Al Bhatti

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
May 24, 2014

Iran billionaire executed over $2.6b fraud
Lawyer says his client was put to death without any notice

1226636733.jpg

In this picture Feb. 18, 2012 photo, released by the Iranian Students News Agency, ISNA, Mahafarid Amir Khosravi speaks at his trial in a court in Tehran, Iran.

A billionaire businessman at the heart of a $2.6 billion state bank scam, the largest fraud case since the country’s 1979 Islamic Revolution, was executed Saturday, state television reported.

Authorities put Mahafarid Amir Khosravi, also known as Amir Mansour Aria, to death at Evin prison, just north of the capital, Tehran, the station reported. The report said the execution came after Iran’s Supreme Court upheld his death sentence.

Khosravi’s lawyer, Gholam Ali Riahi, was quoted by news website khabaronline.ir as saying that his client was put to death without any notice.

“I had not been informed about execution of my client,” Riahi said. “All the assets of my client are at the disposal of the prosecutor’s office.”

State officials did not immediately comment on Riahi’s claim.

The fraud involved using forged documents to get credit at one of Iran’s top financial institutions, Bank Saderat, to purchase assets including state-owned companies like major steel producer Khuzestan Steel Co.

Khosravi’s business empire included more than 35 companies from mineral water production to a football club and meat imports from Brazil. According to Iranian media reports, the bank fraud began in 2007.

A total of 39 defendants were convicted in the case. Four received death sentences, two got life sentences and the rest received sentences of up to 25 years in prison.

The trials raised questions about corruption at senior levels in Iran’s tightly controlled economy during the administration of former President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Mahmoud Reza Khavari, a former head of Bank Melli, another major Iranian bank, escaped to Canada in 2011 after he resigned over the case. He faces charges over the case in Iran and remains on the Islamic Republic’s wanted list. Khavari previously admitted that his bank partially was involved in the fraud, but has maintained his innocence.

Iran billionaire executed over $2.6b fraud | GulfNews.com

Sweet.. when billionaires are executed, this speaks volumes about the level of justice in the country. We need this in Pakistan and when implemented, news would be

"4500 millionaires were found guilty of corruption and executed. Some of the millionaires were "Shareefs" and others were "Badmash" but the most condemned millionaire was a media tycoon arrested from Dubai.

Last edited:
A brain farted Human Right defender : He should not execute , 2.6$ billion dollars isn't too high measure. Iran does not observe human rights ... !

If the allegations were indeed true, then I can't hate on Iran for this. This was an execution of someone who did severe damage to the Iranian people, and did it intentionally.

Exactly, so that whole ideology is bankrupt/failed.
Well , I don't blame ideology for the weakness of peoples , its an ideology like any other ideology , as there is corrupt officials in any country , you also can find some here

every system is ideological no matter if its pluralistic or monolithic .

Life in term would have been fine but execution is a bit harsh don't you think? I am all for capital punishment for rapists and killers but fraud isn't really murder is it?

Life in term would have been fine but execution is a bit harsh don't you think? I am all for capital punishment for rapists and killers but fraud isn't really murder is it?
well , the extent of the fraud is important . 2.6bn dollar is not small for Iran Economy .

well , the extent of the fraud is important . 2.6bn dollar is not small for Iran Economy .

Yeah that is a huge amount of money for a nation under sanctions. I wonder were there more people involved too?

Theatre. Whole Islamic republic is corrupt and is based on corruption, Larijani mafia gang, the bonyad system, Rafsanjani gang are just few examples. Ahmadinejad exposed them, so called leader (rahbar) protects them.
Failed Ikhwan/Islamism ideology like failed communism ideology are ideologies of the elite (Those who support the ideology are allowed to steal, those who are not part of the system and do the same are executed for corruption, or hands cut off)

It looks like corruption and ME are two inseparable things. No exceptions apply. That’s why political reforms are always short lived. Whenever “reformists” taste the real cash it is just over. I don’t think that the ME is currently in a position to operate, as states and institutions, without corruption . Not before 80 – 100 years of massive massive cultural and legal reforms.

I have no issue with execution for fraudsters who steal millions if not billions.

Bro you know how many people lost their life fortunes here in the states when the banks collapsed? No banker even got any jail time and they were 100% responsible and knew what they were doing when they swindled people out of money.

Back
Top Bottom