What's new

Iran unveils first domestic fighter jet

In Iranian medias it is known as fighter/trainer jet:

Iran test-flies 1st homegrown fighter/trainer jet ‘Kosar’

2869725.jpg

TEHRAN, Aug. 21 (MNA) – Iran has successfully test-flown the first indigenous advanced light attack and training jet ‘Kosar’ concurrent with the National Day of Defense Industry.

The domestically-made fighter/trainer jet ‘Kosar’, mainly developed by the Iran Aviation Industries Organization, was unveiled back in July 2017, and showcased to international audience at MAKS air show in Moscow.

The twin-engined, two-seat Kosar jet was successfully ran through test-flights this morning in the presence of President Hassan Rouhani. The event was part of the programs planned to commemorate Iran’s Day of Defense Industry, during which the president is scheduled to deliver a speech.

2869716.jpg

‘Kosar’ enjoys many advanced features including an indigenous avionic and fire-control system, multi-function digital displays, ballistic weapon calculator, an advanced HUD system to increase strike precision, and an advanced multifunction fire control radar to boost the identification of targets and threats.

‘Kosar’ is an advanced fighter jet with a Close Air Support (CAS) role that has made Iran one of the few countries with the know-how of designing and manufacturing such jets equipped with 4th generation avionic and fire-control systems.

The jet will be mass-produced with one-seat and two-seat, the latter of which can be used for both military and training purposes.

https://en.mehrnews.com/news/136978/Iran-test-flies-1st-homegrown-fighter-trainer-jet-Kosar

If this jet is using 2 owj jet engines it means 10000 ibs of dry thrust and now the F-5 had a mark2 airframe so can any one update on the weight of this jet?

Last edited:
Similar unveiling for the same aircraft took place in the US in 1959.

DlJpK-xWsAACjCF.jpg

They have their own ejection seat
Their own jet engine
Their own air frame
Their own data link
Their own radar
Their own hud system
Their own mobile mapping system
Their own ground targeting RADAR
What is left
Even israel and Indian cannot produce all those systems.

If all this is true then why go for an F5 frame?

I like Iran, but sorry to say...this is a lemon.

If all this is true then why go for an F5 frame?

I like Iran, but sorry to say...this is a lemon.
Because of owj that was the only engine they had develop so far. Iran's problem is not fighter jet now but engine. They have stealth but why do you think 313 looks like a toy Iran needs to develop a bigger engine. When Iran develops a new engine it will explode on the world. Choosing the F-5 was due to engine nothing else.

Similar unveiling for the same aircraft took place in the US in 1959.

DlJpK-xWsAACjCF.jpg
Ok show me one single part of a fighter jet produced by Saudi Arabia locally without foreign aid and assistance .. engine? avionic? landing gear?radar? jet seat?

Almost all part of Iranian one is designed, manufactured and tested in Iran by Iranians and are completely new brand in comparison with original F-5 ...
F5 Radar:
APQ-153 radar.png
Kowsar:
DlIMiovUYAUR1M4.jpg

F5 cockpit :

F-5E Tiger II cockpit.jpg
Kowsar:
DlIOQC3U8AIBpOS.jpg

Still and after decades f5 is a good fighter jet for CAS operations next to it is low and cheap maintenance and still many countries operate it from Turkey to Spain and Greece .. while we are working on heavier engine.

I am well wisher for Iran and wish them good luck. But if they defend this then i will laugh inside.

I am well wisher for Iran and wish them good luck. But if they defend this then i will laugh inside.

I don't like Iran but even I'll admit people are being pretty stupid for judging the plane just because it looks like an F-5, even though from a technological standpoint it's much more advanced.

I don't like Iran but even I'll admit people are being pretty stupid for judging the plane just because it looks like an F-5, even though from a technological standpoint it's much more advanced.
Don't convince me there are far more technological savvy people in this forum than me and yes avionics is far more superior than 1960's contrary to the we are in 2018.

All in all good luck Iran and long road ahead in aviation industry for them.

Back
Top Bottom