but now wit failure of Barjam; nobody has fear.

I'm very happy now, can't wait till defense day in three weeks a head.

Must be Bavar-373, the only other public project of great significance would be a OTH-B radar that would be worth the "especially this year" note Rohani made.

So after 9 years as Bavar-373 seems to be close, I again go to one of the IEI products:
The Iranian Nebo with its shoot and scoot rate deployment time:

The original Nebo-SVU Iran got from Russia was approximated with the Matla ol Fajr-2, the most widespread used mobile radar of Iran. With it the detection performance of the Nebo-SVU was reached at much lower cost but also with lower capabilities.

Now the Iranian Nebo has 30% higher detection performance than the Nebo-SVU which is a significant number for radars. With this added performance a VLO platform that has -20dB RCS due to RAM/RAS (negated by VHF-band) + -25dB due to shape for a total of -45dB. The value of -45dB translates into a metal ball smaller than 1cm in diameter or the famous Lockheed Martin PR department pea comparison for the F-35.
Even worse to to ground-to-air aspect a ideal head-on -45dB RCS would become a 35-40 one realistically...

So what would be the range against such a <1cm metal ball ideal VLO stealth platform? 320km, which is a long range detection value for radars.
This performance level is certainly what you would like to have in a Bavar-373 battalion, with the Meraj-4 doing the battle management task.
Matla ol Fajr-2 and Nebo-SVU still do ~180km range in detecting that ideal -45dB target which would make them medium range radars against such VLO targets.

It also adds a significant ABM capability which may be the best reason to built it into the Bavar-373: It is a starring sector protection radar with digital beamforming for high altitude tracking at high update rate. It is even potent enough to be used a ASAT sensor against LEO objects.

Rouhani himself few yrs ago said the Bavar-373 should hit Ballistic missile, at that time I remember many said Rouhani with that word want to prepare minds of Iranian for Moshaki Barjam, and saying Ballistic missiles are useless, but now wit failure of Barjam; nobody has fear.

I'm very happy now, can't wait till defense day in three weeks a head.
Defence day means , the day president visits defence ministry and industry and a lot of stuffs being presented???
I saw several ceremony happened last few years and a lot of pics of systems and projects were shown..
In that case :yahoo::victory:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom