What's new

Iran ex-president says country can’t stay ‘angry with the world’

Esfand

Reaction score
Country
India
Washington Post

TEHRAN, Iran — An influential Iranian ex-president is calling for deep changes in the country’s foreign policy, saying Iran can no longer remain “angry with the world.”

The statement by Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani is an unusually pointed criticism of the combative style of outgoing President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, whose critics say has internationally isolated Iran.

Rafsanjani made the remarks during a meeting with university teachers in Tehran that was posted on his website, hashemirafsanjani.ir, on Monday.

His ally Hasan Rouhani won a landslide victory in June 14 presidential election, and will be sworn in Aug. 4, replacing Ahmadinejad.

Rouhani has pledged to follow a “path of moderation” and interaction with the outside world, reviving hopes for easing of tensions with the West.

----------

Do people here believe that Rohani will take a more open approach towards Western countries, once he gets inaugurated?

Do people here believe that Rohani will take a more open approach towards Western countries, once he gets inaugurated?

I hope so but not to the point that they would walk all over him and take advantage of the country. I'm all for better relations with the West and the East.

funny, really funny, the man whose foreign policy led to arrest warrant for him by the western countries, now is talking BS.
as far as I know this is western countries (and not the whole world) that are angry with Iran.
looks like the old man is loosing his mind.

funny, really funny, the man whose foreign policy led to arrest warrant for him by the western countries, now is talking BS.
as far as I know this is western countries (and not the whole world) that are angry with Iran.
What do you think is better, good relations to the west or to countrys like NK and venezuela?

Be clear with yourself: If you don't agree with west, then you should accept those 'arrest warrants' are nothing but bs and only for political animosity. If you agree with west, then you are contradicting yourself.
He is no angel, but he is far better than Ahmadinejad and his likes. Something like bad and worse.

What do you think is better, good relations to the west or to countrys like NK and venezuela?
what's the good relations? giving up nuclear energy and a few years later living in the dark? closing our eyes to Israel's crimes, leaving syria alone so that Zionists and their Wahhabi slaves could tear this country apart?

Be clear with yourself: If you don't agree with west, then you should accept those 'arrest warrants' are nothing but bs and only for political animosity. If you agree with west, then you are contradicting yourself.
He is no angel, but he is far better than Ahmadinejad and his likes. Something like bad and worse.
he and his family are just thief and hypocrite, Moavie (معاویه) of our era.
I'm super clear with myself, I don't agree with west, but he and his foreign policies has no position to be a critic to Ahmadinejad.
and Ahmadinejad is thousand times better than Hashemi and his likes.

he and his family are just thief and hypocrite, Moavie (معاویه) of our era.
I'm super clear with myself, I don't agree with west, but he and his foreign policies has no position to be a critic to Ahmadinejad.
and Ahmadinejad is thousand times better than Hashemi and his likes.

The majority says otherwise, or they would have chosen Jalili instead of Rohani.
Jalili is a Quasi-Ahmadinejad, a hardliner version.

The majority says otherwise, or they would have chosen Jalili instead of Rohani.
Jalili is a Quasi-Ahmadinejad, a hardliner version.
first of all there is not majority, Rohani hardly managed to get more than 50%, secondly many of Iranian voted to him because he is a cleric and had a background in revolution, while jalili didn't have any background.
Rohani and his economy promises :lol:, which now he is withdrawing one by one. in the other hand jalili didn't claim for anything.

anyway this topic was about Hashemi.
I suggest to close the presidential election thread and open a sticky thread for politics, what's your opinion.

I agree that Iran has justified reasons to be angry with USA and the West considering how Uncle Sam and Brits toyed with their country's economy throughout cold war era and the Shahs ruined a beginning that could have been the best for Iran.

The Shah had absolute power which means that he could have super-sped the modernization of Iran in terms of manufacturing, infrastructure and education. Combined this with his liberal westernized attitude, Iran would have been the Japan of Middle East. It was already developed but could have become even more powerful.

But instead, Pahlavi ruined it by using national wealth for ultra-luxurious lives and watching common Iranians suffer.

That is what triggered the revolution and even the non-religious Iranians got pissed enough to say 'anyone but this guy'.

But Rafsanjani has a valid point now.

While the world isn't just US and EU, they are still important players.

One doesn't have to bow down to the west to maintain good relations with them. They can still be open but closed enough to draw the line of limitation.

If China of Cold War could partner with USA, Iran certainly can.

Back
Top Bottom