What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

Has anyone read this 4-paged article on Iran's air defence capabilities by Tom Cooper, a renowned writer of Iran's military who previously wrote books about IRIAF's F-14 performance in the Iran-Iraq War and other aerial performances?

He claims most of Iran's recent improvements in AD capabilities have been accomplished mostly through significant Chinese assistance, although he mentions the Chinese were surprised with the Iranians having high knowledge in the AD field.

Anyway, quite an interesting read:

https://warisboring.com/iran-is-building-air-defenses-against-stealth-aircraft/

Last edited:
Has anyone read this 4-paged article on Iran's air defence capabilities by Tom Cooper, a renowned writer of Iran's military who previously wrote books about IRIAF's F-14 performance in the Iran-Iraq War and other aerial performances?

He claims most of Iran's recent improvements in AD capabilities have been accomplished mostly through significant Chinese assistance, although he mentions the Chinese were surprised with the Iranians having high knowledge in the AD field.

Anyway, quite an interesting read:

https://warisboring.com/iran-is-building-air-defenses-against-stealth-aircraft/
Seems like laughing stage is over and now the denial phase has started.

I remember the same BS about Iran's drones and missiles too. If all Iran's AD achievements are from Chinese origin and it is so obvious as this a....hole claims, then how come US has not tried to stop it? They were pretty good at stopping S-300 delivery for a good period of time. Why can't they do it with China?

The problem with people like this guy is they think knowledge is a limited commodity that cannot be created and just flows from one location to the other.

The whole 15th Khordad and IRGC Najm-SD-2 technology approach has created a door toward many important capabilities.

One such capability is countering fighters and weapons that try to achieve their goals via low altitude terrain masking, with the most important representative being the Tomahawk CM.

This issue was countered by point-defense systems on mainly AAA basis. But areal protection was not possible. If desired, an relative expensive solution like the S-350's 9M96 series was required.
Accomplishing the counter via a SAM that is much cheaper like the Sayyad-2 was not possible to ranges such as 45km.

This situation is about to change via very clever Iranian solutions, unique and sufficiently cost effective to make sense.

Just to illustrate how important such a capability is: 2 such systems with sufficient SAMs could protect Tehran-Karaj and surroundings. 2 whole South Pars gas facilities, 1 whole Persian gulf star refinery, 2 whole Esfahan military and industrial region.
These are the main reasons why even Saudi Arabia has some deterrence against Iran today: A CM saturation attack can't be sufficiently robust countered with point-defense assets.

Given the low cost of the SD-2, and this new system that is about to come, the situation will change significantly. Areal extreme low level layer protection will become a robust capability.
I won't explain the system in detail, any amateur analyst with sufficient understanding and amateur capabilities like Google earth can find out.

I remember the same BS about Iran's drones and missiles too. If all Iran's AD achievements are from Chinese origin and it is so obvious as this a....hole claims, then how come US has not tried to stop it? They were pretty good at stopping S-300 delivery for a good period of time. Why can't they do it with China?

The problem with people like this guy is they think knowledge is a limited commodity that cannot be created and just flows from one location to the other.
Yes,its a rather "inaccurate" article to put it mildly,which is all the more surprising as tom cooper was considered to be one of the most knowledgeable westerners when it came to the iriaf and its performance during the iran iraq war.
Iran has acquired some chinese radars and at least one,the ylc-6,was likely built under license as the kashef,tho the iranians have pretty heavily reengineered it.
Heres the original:
img02-046-01.jpg

And heres the latest iranian version the kashef 2:
560px-Kashef_2_radar_system.jpg

One of the most obvious bits of iranian reengineering is the antenna which can now fold flat:
740px-Kashef2Radar.jpg

And heres a video of the kashef 2.
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/v...514365_n.mp4?_nc_ht=scontent.cdninstagram.com

I won't explain the system in detail, any amateur analyst with sufficient understanding and amateur capabilities like Google earth can find out.

so you can easily explain it too all of us, we are eager to read it, thanks

Many years back (more than 20)..I met an Iranian engineer who was educated in a western country doing his PHD in the field of Radar...he was a very modest and unassuming fellow but his knowledge of Radar and related topics blew my mind off....he was a religious man and was on his way back to Iran... I recall thinking that with guys like him it will not take long for Iran to have some level of indigenous radar products... well Mr Tom Cooper that guy and many others like him are the ones who brought down your most advanced stealth drone at 51000 feet with a mobile AD...so Fu..ck off and start recalculating!.:cheesy::cheesy:

Last edited:

Russia transferred physical equipment, China is transferring intellectual equipment. US cant stop every secret action between 2 states. You think US is God?

The reasonable conclusion is that much of the recent advances in Iranian radars and AD systems is due to a combination of reverse engineering, espionage, back-door deals with Russia/China/etc as well as indigenous Iranian efforts.

As stated before by Peed and me, Iran’s big jump in AD system wouldn’t be feasible without detailed technical support of Belarus. Of course China and Russia supported Iranian attempts, by selling various types of radars and transferring some know-how, but what Belarus did has been unique considering the “size (not physical size)” of the country. It is very interesting that in the recent documentary entitled as “War of the Waves or Battle of Radars (whichever reads better)” the only country name which is instinctively and all of a sudden mentioned by the Iranian Radar Scientist is Belarus, when he wanted to compare Radar coverage for Iran with other States!
On the other hand, absorption of such know-how and mass production of these transferred technologies wouldn’t be possible unless Iran had the brains and required talents within its defence industry and research centers.

Guys, seriously, why do Iranians release so much information about their systems and partner countries in their efforts? Even in the recent oil embargo against Iranian oil, I was astonished to hear an Iranian official claiming they're selling oil through unofficial channels, some of it through third-party countries. This was basically giving hints to their opponents. Iran is in critical stage at this point, and Iranians inside and outside the country may need to be tightlipped on their systems and partner countries.

Guys, seriously, why do Iranians release so much information about their systems and partner countries in their efforts? Even in the recent oil embargo against Iranian oil, I was astonished to hear an Iranian official claiming they're selling oil through unofficial channels, some of it through third-party countries. This was basically giving hints to their opponents. Iran is in critical stage at this point, and Iranians inside and outside the country may need to be tightlipped on their systems and partner countries.

Because intelligence agencies already know through various means. Thus anything they say they feel is not top secert or their enemy likely already knows.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom