What's new

Inside KMRL-TATA Elxsi & Alstom India Designed Metropolis Trainsets For Kochi Metro

Chanakya's_Chant

Reaction score
Country
India
Kochi metro in India unveils Alstom’s Metropolis train design

alstoms-new-metropolis-train-set-for-kochi-metro.jpg

Kochi Metro Rail has recently unveiled the design of the 65 metre long Metropolis train set built and designed by Alstom India in collaboration with KMRL and Indian design company Tata Elxsi, who is also in charge of the design of the livery of the metro..

new-fully-elevated-metro-rail-network.jpg

These metros will operate over Kochi's new fully elevated metro rail network which is 25.6 km long with 22 stations and are expected to carry upto 15,000 passengers per hour and direction.

65-metre-long.jpg

Each train will comprise of three cars which is about 65 metre long and will have a capacity to carry up to 975 passengers.

h.jpg

According to Alstom's press release, these metros will run at maximum operational speed of 80 km per hour and will be fitted with air conditioning and passenger information systems for a high level of passenger comfort.

greener-urban-transportation.jpg

Xavier Allard, Director Design & Styling, Alstom Transport said, 'The design of the Kochi metro has set a new benchmark in urban mobility in India with its technological innovations promoting greener urban transportation in the country.

The metro for Kochi supports KMRL's efforts to provide a comfortable, attractive and reliable service to Kochi residents and illustrates one of Alstom's key strategies to enhance passenger experience'.

newly-built-facility-of-sricity.jpg

The metro sets will be manufactured in the newly built facility of Sricity, in Andhra Pradesh, says the company.

contract-worth-euro-85-million.jpg

On October 2014, Alstom was awarded a contract worth euro 85 million (Rs 671.5-crore) from DMRC to supply 25 state-of-the-art metros to Kochi Metro Rail Ltd.

2nd-metro-contract-in-the-country-after-chennai.jpg

'This is our second metro contract in the country after Chennai. It confirms our commitment to provide competitive, innovative and high value products and solutions for our customers while serving the ever growing urban transportation market in India', said Dominique Pouliquen, Senior Vice-President Alstom Transport Asia-Pacific.
Source:- Kochi metro in India unveils Alstom’s Metropolis train design - Railway Technology

Last edited:
expected-to-be-delivered-in-2016.jpg

The train sets are expected to be delivered in early 2016.

Metro trains to feature ‘elephant tusk’ inspired lighting
tn_in-kochi-metro-impression-exterior-kmrc.jpg
INDIA: Kochi Metro Rail Ltd has revealed the future appearance of the 25 Metropolis trainsets which are to be supplied by Alstom Transport’s s Sricity plant.

The 1 435 mm gauge three-car trainsets will be 65 m long with wide walk-through gangways and four doors per car side. They will have a maximum speed of 80 km/h, and be powered from a 750 V DC third-rail supply. The turquoise train fronts will have a ‘distinctive’ curve and LED lights in the shape of elephant tusks, ‘an iconic symbol of India’. The line will be entirely elevated, and the lights ‘will illuminate the city at night’.

The train sides will be stainless steel, with aluminium and composite panels. Faiveley Transport is to supply the braking systems, couplers, external doors and heating, ventilation and air-conditioning systems as subcontractor to Alstom.

The interior is intended to provide a feeling of ‘serenity and security’ with turquoise and lemon chosen as ‘bright, harmonious colours’. The trainsets will have a capacity of 975 passengers, with 136 easy-clean composite seats in a longitudinal arrangement. Priority seats will have cushions, and there will be dedicated wheelchair spaces.

‘The design of the Kochi metro has set a new benchmark in urban mobility in India with its aesthetically-pleasing and stylish designs and technological innovations promoting greener urban transportation in the country’, said Xavier Allard, Director, Design & Styling, Alstom Transport.

Source:- Metro trains to feature ‘elephant tusk’ inspired lighting - Railway Gazette

I hope the construction is completed asap. Kochi is a mess right now.
Hey but who's complaining...we will get a smart metro soon. Yayy!

The elephant tusk LED's look cool - reflect the regional culture! Wish Lucknow gets something similar reflecting cultural diversity!

Last edited:
The elephant tusk LED's look cool - reflect the regional culture! Wish Lucknow gets something similar reflecting cultural diversity!
Just noticed it. :angel:
Lucknow might get something which resembles bada imambara. :P
Just kidding.
I like both the imambaras. Why dont you upload some pics of Lucknow someday?? Long time since I've been to Lucknow..hazrat ganj..meena bazar...hmmm.

Just kidding.
I like both the imambaras. Why dont you upload some pics of Lucknow someday?? Long time since I've been to Lucknow..hazrat ganj..meena bazar...hmmm.

Lucknow is full of illegal Bangladeshis now, you should visit, you ll feel right at home :partay:

Alstom begins manufacturing of train coaches for Kochi Metro

France-based Alstom has commenced manufacturing of rail coaches for Kochi Metro Rail, coinciding with the Make in India concept promoted by the Centre, at nearby Sri City Special Economic Zone.

Alstom had bagged the contract to supply 25 state-of-the-art Metropolis train sets to KMRL.

Union Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu formally unveiled the first Made in India car-body shell for Kochi Metro Rail Ltd, at a function at the manufacturing facility of Alstom Transport Ltd at Sri City SEZ, Tada.

Alstom is in charge of design, manufacturing, supply, installation, testing and commissioning of 25 standard track gauge trains with an option to supply 25 additional metro sets.

"KMRL expects that our rolling stock will be one of the fastest delivered coaches for any metro project in this country with the most modern design and advanced technology also being cost effective", Kochi Metro Rail Ltd., Managing Director Elias George said.

Each train would comprise three cars, about 65 metres long, with a capacity to carry 975 passengers.The first set of train are likely to be handed over by early next year,he said.

With the commencement of production at Sri City SEZ, Alstom Transport India Managing Director Bharat Salhotra said, "these trains will be manufactured end-to-end at our world class manufacturing facility at Sri City, which is a manifestation of the government's Make in India vision".

"The order from Kochi is our second metro contract in the country after Chennai Metro and reaffirms our commitment to provide 100 per cent localised, competitive, innovative and high value products for our customers.", he said.

Source:- Alstom begins manufacturing of train coaches for Kochi Metro | Business Standard News

Power Saver Tech for Kochi Metro Rail Cars

KOCHI: Alstom, which is manufacturing coaches for the Kochi Metro Rail Ltd is planning to incorporate advanced energy-efficient technology - Hesop - in the cars supplied to the project.

A proposal in this regard will be soon be submitted to Kochi Metro Rail Limited (KMRL). If the KMRL Board approves the proposal, Kochi will be the first Metro in India to be equipped with Hesop.

“Hesop is designed to deliver better energy efficiency for urban and suburban public rail transport networks. The technology optimises the power required for traction and captures more than 99 per cent of recoverable energy during braking mode. The energy thus developed while breaking can be re-injected into the electricity network,” said Bharat Salhotra, Managing Director, Alstom (Transport,India and South).

The energy recovered can be re-used for running another train or can be used to run station equipment like auxiliaries, escalators and lighting, ventilation. It can be even sold to electricity providers.

Alstom is hopeful of delivering the first train to Kochi by December 15. “We have kept December 15 as the tentative date for delivering the first train. The manufacturing of the coaches are progressing at the Alstom facility in Sri City. After conducting the trial run, we will wait for the feedback from the client. Then we will deliver the next set,” he said.

Source:- Power Saver Tech for Kochi Metro Rail Cars? -The New Indian Express

Just kidding.

Sure I will!

The technology optimises the power required for traction and captures more than 99 per cent of recoverable energy during braking mode. The energy thus developed while breaking can be re-injected into the electricity network,
:tup: :tup:
I'm glad that Kerala is switching to energy conservation mode. The glittering solar panels at the airport looked really cool. Btw Kochi airport is the 1st solar powered airport in the world...i think. Lol

i like the coach design (livery) and ergonomics. Wonderful design and i hope they won't leak like Reliance Metro (Mumbai) in rains, which was quite an embarrassment.
the system would be Kochi city's pride.

i like the coach design (livery) and ergonomics. Wonderful design and i hope they won't leak like Reliance Metro (Mumbai) in rains, which was quite an embarrassment.
the system would be Kochi city's pride.

Alstom's Sri City facility is known for quality - In fact they'r already exporting their coaches to Australia for Sydney Metro!

Sydney metro trains to be made near Chennai
20140228---Chennai-Metro---1.jpg
Alstom manufacturing facility at Sri City

CHENNAI: In two years, Chennai port will be exporting trains to Australia. The Alstom manufacturing facility at Sri City, near Tada on Tamil Nadu-Andhra Pradesh border, will be constructing 22 trains consisting six coaches each for the upcoming metro train project in Sydney. Chennai port will ship out the trains by end of 2016.

Recently a team of Australian officials visited the unit and were satisfied with the facilities at the unit. Following this the company received go-ahead to manufacture the trains. Incidentally, coaches for Chennai metro will also come from the same facility.

"The Australian officials were satisfied with the manufacturing facility and the engineers involved in the process. The total cost of the Sydney project is likely to be 280 million euros and the coaches will be as per the specifications given by the Australian authorities," Alstom India (transport) managing director Bharat Salhotra told TOI.

The company is responsible for the project management, design, supply, manufacturing, testing and commissioning of the rolling stock and signalling systems in Sydney. "The manufacturing facility near Chennai was set up to cater to Chennai metro rail as well as the Kochi metro rail for which the company has got the contract," said Salhotra.

Since Chennai is the nearest port to the manufacturing facility, the company proposes to send the coaches to Sydney through the port. "The logistics are being worked out and we will approach the port authorities eventually," he said.

The coaches will be different from the ones being manufactured for Chennai metro. "The metro coaches for the city will be different from the ones that will be manufactured for Sydney. Some features will be incorporated in the coaches as per the city's requirement," said Salhotra.

The manufacturing facility has been set up on a 2.8 lakh sqft site and employs over 200 workers. The factory has an energy-efficient design including double insulation, heat recovery systems, a geothermal heating and cooling system which consumes less energy and is equipped to recycle rainwater. The facility's location in the Sricity Special Economic Zone provides a lot of space for further expansion.

Source:- Sydney metro trains to be made near Chennai - The Times of India

It's already reflected in their logo!

20434187.54396e2d76f51.jpg

does private sector make coaches for indian railways ?

I hope the construction is completed asap. Kochi is a mess right now.
Hey but who's complaining...we will get a smart metro soon. Yayy!
It is a real mess !
btw we are getting a international air port ! (kannur )

but just three bogies .... inst it too less delhi metro me to 6 bogie metro is always jamm packed like its giving free rides to delhiets :hitwall:

Excellent!!! Very modern looking trains, :) god knows how Kolkata's new trains would be..

The new ac rakes of Kolkata metro seem ok? Simple and functional.

but just three bogies .... inst it too less delhi metro me to 6 bogie metro is always jamm packed like its giving free rides to delhiets :hitwall:

For Kochi its enough, given the population. And during peak hours they can couple two trains, making it six carriages.

Back
Top Bottom