What's new

Iran: No oil through strait if sanctions applied

Iran’s threat: Easier said than done!
Posted on December 30, 2011

By HASSAN BARARI

While the American noose is slowly but surely tightening around the neck of the Iranian regime, senior Iranian officials delivered a clear and sharp warning of what Tehran could and would do in retaliation.

Explicit in these statements is that Iran would retaliate against sanction by disrupting oil shipments that pass through the Strait of Hormuz. If Tehran follows through its threats and shut this vital passageway — through which one third of the world seaborne oil passes every day — then the price of oil will skyrocket.

The Iranian regime feels that it is being targeted by the United States in particular. Cutting off Iran from the global energy market is on the front burner for the American administration. In fact, Washington has been laying the groundwork to do this without necessarily causing a spike in oil prices or alienating European countries. The European Union will decide in a few weeks whether to boycott the Iranian crude. The West is set to do what it takes to deprive Iran of oil revenues hoping this will force the Iranian regime to ditch its controversial uranium enrichment plans.

To demonstrate its readiness to follow through its threats, Tehran started a 10-day navy exercise to keep the readiness of the forces for any future naval confrontation. Admiral Habibollah Sayyari, Iran’s Navy Commander, stated, “Closing the Strait of Hormuz is very easy for Iranian naval forces.” Reza Rahimi, the Iranian Vice President, also stressed that Tehran would shut the Strait in retaliation for sanction on its oil exports.

And yet, there is a good reason to assume that Tehran’s threat is part of its psychological warfare against its foes. The objective is clearly to get the world attention hoping this will put pressure on Washington to back off. Evidently, Iran does not have the military capability to shut the Strait of Hormuz and the world will not tolerate closing of the only regional energy shipping corridor. Additionally, Tehran needs the Strait as much as the rest as it depends on this corridor for oil shipments to China — its biggest client. Therefore, an attempt to shut off the Strait is tantamount to an economic suicide and Iran cannot afford to shoot itself in the foot.

In Washington, strategists make a distinction between what Iran can say and can do. As a result, they do not read too much into these statements that seem to be said out of desperation rather than a real plan that can be implemented in the near future. At best, Iranians seek to cause a spike in oil prices, remind American trading partners that supporting the new sanctions would come at unaffordable cost, and negatively impacting the American economy. Interestingly, the sanctions were passed in the Senate by a rare 100 votes.

By downplaying the importance of Iran’s threat, it seems that the world is calling Iran’s bluff. On the one hand, almost half of Iranian revenues come from oil. To successfully shut off the Strait will hurt the already troubled Iranian economy. On the other hand, Saudi Arabia and can offset the shortage of oil in case Iran blocks the Strait. The alternative routes exist albeit longer and not cheaper.
Source: Arab News

wrong, it's like 2 years or so that Iran doesn't sell its oil in dollars to China and probably some other countries too.

It is only a miniscule part of the overall oil trade; that is my point.

Iran to fire long-range missiles as tension grows in Gulf

Tehran is preparing to fire long-range missiles during naval exercises in the Persian Gulf on Saturday, according to Admiral Mahmoud Mousavi, deputy commander of the Iranian navy. Several kinds of missiles, including long-range missiles, will be tested, he told Fars news agency on Friday. Earlier Tehran warned it would close the passage of ships through the Strait of Hormuz if the West imposes new sanctions over suspicions about the country’s nuclear program. The US Navy reassured it would prevent Tehran’s move. Iran’s long-range missile systems, including the Shahab-3, are capable of hitting Israel and US bases in the region.

I worry for the American soldiers they are not used to anyone fighting back and as such may cause problems

I worry for the American soldiers they are not used to anyone fighting back and as such may cause problems

I don't see any fight between Iran & US in near future. BTW - what's the military strength of african countries? :D

I don't see any fight between Iran & US in near future. BTW - what's the military strength of african countries? :D

yea I think you are right. I think these political leaders have nothing to do. you would think with so much suffering going on in the world these guys could find some time to do something worthwhile

Iran was unable to take Basra in 8 years. American soldiers took it in one week.

Iran was unable to take Basra in 8 years. American soldiers took it in one week.
yes you are right.usa take the basra with 2000 fighters and Thousands of new tanks and with ful suport of europe and other nations.and we coudnt take basra because we had just 100 main battle tank and and 5 tomcats and Weak economy.
now answer this question
tell me why you coudnt take lebnon 2006 war but syria could???

I worry for the Iranian soldiers they are not use to fighting against people that shoots back like the protestors didn't.

yes you are right.usa take the basra with 2000 fighters and Thousands of new tanks and with ful suport of europe and other nations.and we coudnt take basra because we had just 100 main battle tank and and 5 tomcats and Weak economy.
Your numbers are absurd. US did not had 2000 fighters or thousands of tanks. Iran had 80 Tomcats not 5 in addition many Phantoms, F-4, many many hundreds of Chiefrain tanks, M60 and so on.

