What's new

Iran exported goods and services to Iraq worth $800 million in one-month period between April & May

My point is.. Iran is economically damaging Iraq.
You have to pay Iran $1000 billion for war compensation but you haven't payed yet (despite your huge petro incomes) while you payed compensation to Kuwait long ago.

In other words Shia majority Iraq has payed to Kuwait but not single penny to Iran yet.

That is absolutely fascinating, I had no idea about Iran's smart concrete. Thanks for posting that article
You are welcome.
Actually, the high quality of our ultra-high performance concrete was one of the reasons that the US concluded before the JCPOA that an attack on our nuclear facilities cannot work as expected.

But the article you mentioned says they banned these products to boost your local companies, not because they were of low quality.

I have been to the UAE several times (as an example of a wealthy Arab country in the region). I can assure you that our juice, beverages, ice creams and pastries are of equally high quality compared to most of the things I found there. And my hotel always want in good parts of Dubai.

Our cement is actually quite good. If you don't believe me, read this article on The Economist:
Iran makes some of the world’s toughest concrete. It can cope with earthquakes and, perhaps, bunker-busting bombs
https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2012/03/03/smart-concrete

Also, we are one of the world's TOP 10 cement producers. We are pretty established in cement production.

And if you can, I'm still curious about the price of SAIPA products in Iraq.

When it comes to the quality it's the general opinion of locals who interact with these products that they're of low-quality. A simple google search will give you all the sources there are. These are opinions of daily users, not a Quality Control report to measure it against international standards of production. I can't find such documents as they wouldn't be in English. The whole point of the poor quality being mentioned is tied to the lack of necessity to import en masse as a lot of it can be produced locally.

A bit older article from 2009; https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB123732669334561799.

Iraq used to produce bricks, today the country produces no bricks as Iranian bricks are being mass imported. Do you think a brick requires a genius engineer.. I agree that for example MAPNA group provides expertise which Iraq lacks, they are generally well received. But bricks and the load of other shit being imported is nothing but a way to benefit Iran and damage Iraq.

As for SAIPA, I don't live there to know the price.

You have to pay Iran $1000 billion for war compensation but you haven't payed yet (despite your huge petro incomes) while you payed compensation to Kuwait long ago.

In other words Shia majority Iraq has payed to Kuwait but not single penny to Iran yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if the retards we have in Iraq start paying you soon. The process of Arabization has suffered a major setback in the region.

Iraqi govt has no choice, they're forced at gun point by Iranian proxies in Iraq that will murder politicians and activists who don't prioritize a one sided relationship with Iran.

Also US gov't pressures Iraqi govt to accept exports from Iran to decrease impact of sanctions on Iran. US can't see Iranian gov't collapse as it is a strategic asset for Russia,US , Israel and EU.

It's the ones ruling Iraq today, back in the old days they were running to Rafha camp in Saudi Arabia to hide. The good old days. I'll end it with that.

When it comes to the quality it's the general opinion of locals who interact with these products that they're of low-quality. A simple google search will give you all the sources there are. These are opinions of daily users, not a Quality Control report to measure it against international standards of production. I can't find such documents as they wouldn't be in English. The whole point of the poor quality being mentioned is tied to the lack of necessity to import en masse as a lot of it can be produced locally.

A bit older article from 2009; https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB123732669334561799.

Iraq used to produce bricks, today the country produces no bricks as Iranian bricks are being mass imported. Do you think a brick requires a genius engineer.. I agree that for example MAPNA group provides expertise which Iraq lacks, they are generally well received. But bricks and the load of other shit being imported is nothing but a way to benefit Iran and damage Iraq.

But ordinary people usually are clueless about the quality of products. They believe whatever they are told. If American-backed media tell them that Iran is ripping them off by selling them low quality products, they will buy it without thinking twice. The quality of a product needs to be assessed by experts in labs, not by clueless people.

Here in Iran the media supporting American/Western policies tell Iranians that we are giving these products to you for free and you never pay back for them because the Mullahs of Iran want Iraq to prefer Iran over the US. There in Iraq they tell you that Iran is ripping you off and overcharging you by selling you low quality products while ruining your economy.

And the article on the Wall Street Journal is exactly one of those articles I mentioned. They have always been telling us this sort of things about Chinese products, while the US at the same imported larger volumes of products from China than Iran.

There is something called comparative advantage in economics. Iran is a major gas and electricity exporter in the region, but in some cities near the Turkmenistan border, we import electricity and gas from Turkmenistan. Why? Because it will end up cheaper for us. There's a good chance that your companies can't outperform Iranian products at the price range they are offered at. That's why Iranian bricks are mass imported.

But ordinary people usually are clueless about the quality of products. They believe whatever they are told. If American-backed media tell them that Iran is ripping them off by selling them low quality products, they will buy it without thinking twice. The quality of a product needs to be assessed by experts in labs, not by clueless people.

Here in Iran the media supporting American/Western policies tell Iranians that we are giving these products to you for free and you never pay back for them because the Mullahs of Iran want Iraq to prefer Iran over the US. There in Iraq they tell you that Iran is ripping you off and overcharging you by selling you low quality products while ruining your economy.

And the article on the Wall Street Journal is exactly one of those articles I mentioned. They have always been telling us this sort of things about Chinese products, while the US at the same imported larger volumes of products from China than Iran.

There is something called comparative advantage in economics. Iran is a major gas and electricity exporter in the region, but in some cities near the Turkmenistan border, we import electricity and gas from Turkmenistan. Why? Because it will end up cheaper for us. There's a good chance that your companies can't outperform Iranian products at the price range they are offered at. That's why Iranian bricks are mass imported.

