What's new

Inside KMRL-TATA Elxsi & Alstom India Designed Metropolis Trainsets For Kochi Metro

Alstom's Sri City facility is known for quality - In fact they'r already exporting their coaches to Australia for Sydney Metro!

Sydney metro trains to be made near Chennai
20140228---Chennai-Metro---1.jpg

Alstom manufacturing facility at Sri City

CHENNAI: In two years, Chennai port will be exporting trains to Australia. The Alstom manufacturing facility at Sri City, near Tada on Tamil Nadu-Andhra Pradesh border, will be constructing 22 trains consisting six coaches each for the upcoming metro train project in Sydney. Chennai port will ship out the trains by end of 2016.

Recently a team of Australian officials visited the unit and were satisfied with the facilities at the unit. Following this the company received go-ahead to manufacture the trains. Incidentally, coaches for Chennai metro will also come from the same facility.

"The Australian officials were satisfied with the manufacturing facility and the engineers involved in the process. The total cost of the Sydney project is likely to be 280 million euros and the coaches will be as per the specifications given by the Australian authorities," Alstom India (transport) managing director Bharat Salhotra told TOI.

The company is responsible for the project management, design, supply, manufacturing, testing and commissioning of the rolling stock and signalling systems in Sydney. "The manufacturing facility near Chennai was set up to cater to Chennai metro rail as well as the Kochi metro rail for which the company has got the contract," said Salhotra.

Since Chennai is the nearest port to the manufacturing facility, the company proposes to send the coaches to Sydney through the port. "The logistics are being worked out and we will approach the port authorities eventually," he said.

The coaches will be different from the ones being manufactured for Chennai metro. "The metro coaches for the city will be different from the ones that will be manufactured for Sydney. Some features will be incorporated in the coaches as per the city's requirement," said Salhotra.

The manufacturing facility has been set up on a 2.8 lakh sqft site and employs over 200 workers. The factory has an energy-efficient design including double insulation, heat recovery systems, a geothermal heating and cooling system which consumes less energy and is equipped to recycle rainwater. The facility's location in the Sricity Special Economic Zone provides a lot of space for further expansion.

Source:- Sydney metro trains to be made near Chennai - The Times of India

Yup, its meant for the Sydney North West Metro. Will look like this.

NWRL-%20Sydney's%20new%20rapid%20transit%20train%20(Small).jpg

I'm not sure if you know that kerala had the highest population density in India... not so long ago.

Yeah, but Kochi has a population of less than a Million, Delhi around 10 Million :lol:

Not as good as Kerala's. :P

Highly suspicious! Bangladeshis talk like this! :D

The new ac rakes of Kolkata metro seem ok? Simple and functional.

New ac rakes are just that, simple and functional, and big...all trains are wide 8-coach broad-gauge trains...old rakes have become junk though. I was talking about the trains for new standard guage lines though, 5 more lines are coming.

Highly suspicious! Bangladeshis talk like this! :D

New ac rakes are just that, simple and functional, and big...all trains are wide 8-coach broad-gauge trains...old rakes have become junk though. I was talking about the trains for new standard guage lines though, 5 more lines are coming.

Even the underground section is meant to get new rakes, Made in China!

Modern Chinese rakes for Kolkata Metro | Business Standard News

huh?
Bangladeshi??? I am an illegal Bangladeshi! Get it right!:confused:

I was just saying. :coffee:

Khush to aaj bahaut hogi? :P

Excellent!!! Very modern looking trains, :) god knows how Kolkata's new trains would be..

TATA Elxsi should be roped in to design Indian Railway's rolling stock as well!

@Chanakya's_Chant just realised that you've posted it in the wrong section. Is it not supposed to be in south-central asia section?

Central and South Asian affairs section is mostly limited to Religion and Politics only - threads pertaining to other topics hardly even get noticed there - too much of trolling without any constructive/serious discussion. I have started to post most of my threads in Indian Defence section only.

does private sector make coaches for indian railways ?

No - not until now but yes they do are form the supply chain for the state owned assembly lines. @gslv mk3 can help. And very recently the Debroy panel recommended significant private participation in the railways including manufacturing of rolling stock by private firms all by themselves. Private locomotive assembly lines have already been cleared for establishment - coaches will follow.

ven the underground section is meant to get new rakes, Made in China!

Modern Chinese rakes for Kolkata Metro | Business Standard News

Integral Coach Factory, Chennai is also supplying AC rakes to Kolkata Metro. They should have gone for Alstom or Bombardier - even BEML was a good option if they were not satisfied with RCF.
7 new AC rakes to replace old ones - The Times of India

but just three bogies .... inst it too less delhi metro me to 6 bogie metro is always jamm packed like its giving free rides to delhiets :hitwall:

Delhi metro me 10 bogey bhi laga den tab bhi overcrowded hi rahegi - Their annual ridership is to cross 1 billion over the next two years!

There are currently 8 operational metro systems in India. Green background for the systems that are under construction. Blue background for the systems that are currently in planning, Yellow background for other proposed systems but no planning yet.

M1.PNG
M2.PNG
M3.PNG
M4.PNG
M5.PNG

Metro systems indeed portray India's emerging economy and economic developments taking place ever since the reforms of 1990's!

TATA Elxsi should be roped in to design Indian Railway's rolling stock as well!

Central and South Asian affairs section is mostly limited to Religion and Politics only - threads pertaining to other topics hardly even get noticed there - too much of trolling without any constructive/serious discussion. I have started to post most of my threads in Indian Defence section only.

No - not until now but yes they do are form the supply chain for the state owned assembly lines. @gslv mk3 can help. And very recently the Debroy panel recommended significant private participation in the railways including manufacturing of rolling stock by private firms all by themselves. Private locomotive assembly lines have already been cleared for establishment - coaches will follow.

Integral Coach Factory, Chennai is also supplying AC rakes to Kolkata Metro. They should have gone for Alstom or Bombardier - even BEML was a good option if they were not satisfied with RCF.
7 new AC rakes to replace old ones - The Times of India

Delhi metro me 10 bogey bhi laga den tab bhi overcrowded hi rahegi - Their annual ridership is to cross 1 billion over the next two years!

As a delhiwala I can assure you even if the prices are doubled ridership will not

i like the coach design (livery) and ergonomics. Wonderful design and i hope they won't leak like Reliance Metro (Mumbai) in rains, which was quite an embarrassment.
the system would be Kochi city's pride.
REliace's Anil bought them from China to increase its profit and to please chinese who are giving him loan,,both are unethical and greedy....Reliace under Anil is actually Un-Reliable!

REliace's Anil bought them from China to increase its profit and to please chinese who are giving him loan,,both are unethical and greedy....Reliace under Anil is actually Un-Reliable!
Reliance really has made a habit of cutting corners in any project. i don't subscribe to notion that Chinese products are generically poor in quality, they supply some of the best rolling stock comparable to what we can hope to get from EU or US.
however as you mentioned Reliance in a bid to increase profit margins must have done awaywith several QA checks or perhaps gone with lenient specifications in first place, resulting in this rather poor end product.

Back
Top Bottom