What's new

Iran Unveils New Catamaran Capable Of Carrying Helicopters

AmirPatriot

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
@isoo @Penguin

This Catamaran design just showed up on Iranian TV.

Commander: Iran Launches High-Speed Chopper-Carrier Vessel

http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13950623000608

TEHRAN (FNA)- Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps Second Naval Zone General Ali Razmjou announced on Tuesday that the IRGC Navy has launched a long-range high-speed vessel capable of carrying military helicopters.

"Today, the Shahid Nazeri long-range speed vessel which can sail long journeys has joined the IRGC Navy," General Razmjou told reporters in the Southern city of Bushehr today.

He said that the round-the-clock relentless efforts of the Iranian experts and engineers have paved the way for launching the state-of-the-art vessel with the capability to navigate in roaring waters as well as landing and taking off of the military helicopters which is another achievement for the defense sector.

"The IRGC Navy has always made advacements and made valuable successes and under the current conditions it has made the Islamic Republic of Iran stronger by making use of modern technology and equipment as well as high missile, defense and deterrence power," General Razmjou added.

Shahid Nazeri vessel is capable of conducting operations in tidy waters and carry 100 military personnel and military helicopters.

upload_2016-9-13_9-49-29.png

upload_2016-9-13_9-49-34.png
upload_2016-9-13_9-49-51.png

upload_2016-9-13_9-50-1.png

upload_2016-9-13_9-50-10.png
upload_2016-9-13_9-57-7.png
upload_2016-9-13_9-57-12.png
upload_2016-9-13_9-57-19.png

Ok, so what is the intended purpuse/use of this craft?

Clearly, it can carry personnel. Clearly, it can land a Bell 206 Jetranger or equivalent 1.5 ton helicopter. Perhaps it can also handle a heavier Bell 204/205/UH-1. However:
-There is no 0-level main deck > what is the purpose of having so much open space between the hulls. Can it e.g. launch RIBs from the next up deck level? I see no shipboats anywhere else. So, without some boat, it is fully dependent on the helicopter for the movement over personnel while at sea (unless coming alongside)
-There are no visible weapons installations, nor does there seem to be space reserved for any. It doesn't have any other sensors than navigation radar.

Is this 'just' a trial or experimental or research vessel?

what is the purpose of having so much open space between the hulls. Can it e.g. launch RIBs from the next up deck level?
I think this picture might be indicative of the possibility of carrying the small boats behind the vessel, but I'm not sure.

upload_2016-9-13_9-50-1-png.333952

Is this 'just' a trial or experimental or research vessel?
I think this is a prototype, probably undergoing sea trials. It may turn out to be for reconnaissance and will be fitted with better sensors. Or it may carry a light attack helicopter like the Shahed-285, but I doubt that.

Last edited:
The Iran fires of missile are only a new link in a series of test fires during the recent days. The tests are meant to show the world that Iran will carry on with its ballistic program despite the Iran Nuclear deal that curbed the Islamic Republic’s nuclear ambitions. The Iran deal was finalized last year.

It looks like a long range patrol craft or support vessel,it certainly isnt something with offensive capabilities,the place where you would normally mount the weapons is where the helipad has been located.

Plz shutup with your craps u old lazy troll.
Then disprove what I say you moron,do you see any weapons?,any places for any weapons?,maybe just they`re invisible, right?
What this reminds me a little of is a smaller version of the usn HSV Swift catamaran
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
At least it shows iranian commitment and care in overall technology improving

But, there are many weapons/ platforms, being much more useful regarding current challenges

I think this picture might be indicative of the possibility of carrying the small boats behind the vessel, but I'm not sure.

upload_2016-9-13_9-50-1-png.333952
Oh yes, you're right, I missed that orange RIB. Anyway, that's a work boat, by the looks of it. I was thinking more in terms of base ship for (larger) assault boats

12011601ax-2.jpg

Or attack craft
Iranian-Navy8.jpg

for me it,s look like an anti submarin platform and the helo for droping torpedo or missile...............:cheesy:
Where's the sonar located?

Then disprove what I say you moron,do you see any weapons?,any places for any weapons?,maybe just they`re invisible, right?
What this reminds me a little of is a smaller version of the usn HSV Swift catamaran
hqdefault.jpg
USS Joint Venture (HSV-X1) started life as HSC Manannan, a 96-metre (315 ft) wave-piercing high-speed catamaran car ferry built in Tasmania in 1998. After commercial service in Australia and New Zealand, she was chartered to the US Military as USS Joint Venture (HSV-X1) and served for five years. A flight deck was added to accommodate various helicopters in the US Navy arsenal. Joint Venture was rapidly re-configurable and could perform a variety of missions, principal among them the ability to ferry up to 325 combat personnel and 400 tons of cargo up to 3,000 nautical miles (5,600 km) one way at speeds in excess of 40 knots (74 km/h). She operated as a fast transport in support of the Combined Joint Task Force and performing a variety of tasks, such as transporting and supplying troops at high speed over long distances, operating as a mobile command centre, working close inshore, and operating as a helicopter carrier. At the end of the five year charter, she was handed back to Incat in early 2006. She underwent a refit and was painted in the livery of Express Ferries. Plans for her to enter service as a car and passenger ferry never materialised however. She is now owned and operated by the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company, she mainly provides a seasonal service between Douglas and Liverpool.
1024px-Hsc_manannan.png

I was thinking more in terms of base ship for (larger) assault boats

Is such a role common in naval ships?

By the way, these two small vessels could be carried, or they could use the Catamaran as a resupply point. A floating dock, if you will.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-09-13-13-38-37-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-09-13-13-38-37-1.png
    567.9 KB · Views: 69
It looks like a long range patrol craft or support vessel,it certainly isnt something with offensive capabilities,the place where you would normally mount the weapons is where the helipad has been located.
There is no obvious reason for not implementing e.g. a small deck area forward of the passenger deck, which could house e.g. a twin 23mm cannon installation.

The interesting design feature is the amount of space from waterline to bottom of that passender deck. INCAT ferrys, catamaran ferries in general and wave piercing catamarans don't usually keep so much free height, at least not for the full length. It makes you wonder if the ship is intended to move over something, or has something that can be lowered down (e.g. small craft) or e.g. pass supplies down.

See Chinese type 022: it connects the two hulls at the level of the hulls' main deck.
022-FAC2.jpg

us-navy-high-speed-wave-piercing-catamaran-hsv2-swift-in-casablanca-ARMNE5.jpg

Hsv-2_Heckansicht.jpg

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Spearhead_(T-EPF-1)

Back
Top Bottom