What's new

Inside Hanoi's gated communities: elite enclaves where even the air is cleaner

Well both your languages (Vietnamese and Bahasa Indonesia) use the Latin script. You Vietnamese had replaced your Hanzi-based character system with Latin characters (used by the French). The Indonesians had also replaced their Javanese script (based on and influenced by Sansrkit) for the Latin alphabet (used by both the Portuguese and Dutch; both of whom had ruled what is now mostly-present day Indonesia).

Second, both of you are post-colonial states. And were birthed into existence after the ashes of the 2nd World War and after your (Vietnamese and Indonesian) Wars of Independence the old European Imperial Powers (French for Vietnam and Dutch for what is now present day Indonesia). The theme of local resistance to imperial aggression and requisition to tap into local power is a revolving and evolving theme, my friend.

My point? Well -- Viet Nam and Indonesia need not contest or find animosity in each other since both are very similar than they are different. In fact both of you are ancient trading partners that had coexisted for centuries even before the arrival of the French and Portuguese (then later the Dutch).

Some 2 centuries ago, my friend, your ancestors wrote fluently in Han tu (the Vietic expression of Han zi):

Tu_duc_thanh_che_tu_hoc_giai_nghia_ca.jpg

Okay so I don't get why you're still obsessed about telling us what our culture is? When someone tell you they don't like to be categorized as another culture such as Indonesia, you need to respect that. I could categorize Japanese as North Korean and I can say the exact same thing like you did. However, you wouldn't like that either. No hard feelings. You need to understand boundaries. Some of us don't say it is that they don't like to hurt your feelings but someone has to do it.

Vietnam and Indonesia are not the same. Our writing aren't the same and we don't speak the same. We don't have the same type of food. We don't dress the same, we don't look the same. We don't act the same and that is what make us Unique.

Okay so I don't get why you're still obsessed about telling us what our culture is? When someone tell you they don't like to be categorized as another culture such as Indonesia, you need to respect that. I could categorize Japanese as North Korean and I can say the exact same thing like you did. However, you wouldn't like that either. No hard feelings. You need to understand boundaries. Some of us don't say it is that they don't like to hurt your feelings but someone has to do it.

Vietnam and Indonesia are not the same. Our writing aren't the same and we don't speak the same. We don't have the same type of food. We don't dress the same, we don't look the same. We don't act the same and that is what make us Unique.

1. I would not be offended if you said Japanese is 'similar' to North Korean since the Japanese DNA is actually very similar to Koreans. Second, Korea and Japan had bidirectionally influenced each other throughout history (ancient and recent).

2. I don't understand why you are getting so excited by my rationality and finding commonality between Viet Nam and Indonesia. Both are active players in the region, and both are also vital partners for Japan , so it is without ado that Japanese appraisal of both nations and both peoples (+societies, culture) will reflect that inclusivity.

Please don't take offense, bro. A hot bowl of pho for you, and for me, too. LOL!

11252901_1574439452819146_2061089469_n.jpg

348s.jpg

1. I would not be offended if you said Japanese is 'similar' to North Korean since the Japanese DNA is actually very similar to Koreans. Second, Korea and Japan had bidirectionally influenced each other throughout history (ancient and recent).

2. I don't understand why you are getting so excited by my rationality and finding commonality between Viet Nam and Indonesia. Both are active players in the region, and both are also vital partners for Japan , so it is without ado that Japanese appraisal of both nations and both peoples (+societies, culture) will reflect that inclusivity.

Please don't take offense, bro. A hot bowl of pho for you, and for me, too. LOL!

11252901_1574439452819146_2061089469_n.jpg

348s.jpg

Well ignorance is a bliss. Just don't tell me Vietnam is similar to Indonesia because we ain't. I'm telling you that right now. North Korea was a bad example in comparison.

Well ignorance is a bliss. Just don't tell me Vietnam is similar to Indonesia because we ain't. I'm telling you that right now.

Okay, bro. I shall be wary next time of your sensitivity. Vietnam is a uniquely Vietnamese nation state with national-state characteristics. :)

Beautiful ! I love the architecture, the planning, beautiful ! Please post more pictures.
as you like my friend

6W7A1805.JPG

6W7A1827.JPG

CIP11_0077.jpg

CIP11_0080.jpg

CIP11_0082.jpg

No man, Vietnam don't need tech transfer. She can be as creative as the USA. I can tell you that Vietnam is capable of building nuclear weapons, drones, fighter jets, subs, robotics, etc, etc. But Vietnam is only limited by the basic manufacturing equipment and tools and education.
bro, be more realistic. technology rarely falls down from blue sky, but must come from somewhere.
of course we need tech transfer. sure, we need to cooperate with others. Indonesia has an aviation industry, while we haven´t.

Okay, bro. I shall be wary next time of your sensitivity. Vietnam is a uniquely Vietnamese nation state with national-state characteristics. :)

Are you serious? It ain't sensitivity here, just brutally straight forward. Vietnam is Vietnam and Indonesia is Indonesia. Japan is Japan. We are all unique. However, you got something that I want and I got something that you want. That's how we connect. I don't like to sugar coat my words.

Gorgeous!!! @Viet my friend, your country is moving rapidly into medium-developed status , from the looks of these kinds of infrastructure developments. Wow ! Surely Vietnam has jumped forward so much since the early 1980s!

