What's new

INS Vikramaditya all set for crucial, pre-induction trials

The current lone ACC has outlived its life. Infact INS VIRAAT is a floating museum already. While INS vikramaditya is going sea trials and INS Vikrant is already out of drydock. INS Vishal will be ready by 2018-19. By the time the ships are finished, work has already started to build more ships of project 17 multi role frigates and Arihant class submarines, to be inducted in as support ships in the carrier battle groups. India is rapidly replacing its old ships with newer stealthier ships with advanced technologies and weapons. There are news that a new hypersonic Brahmos with a longer range and heavier payload is being tested and soon will be placed on the new and more advanced Project 17A frigates.
In total Indian navy is getting more muscle, more teeth and more claws.

well i would not buy your comment on Viraat, though more than 50 years old it is still the lead ship of IN & it's flag bearer, it can still carry sea harriers (though limited in nos.) + some sea kings ASW, it is still earning goodwill to India as seen in it's recent visit to Oman, but hopefully it will be replaced by much more capable INS Vikrant in 2015.

That cloud of smoke indicates the start-up of engines. All ship engines give that charecteristic smoke cloud at startup. If you ever visit a harbour where ships are docked, you are sure to see this happening with all large bore diesel engines. Its not about russian engines it is common with all engines. Once the engine start they emit less smoke. Further an aircraft carrier does not require to hide anyway it has the cover of an entire battle group. In an event of an emergency the cover is supplemented by its own air wing and AEWACS. So the bottomline is its smoking hot, like it or hate it.

Even I have no doubts about its extended use, but in my honest opinion, an aircraft carrier is not just a platform to fly fighter planes. The engines, the radars, early warning systems, missile detection and countermeasures, and all other systems are equally important virtues. Take it or leave it INS Viraat is a old cow by todays standards. My comment was on the current status of Indian navy Aircraft carriers. Its use may be great is making fareign visits but seaworthyness is a merciless term. India purchased Viraat in 1986, has already used it for 26 years. Its time to let her rest as newer ships are being inducted.

zn4tb.jpg

upey0gx5cq.jpg

52115134.jpg

0_b09c6_9823d412_L.jpg

0_b09c4_afedf704_L.jpg

Entered service expected in 2012
Crew 1 600 men
Sea endurance 24 500 km at 18 knots
Dimensions and displacement
Length 273 m
Beam 31 m
Draught 8.2 m