What's new

Inside Hanoi's gated communities: elite enclaves where even the air is cleaner

AViet

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
The multi-billion dollar Ciputra International City complex, in northwest Hanoi, covers 300 hectares (741 acres) of former farmland with mansions, private schools, a clubhouse and fine wine store. Surrounded by thick concrete walls and guarded gates, it is a private enclave of ostentatious wealth – a paradise for the Vietnamese capital’s expatriate and local elite. Inside the gates, wide roads are flanked by luxury cars, palm trees and giant statues of Greek gods.

Across the city, work is under way at Ecopark, a grand, $8bn (£5bn) private development being built on the eastern edge of Hanoi. Set to be completed in 2020, it promises secluded luxury with a private university, purpose-built “old town” and 18-hole golf course among the amenities planned. The first phase of the development, named Palm Springs – after the California desert resort city famous for hot springs, golf courses and five-star hotels – has just been completed.

Gated communities and vast, privately built and managed “new towns” like these have spread across southeast Asia over the last 20 years as rising levels of inequality have redefined the region’s cities. Vietnam as a whole has seen a dramatic reduction in poverty over the same period – but inequality is growing, and becoming increasingly marked in the country’s expanding urban areas.

“Before, most people were poor. Now it’s different,” says Lam, 40, who grew up on what was then the western fringe of Hanoi in the middle of fields of rice and cherry blossoms, kumquat and peach trees. Today he has a small business selling custom-made picture frames out of a shop-front carved from his house. The fields are long gone, and across the road a thick, high concrete wall separates Lam’s side (an unruly mix of motorbikes, plastic chairs set outside small tea shops, and dangling electrical wires) from the Ciputra complex, gated and guarded by 24-hour private security.

If you want to read the full story, http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...-gated-communities-elite-enclaves-air-cleaner

When I see this kind of badmouthing press in Western media, the false superiority complex in the article and bitterly jealous and deep hatred comments from these British readers, I know that Vietnam is going in the right way. Almost exactly what I have been reading in last 20 years about China.

When they see development, they will talk about "rising inequality". When they see people getting richer, they will talk about "beggars on the street". When they see someone badmouthing the government, they will talk about "coming revolution". As if the Western societies are in perfect balance.

The false superiority complex from Western media reminds me of the Communist Bloc media 20-30 years ago.

Last edited:
VN still need another big reform to make a better society.

TPP is the way VN must go even when it require lots of reform.

VN still need another big reform to make a better society.

TPP is the way VN must go even when it require lots of reform.

My friend, i think VN needs to look at Indonesia's development as a role model. They (Indonesian) are already constructing their first HSR ! The Malaysians and Thais are on their way too. What about the great Viet Nam? ;)

Time to choose, soon. Time to catch up with Indonesia, yes? What you think?

My friend, i think VN needs to look at Indonesia's development as a role model. They (Indonesian) are already constructing their first HSR ! The Malaysians and Thais are on their way too. What about the great Viet Nam? ;)

Ciputra is actually an Indonesian.

Ciputra is actually an Indonesian.

Yes, he is ! Born as Tjie Tjin Hoan, he is known in Indonesia as Ciputra. :)

founder-pic-1.jpg

nih, i just lost respect for you there. Vietnam will never be like the Indos. I'd rather choose the US, Germany, Italy or France as role models. Not indos. That's degrading..

ty.

If you want to read the full story, http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...-gated-communities-elite-enclaves-air-cleaner

When I see this kind of badmouthing press in Western media, the false superiority complex in the article and bitterly jealous and deep hatred comments from these British readers, I know that Vietnam is going in the right way. Almost exactly what I have been reading in last 20 years about China.

When they see development, they will talk about "rising inequality". When they see people getting richer, they will talk about "beggars on the street". When they see someone badmouthing the government, they will talk about "coming revolution". As if the Western societies are in perfect balance.

The false superiority complex from Western media reminds me of the Communist Bloc media 20-30 years ago.
bro, there is absolutely no need to care about what bad wishers say. the buildings and surroundings look nice. posting some pics.