Aside from those trying to influence the narrative of Iranians or Iraqis, if you look at Iraq's level of imports and exports then you can see there is something wrong beyond ability of the people. The policies are wrong and the policies are made by the government, which as we know has been very close to Iran. When you combine that with that amount of political meddling from Iran you know what conclusions will be taken.

It's not just about the economical side of it, it's about employing the people. There are laws in many countries to protect domestic production, those are obviously needed. Having a population with no jobs and only a non-productive public sector workforce is a disaster.

Iraqi govt has no choice, they're forced at gun point by Iranian proxies in Iraq that will murder politicians and activists who don't prioritize a one sided relationship with Iran.
@WebMaster @The Eagle @Serpentine @PakSword @Foxtrot Alpha

I wouldn't be surprised if the retards we have in Iraq start paying you soon. The process of Arabization has suffered a major setback in the region.
And how much you import from far countries like China or even European countries?

Aside from those trying to influence the narrative of Iranians or Iraqis, if you look at Iraq's level of imports and exports then you can see there is something wrong beyond ability of the people. The policies are wrong and the policies are made by the government, which as we know has been very close to Iran. When you combine that with that amount of political meddling from Iran you know what conclusions will be taken.

It's not just about the economical side of it, it's about employing the people. There are laws in many countries to protect domestic production, those are obviously needed. Having a population with no jobs and only a non-productive public sector workforce is a disaster.

There are different economic ideas. Those laws that you talk about are usually put in place by protectionists. Trump is a protectionist and although it is believed that his trade policies might have affected the US economic indicators positively, the long-term consequences of his protectionist policies have been criticized by independent economists.

The US has been ruling the world's economy by outsourcing and importing from other countries for decades. That's why there's a WTO. If you import things in a wise way with a long-term development plan, you will be able to develop your own industries where you have a comparative advantage and your economy will grow. But unfortunately the Middle Eastern countries have preferred to go for the easier way: sell crude oil or petrochemicals.

but bro if you do not import from Iran you will import from another country. to me it seems like a management issue from Iraqi government.

but bro if you do not import from Iran you will import from another country. to me it seems like a management issue from Iraqi government.

It is a management issue, the answer is local production and incentives towards building a private sector. Iraq is a welfare state, everyone is an employee of the state and does not produce any output. The state has millions of employees yet it is extremely inefficient and corrupt.

Most Iraqis don't care about their own country, i'm aware they're trashing their own country mostly out of selfishness and ignorance. This issue exists in Iran as well to a degree, water and electricity may be cheap there and the citizens tend to waste it.

I'm not here to bash Iran solely for this as if people in Iraq are dying to build a prosperous state, i'm aware that's not the case. Iraq today is much more 'free' and safe if you count out the ISIS retards than during Saddam's regime. However the state and its effectiveness is non-existant when compared to that of the Saddam era. There is no real state neither do neighbors respect the state in any way. Iran has a hand in this, the dozens of Hezbollahis roaming around are Iran's work and that is shortly said a cancerous export from Iran to Iraq. I don't know what they feed you guys over there to believe you're doing us a favor.

If you tell me ISIS. The most effective force against ISIS in Iraq has been ISOF, which is the closest to America force in Iraq there is. You don't need to turn Iraq into Hezbollahistan to fight ISIS, you can just support the army we have.

Last edited:
ERBIL, Kurdistan Region — Iran exported goods and services worth $800 million to Iraq in a month-long period between April and May, confirmed an Iranian official, despite the strict measures the latter has taken to curb the spread of novel coronavirus, including the closure of several border crossings.

“In the month of Ordibehesht [April 20 to May 20] around 800 million dollars was exported from Iran to Iraq. We expect this figure to go up in the month of Khordad, [May 21 to June 21]" Tasnim News Agency quoted Hamid Hosseini, secretary general of the Iran-Iraq Joint Chamber of Commerce on Monday, as saying.

"We predict that it will be more than this in June," he added.

Iraq is the second-largest importer of Iranian products. It follows China, which mostly receives petrochemicals from the Middle Eastern country. Iraqi imports from Iran focus predominantly on agricultural products, engineering services, construction material, and energy, including electricity and natural gas.

Iraq accounted for $9 billion of Iran’s $12.5 billion total exports in 2019.

“Despite the current obstacles including the sanctions and the American pressures, we will try and keep a good figure in terms of exports to this country [Iraq],” said Hosseini.

The devastating economic impact of the coronavirus has dealt a significant blow to trade volume between Iraq and Iran in 2020.

Iran fast became the regional epicenter and one of the world’s worst-hit countries by the pandemic after recording its first case in Qom in February of this year.

As cases of infection began to seep into Iraq – many of which were people who had returned from Iran – Baghdad began restricting travel, shutting its five main border crossings with its eastern neighbor in mid-March. Baghdad has not yet announced any schedule to fully reopen its borders with Iran.

The Kurdistan Region did not follow Baghdad’s lead, however, choosing to keep its three major border crossings with Iran open for trade throughout the pandemic period. Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) authorities only closed the border during a three-day complete shutdown of all movement between April 4 to 6.

Hosseini says he expects all of Iraq’s border crossings with Iran to open within the next “one or two weeks.”

"Currently, the Mehran border is active and the border is open two days a week," he said, referring to a crossing open for trade.

Iran has on multiple occasions in the course of the past four months pressured Iraq to open its crossings with them.

https://www.rudaw.net/english/business/22062020

congratulations.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom