What's new

Insas rifles may be on its way out

Just take a look at it bro,
Its light weight,accurate and reliable. Its 100 times better than our previous standard issue rifle SLR. The steel core ammo can take down level 3 BPJ from upto 400mtr.

INSAS Certainly wouldn't have survived this long in the Indian forces had it been a bad rifle.

It is unreliable and not that accurate.

Had you really interacted with IA soldiers and that too infantrymen you would have known how much the soldiers still respect SLR coz of its hitting power.

INSAS get jammed frequently that too in cold weather and the magazine is too fragile to be in a soldiers hand.

Sorry in advance but it is a "piece of junk".

Its what i was saying bro,
INSAS is appreciated by the Indian Armed forces!

Maybe to those used to the SLR or BREN but if you talk to any Indian military guy who has had ANY sort of exposure to a MODERN AR like a Tavor or SCAR or even a M4 he will tell the the INSAS is a PoS in comparison. The INSAS was adequate at replacing the SLRs but in the 21st it just doesn't cut it.

You are misinformed. Though INSAS suffered from troubles in the beginning,its accepted and loved throughout in indian armed forces as an accurate, versatile and reliable standard issue rifle.

I am so sure about it because i have came across countless soldiers in reallife and has used the rifle several times.

Were they Infantrymen by any chance or were they part of some drills like in parades etc??

Wonder what's the use of European rifles that are fancy to look at, costly to pay and may get jammed in the Himalayan terrain.

And you think that the OFB is upto the task of delivering a next-gen assualt rifle to the IA? Dream on! The West now realises that riggedness is the way to go and is what they need so the idea that Western guns are all bark and no bite, or are all show is just not true. The likes of the HK 416/7, FN SCAR and Bushmasters are as rugged as they come and would put the INSAS to shame.

Thats BS!

No offence intended. :tup:

You are wrong and i am 100% sure with that.
Just think about it bro, INSAS comes from OFB,with no one to offer bribes in favour of the rifle. Do you think in anyway INSAS would have survived this long in a import friendly environment like ours had it been unappreciated or junk as claimed?

INSAS is in service with Army,Navy and Air force including special forces.Reliability,versatality and accuracy unquestioned,INSAS is in service in thar to leh to lakshadweep.

And you think that the OFB is upto the task of delivering a next-gen assualt rifle to the IA? Dream on! The West now realises that riggedness is the way to go and is what they need so the idea that Western guns are all bark and no bite, or are all show is just not true. The likes of the HK 416/7, FN SCAR and Bushmasters are as rugged as they come and would put the INSAS to shame.

Even the AK would.

There is a reason no Indian SOF Unit uses INSAS...not even the RR!

Even the AK would.

There is a reason no Indian SOF Unit uses INSAS...not even the RR!

The reasons IMO for which INSAS isn't widely used by Indian special forces:
1. Comparitively large size of rifle,normal for a standard issue rifle.
2.classic disadvantage of 5.56 mm round in special scenario.

Just think about it bro, INSAS comes from OFB,with no one to offer bribes in favour of the rifle. Do you think in anyway INSAS would have survived this long in a import friendly environment like ours had it been unappreciated or junk as claimed?

INSAS is in service with Army,Navy and Air force including special forces.Reliability,versatality and accuracy unquestioned,INSAS is in service in thar to leh to lakshadweep.

INSAS was forced upon the Army.Most of the people here think that the Army is against indigenous products but thats not true.

INSAS is very unreliable and puts the life of soldiers at risk.Not even the J&K SOG use INSAS forget about RR and other such units.

It performed pathetically in Kargil.

The Army was so upset that it decided that no INSAS product would be a part of F-INSAS.

Its not a large size for a assault rifle.

Why doesnt this classic disadvantage of 5.56 show up in Tavor?

The HK 416/7 is in the fray to be the next standard rifle of the IA (for 2 million+ men!).The results will be annoiced within the next 18 months I am told. But the chances of the PA going for such a weapon are slim right now, no? To equip the entire PA would cost BILLIONS that the PA just doesn't have.

It would be gradual change if this weapon was preferred.

INSAS was forced upon the Army.Most of the people here think that the Army is against indigenous products but thats not true.

INSAS is very unreliable and puts the life of soldiers at risk.Not even the J&K SOG use INSAS forget about RR and other such units.

It performed pathetically in Kargil.

The Army was so upset that it decided that no INSAS product would be a part of F-INSAS.

Its not a large size for a assault rifle.

Why doesnt this classic disadvantage of 5.56 show up in Tavor?

True..there are certainly issues with Insas.

The Tavor is not that different in length to the INSAS so the size issue is NOT why all SOFs in India have shown the INSAS the door. But I'll concede, to an extent, the INSAS is not widely used in JK because of the 5.56mm-the IA prefers the 7.62 to put down terrorists. However it is interesting to not that Indian SOFs operating in CT ops still use their Tavors which use the 5.56mm so this line of reasoning isn't definitive.

Mate do Indian forces have any other choice than to uses and get along with the INSAS?? The INSAS isn't a bad weapon it simply isn't a great weapon or even a particualry good one. It is just about adequate. But if you gave Indian forces a choice of all weapons in the world to go into conflict with do you honestly belive they'd pick the INSAS??

It would be gradual change if this weapon was preferred.

But I've been hearing about this for almost 6 years now! When will a decision be made? Surely the Indian selection has got to be weighting on the PA's descion making bodies? If the HK is the preffered weapon they've gotta buy quick otherwise no company in their right mind is going to turn down a 3 million+rifle order from India for ~500,000 from Pakistan and then India can call the shots and shut down any possible deal for Pakistan.

The Tavor is not that different in length to the INSAS so the size issue is NOT why all SOFs in India have shown the INSAS the door. But I'll concede, to an extent, the INSAS is not widely used in JK because of the 5.56mm-the IA prefers the 7.62 to put down terrorists. However it is interesting to not that Indian SOFs operating in CT ops still use their Tavors which use the 5.56mm so this line of reasoning isn't definitive.

Mate do Indian forces have any other choice than to uses and get along with the INSAS?? The INSAS isn't a bad weapon it simply isn't a great weapon or even a particualry good one. It is just about adequate. But if you gave Indian forces a choice of all weapons in the world to go into conflict with do you honestly belive they'd pick the INSAS??

But I've been hearing about this for almost 6 years now! When will a decision be made? Surely the Indian selection has got to be weighting on the PA's descion making bodies? If the HK is the preffered weapon they've gotta buy quick otherwise no company in their right mind is going to turn down a 3 million+rifle order from India for ~500,000 from Pakistan and then India can call the shots and shut down any possible deal for Pakistan.

I'm not sure what the PA's requirements are for a new battle rifle.
This rifle is my personal preference, and seeing as how the g3 has served us for so many years, it would make sense to stick with H&K.

Back
Top Bottom