1.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

LANDEDHOUSE1.JPG

LANDEDHOUSE2.JPG

nih, i just lost respect for you there. Vietnam will never be like the Indos. I'd rather choose the US, Germany, Italy or France as role models. Not indos. That's degrading..

I don't understand this ? Anyways, political differences aside, we have to look at practicality and feasibility of development. I think Indonesia's mastery of tech transfer and collaboration had led to genesis of their own local industry and local potentiality is praiseworthy. I believe Vietnam has the potential to seize that --- spirit !

bro, there is absolutely no need to care about what bad wishers say. the buildings and surroundings look nice. posting some pics.

1.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

LANDEDHOUSE1.JPG

LANDEDHOUSE2.JPG

Beautiful ! I love the architecture, the planning, beautiful ! Please post more pictures.

I don't understand this ? Anyways, political differences aside, we have to look at practicality and feasibility of development. I think Indonesia's mastery of tech transfer and collaboration had led to genesis of their own local industry and local potentiality is praiseworthy. I believe Vietnam has the potential to seize that --- spirit !

Beautiful ! I love the architecture, the planning, beautiful ! Please post more pictures.

No man, Vietnam don't need tech transfer. She can be as creative as the USA. I can tell you that Vietnam is capable of building nuclear weapons, drones, fighter jets, subs, robotics, etc, etc. But Vietnam is only limited by the basic manufacturing equipment and tools and education.

No man, Vietnam don't need tech transfer. She can be as creative as the USA. I can tell you that Vietnam is capable of building nuclear weapons, drones, fighter jets, subs, robotics, etc, etc. But Vietnam is only limited by the basic manufacturing equipment and tools and education.

Absolutely Viet Nam (just like Indonesia) is capable of these marvelous feats and heavy industry. I don't dispute that with you.

Same situation in Pakistan with Bahria town. But the counter argument to the "elite bashing" is that it is a provision of lifestyle to many that could not afford it before. As many of the tenants arent always going to be elites but also middle class citizens who yearn for a better life.

Absolutely Viet Nam (just like Indonesia) is capable of these marvelous feats and heavy industry. I don't dispute that with you.

She's nothing like Indonesia. Please keep that in mind. The Vietnamese language is Portuguese/French/Latin (there was a reason for choosing that). Our culture highly appreciate creativity and fine art. If anything, we are more closer to Italian culture or French.

She's nothing like Indonesia. Please keep that in mind. The Vietnamese language is Portuguese/French/Latin (there was a reason for choosing that). Our culture highly appreciate creativity and fine art. If anything, we are more closer to Italian culture or French.

Well both your languages (Vietnamese and Bahasa Indonesia) use the Latin script. You Vietnamese had replaced your Hanzi-based character system with Latin characters (used by the French). The Indonesians had also replaced their Javanese script (based on and influenced by Sansrkit) for the Latin alphabet (used by both the Portuguese and Dutch; both of whom had ruled what is now mostly-present day Indonesia).

Second, both of you are post-colonial states. And were birthed into existence after the ashes of the 2nd World War and after your (Vietnamese and Indonesian) Wars of Independence the old European Imperial Powers (French for Vietnam and Dutch for what is now present day Indonesia). The theme of local resistance to imperial aggression and requisition to tap into local power is a revolving and evolving theme, my friend.

My point? Well -- Viet Nam and Indonesia need not contest or find animosity in each other since both are very similar than they are different. In fact both of you are ancient trading partners that had coexisted for centuries even before the arrival of the French and Portuguese (then later the Dutch).

Some 2 centuries ago, my friend, your ancestors wrote fluently in Han tu (the Vietic expression of Han zi):

Tu_duc_thanh_che_tu_hoc_giai_nghia_ca.jpg

And the Indonesians wrote in something similar to the Batak script:

Manuscript_in_Toba-Batak_language,_central_Sumatra,_early_1800s_-_Robert_C._Williams_Paper_Museum_-_DSC00360.JPG

Back
Top Bottom