Let me provide some more pictures, too, bro!

s7vom8f0__1341543105_410614477_1-Hinh-anh-ca--Cho-thue-chung-cu-cao-cap-Ciputra.jpg

CIP11_0013.jpg

the-vincom-village-ecological-residential-area-was-awarded-the-best-complex-project-in-asia-pacific-of-the-international-property-awards-2013-638875-20140423162548-8.jpg

Ciputra-Hanoi-International-City.jpg

nih, i just lost respect for you there. Vietnam will never be like the Indos. I'd rather choose the US, Germany, Italy or France as role models. Not indos. That's degrading..

Well ignorance is a bliss. Just don't tell me Vietnam is similar to Indonesia because we ain't. I'm telling you that right now. North Korea was a bad example in comparison.

The feeling is mutual so all is good. :) [thumb up]

Yes, he is ! Born as Tjie Tjin Hoan, he is known in Indonesia as Ciputra. :)

founder-pic-1.jpg

Do you know?.. He start his business at very young age by selling his parents only chicken to Japanese troops occupying Indonesia in WWII.

as you like my friend

6W7A1805.JPG

6W7A1827.JPG

CIP11_0077.jpg

CIP11_0080.jpg

CIP11_0082.jpg

bro, be more realistic. technology rarely falls down from blue sky, but must come from somewhere.
of course we need tech transfer. sure, we need to cooperate with others. Indonesia has an aviation industry, while we haven´t.

I'm very realistic. Vietnam is capable of anything. Just limited by Advance manufacturing tools and Education.

Why did any Western media say something about it?
It looks just like an ordinary community.

Are you serious? It ain't sensitivity here, just brutally straight forward. Vietnam is Vietnam and Indonesia is Indonesia. Japan is Japan. We are all unique. However, you got something that I want and I got something that you want. That's how we connect. I don't like to sugar coat my words.

Do you know?.. He start his business at very young age by selling his parents only chicken to Japanese troops occupying Indonesia in WWII.

Yes, i think i remember reading about his family some time ago. I believe his family is Hakka / Teowchew Chinese lineage, as well. His story reminds me of another Huaren named Go Ehk Hui (John Gokongwei), a multibillionaire Filipino-Chinese who came from impoverished beginnings, but who helped his father and his family build an 'empire' in the Philippines. Btw, Go is a Hakka.

20150203162211.png

Seriously, something about Hakka / Teowchew Huaren --- they always succeed wherever they go overseas. I think it is a Southern Han thing -- to be very savvy business folks!!

We are all unique.

Actually Vietnam society is built upon nearly 2000 years of Confucian foundation. Culturally, yours is East Asian, tho geographically you are in the deep south of Asia, near Indus-civilization Southeast Asia.

Viet work ethic is explained by a saying "儒教的 魂"

I'm very realistic. Vietnam is capable of anything. Just limited by Advance manufacturing tools and Education.

:tup::tup:;)

Yes, i think i remember reading about his family some time ago. I believe his family is Hakka / Teowchew Chinese lineage, as well. His story reminds me of another Huaren named Go Ehk Hui (John Gokongwei), a multibillionaire Filipino-Chinese who came from impoverished beginnings, but who helped his father and his family build an 'empire' in the Philippines. Btw, Go is a Hakka.

20150203162211.png

Seriously, something about Hakka / Teowchew Huaren --- they always succeed wherever they go overseas. I think it is a Southern Han thing -- to be very savvy business folks!!

Actually Vietnam society is built upon nearly 2000 years of Confucian foundation. Culturally, yours is East Asian, tho geographically you are in the deep south of Asia, near Indus-civilization Southeast Asia.

Viet work ethic is explained by a saying "儒教的 魂"

:tup::tup:;)

It's like watching Manga. There's always an explanation to something.

It's like watching Manga. There's always an explanation to something.

Well you should not deny your nation and people's cultural relations to Greater East Asia. In fact much of traditional Viet Nam History (even post-Sino subjegation) was heavily influenced by succeeding Chinese culture (imperial court doctrine, taxation regimes, military organization, military technology). In fact one of the reason why your nation was able to demolish much inferior trained and equipped regional rivals such as the Chams, the Khmers and the Siamese (to an extent) was because Dai Viet states implemented Chinese-style warfare. The use of heavy bowmen, cavalry, and heavy infantry decimated the poorly-armored Siamese, Khmers, Chams (who went to war practically unarmored besides some wooden shields and their traditional spears / and or swords). Vietnamese employed to devastation effect Chinese inventiosn such as the 諸葛弩 (chu ke nu) , which annihilated entire Cham columns. Hence Champa's total extermination by the Viets. In fact the style of warfare your early Trung and Nguyen Lords were similar to that of China's Qin Shi Huang-Di -- who implemented a policy of National Solidarity and extermination of the great threat of Zhu. To an extent, Viet Nam did the same with Champa --- totally exterminating Champa from existence.

For instance one of the greatest Generals in ancient Vietnamese history is Ngô Vương Ngô Quyền. And he is depicted traditionally wearing classic Southern Han armor and regalia. :)

NgoQuyen_2.jpg

tran-hung-dao-binh-thu-yeu-luoc.jpg

NgoQuyen-636x495.jpg

T%C6%B0%E1%BB%A3ng_Ng%C3%B4_Quy%E1%BB%81n.jpg

In fact he is even Deified in some Vietnamese circles. His elevation from a General-Lord to Divine protector of Vietnam has an uncanny resemblance to the deification of Chinese General-Lord Guan Yu [ 關羽 ]

3_kingdoms___guan_yu_by_godfathersky-d6w2l0t.jpg

Altar_to_Guandi_in_a_restaurant_of_Beijing.png

Very unique, but very similar, too. ;)

Last edited:

.Singapore is country of Hakka people.

Back
Top Bottom