What's new

Insas rifles may be on its way out

Terminator

Reaction score
Country
India
NAGPUR: Insas, the country's first indigenously designed rifle which was used in the Kargil war but criticized by soldiers, may be finally on its way out from the Army.

The Army hasn't placed any fresh orders with the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) for the 5.56 Insas rifles for the current as well as the coming year.

Concurrently, the army is evaluating proposals from foreign vendors for new rifles, but a final decision is yet be to taken. It is scouring the arms market for advanced rifles which have features like interchangeable barrels of different calibre. Initially, the rifles will be purchased directly from the vendor. Later, it will be made at the ordnance factories under a transfer of technology (ToT) agreement with the vendor.

Sources in OFB say the army is likely to have not placed any order for Insas in light of the planned acquisition. "The army is supposed to have generated enough reserves by this time so as to meet any exigency," said a source in OFB.

OFB chairman Sudhir Kumar Beri confirmed about no indents being placed. Currently, the ordnance factories are making the Insas rifles for the paramilitary only.

Insas rifles may be on its way out - The Times of India

Was expected sooner or later, this junk was forcibly swallowed down the neck of Indian forces by our Babu's on account of national pride. Though it took 12 yrs of R&D to copy selected aspects of several rifles.

Was expected sooner or later, this junk was forcibly swallowed down the neck of Indian forces by our Babu's on account of national pride. Though it took 12 yrs of R&D to copy selected aspects of several rifles.

You are misinformed. Though INSAS suffered from troubles in the beginning,its accepted and loved throughout in indian armed forces as an accurate, versatile and reliable standard issue rifle.

I am so sure about it because i have came across countless soldiers in reallife and has used the rifle several times.

You are misinformed. Though INSAS suffered from troubles in the beginning,its accepted and loved throughout in indian armed forces as an accurate, versatile and reliable standard issue rifle.

I am so sure about it because i have came across countless soldiers in reallife and has used the rifle several times.

My experience is different though, what I came across with personals tell different story. They do not prefer it, complaints are several. I put OFB more responsible rather for its poor manufacturing quality. However I respect your approach too.

@ abingdonboy....bitter experiences dude.

My experience is different though, what I came across with personals tell different story. They do not prefer it, complaints are several. I put OFB more responsible rather for its poor manufacturing quality. However I respect your approach too.

@ abingdonboy....bitter experiences dude.

Just take a look at it bro,
Its light weight,accurate and reliable. Its 100 times better than our previous standard issue rifle SLR. The steel core ammo can take down level 3 BPJ from upto 400mtr.

INSAS Certainly wouldn't have survived this long in the Indian forces had it been a bad rifle.

sometimes it is hard to understand why indian products don t get appeciation from their armed forces.why they show a strong punchant for foreign stuff.Two reasons come to mind ,either the indian products are really that bad to meet the requirements of their forces or the forces expect too much from the local products or in other words `ghar ki murghi daal barabar`

Yep. Also don't forget to consider that the F-INSAS program has plenty of pvt players involved notably TATA defence solutions. This should help.

More over,F INSAS is to be executed in steps and it will give us room for errors.

i read it somewhere that oman army was interested in insas rifles ,is it true?

Back
Top Bottom