Basically u already found excuse what will happen if US will kick ur arse: they had 20000 new tanks 30000 fighters, Europe support and we had only 2 Tomcats and 100 T-72 tanks. :(

now answer this question
tell me why you coudnt take lebnon 2006 war but syria could???
here main objectives of Israel's wars in Lebanon:

1982 - kick PLO out of Lebanon.
2006 - stop Hezbollah attacks.

Both were achieved.

500 > the army of Iraq was in a very bad situation in 2002. Not at all the situation of 80s.
Not even near the situation of the army when Iraq invaded Kuwait.
So we can not compare the two situations.
But of course army of US is much superior to Iran by technology and that's why it is called an asymetric war if any war.

500 > about Lebanon you forgot as well that the army was led by an aviation general right and that he badly operated.
am i right?
anyway Hezbollah is a good exemple of "asymetric war"

oldman > there is as well a regular army. They said they would not accept to act against the protesters
but in this regular army there are some sepah elements who are there to check
Sepah even is a complex army. some of sepah are in business more than army
some are groups of security interior
and the most violent group "pressure group" is from direct orders of Khamenei, not having anything to do with sepah
sepah is obeying to Khamenei when as said above the regular army is just there to defend the country, not killing its citizens

Your numbers are absurd. US did not had 2000 fighters or thousands of tanks. Iran had 80 Tomcats not 5 in addition many Phantoms, F-4, many many hundreds of Chiefrain tanks, M60 and so on.

Basically u already found excuse what will happen if US will kick ur arse: they had 20000 new tanks 30000 fighters, Europe support and we had only 2 Tomcats and 100 T-72 tanks. :(

here main objectives of Israel's wars in Lebanon:

1982 - kick PLO out of Lebanon.
2006 - stop Hezbollah attacks.

Both were achieved.
in last ages of the war we had just 5 tomcats in service
do you know sth about main battle tank?m-60 is not a main battle tank.our only main battle tank was chiften that we had just 100 chiften in service.
but now our situation is too different we have about 1000 Ballistic missiles (such as shahab 2,3 and sejjil2 and ashoora) for you and +100000 missiles for your american friends HQs in midle east.
we have the strongest navy in the midle east too.
we have 24 mig-31s,26 su-27s,25 su-25s,24 su-24s,50 to 75 mig-29s,50 f-14s,6 tu-22m3
+24 saeghe's.and soon we'll show you our 5st gen fighter that we call it shafaq.
so now americans shoud make some Excuses.

stop hezbollah attacks???"?????????????????????????????????????
you are so funny.you cant even battle with a small group of hezbollah.and now you are speaking about IRAN

Yet Iran could not do anything to Saddam's Iraq despite huge numerical superiority.
lmao
I love how you deleted the rest of that commnet just so you could be an idiot and make a stupid wise *** comment

1) I told you, we didn't have any functioning amry or airforce. Everything was disbanded after the revolution. Most higher ups went to the US and the rest were either jailed or executed for having ties with the slave regime of the shah. We had a civilian army without the support of anyone.

2) Our pop'n back then was less than 30 million so our numerical superiority wasn't as great as you think.

3) Saddam was being kept afloat by Saudi/arab oil money and Western weaponary. The French even sent their pilots to bomb Iran.

4) We were short of everything back then, even RPG's. The shah hadn't set up any factories or production facilities (obviously) and during the war our hands were tied. We were short of simple things like FUEL PUMPS because we were cut off from our American suppliers and we didn't make **** back then.

You just showed what a dumb *** you're.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

It is only a miniscule part of the overall oil trade; that is my point.
you don't have a point, you just make **** up as you go. Arian corrected you, now you're digging yourself out of a hole, or at least trying to. Iran doesn't sell its oil in dollars. Our biggest customers pay in their own currency.

Last edited by a moderator:
in last ages of the war we had just 5 tomcats in service
do you know sth about main battle tank?m-60 is not a main battle tank.
our only main battle tank was chiften that we had just 100 chiften in service.
I was a tanker on M60. It can kick *** of any Iraqi tank easily. But for those who search excuses of course its not good.

but now our situation is too different we have about 1000 Ballistic missiles (such as shahab 2,3 and sejjil2 and ashoora) for you and +100000 missiles for your american friends HQs in midle east.
You dont have these numbers and these missiles are only good to terrorise civilians.

we have the strongest navy in the midle east too.
Turkey has million time stronger. Israel too.

we have 24 mig-31s,26 su-27s,25 su-25s,24 su-24s,50 to 75 mig-29s,50 f-14s,6 tu-22m3
U dont have any mig-31, su-27, tu-22. ALl you have is some 25 monkey model MiG-29 which are complete junk.

and soon we'll show you our 5st gen fighter that we call it shafaq.
lol

stop hezbollah attacks???"?????????????????????????????????????
Youp. after 2006 their attacks stopped.

you are so funny.you cant even battle with a small group of hezbollah.
We kicked their arses big time.

and now you are speaking about IRAN
We defeated 3 Arab nations in 6 days, you could not defeat 1 in 8 years. Oh yes excuses excuses.

Back
Top Bottom