What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

F-35 is inevitable, but I'm hoping we acquire them at the right time, now is not the right time. Like I said before, it's not a good idea to do that big of a leap, we have to at least operate a 4.5-gen fighter first. All the F-35 operators are doing the same thing, they either joined the JSF program and had time to contribute in development and setup their infrastructure or they have already operated the latest F-16's and F/A-18's. F-16V is a preliminary step to operating true 5th gens like the F-35.
Now why can't we apply the same line of thinking when it comes to our national projects?

Yup what I mean is senapan (or it can be in different names in English base on its development). I should have said firearm.
Well, the original senapan or senapang refers to flintlock musket, not rifled gun. Indonesian language doesn't has an equivalent for rifle, they just called it as the same as flintlock musket. Malaysian language has distinct word for rifle (the gun, not the helical grooving), that is raifal.

I am still in believe fourth generation fighter (high end type like Rafale, Typhoon, F-15 E, F-18 E/F and F16 V) still became the backbone of any air force until 2040 or 2050 as even USA still ordering them in large number and projected to be used until half of century. Prefer to build the airforce in number based on such mature platform first then when all of the facility, tools, human resources, industrial capability to support the already we had and everything else is ready we can move to create elite units in which operating high end fifth Gen platform.

The current trend is having a heavy payload twin-engine 4.5 gen fighter supporting a 5th gen VLO fighter with way better sensors and avionics. You'd have the 5th gen with their VLO capability scouting for targets and operating within contested environments while the 4.5 gen heavy jets can support the 5th gens by firing long range missiles at either air or surface targets. Basically the 5th gens as a Mini-AEW scout plane and the heavy 4.5 gen jets as the shooter. In South East Asia, the only country I can see applying this soon is Singapore with their F-35B's and F-15SG's. I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to be left behind in this trend either, I think we can do an F-35 + KFX/F-15/Typhoon combo ;)

Now why can't we apply the same line of thinking when it comes to our national projects?

wait !! don't buy buy from foreigner don't repeat the mistake of our ancestor, we must support KFC whole heartedly and follow their instruction by hook and crook, afterall those OPPA is not foreigner they are our indigenous people. Repeat this two times a day!!

wait !! don't buy buy from foreigner don't repeat the mistake of our ancestor, we must support KFC whole heartedly and follow their instruction by hook and crook, afterall those OPPA is not foreigner they are our indigenous people. Repeat this two times a day!!
wait !! don't buy buy from foreigner don't repeat the mistake of our ancestor, we must support KFC whole heartedly and follow their instruction by hook and crook, afterall those OPPA is not foreigner they are our indigenous people.

wait !! don't buy buy from foreigner don't repeat the mistake of our ancestor, we must support KFC whole heartedly and follow their instruction by hook and crook, afterall those OPPA is not foreigner they are our indigenous people.

Done desu~

( ̄□ ̄」)

Done desu~

KNOWYOURMEME-sad-cat-crying-1120.jpg

Indonesian Navy Lost 7 Warships for 8 Years

26 Juli 2020

KRI Teluk Jakarta 541 LST (photo : BertuahPos)

A shocking news for the military, when the Indonesian Navy revealed details of the recent lander sinking and they also statistics that in the past 8 years, the Navy has lost at least 7 warships.

KRI Teluk Berau 534 LST (photo : Ivan Meshkov)

Recently, the Indonesian Navy has revealed some details about the sinking of the amphibious ship, "KRI Teluk Jakarta 541", with the serial number 541 of the Indonesian Navy on July 14.

On July 12, ship 541 left Surabaya port to deliver supplies to a naval base in eastern Indonesia; By July 14, when the ship approached the northeastern part of the Kangean Islands, it had unfavorable weather conditions (wave height from 2.5 to 4 m) which caused water to flood the ship, but the crew could not overcome.

KRI Teluk Peleng 535 LST (photo : Medcom)

Soon, the engine room was flooded and the speed decreased, eventually unable to withstand, the 541 ship sank to the bottom of the 90 m deep at 9 pm that day.

All 55 sailors aboard the lander 541 were rescued, 54 of them were rescued by the container ship "Tanto Sejahtera", the other one was rescued by the civil transport ship "Dobonsolo"; 55 sailors were later transferred to the frigate "KRI Raden Eddy Martadinata 332" that the Indonesian Navy sent to rescue.

KRI Sibarau 847 Patrol Ship (photo : Beritatrans)

The landing ship 541 was built by the VEB Peenewerft shipyard Wolgast, of the Democratic Republic of Germany in 1979 and is one of the 12 amphibious ships of Project 108 (NATO code name "Frosch I"). After the unification of Germany in 1993, these 12 ships and 2 other supply ships were acquired by Indonesia.

In November 2013, a ship of the same type as ship 541 had sunk, "KRI Teluk Peleng 535" crashed into a concrete pier; In addition, another ship of the same class, "KRI Teluk Berau-534", has been out of service since 2012, and later became the target of anti-ship missiles in a live-fire and sunk exercise.

KRI Rencong 622 FAC-M (photo : Antara)

In recent years, the Indonesian naval accident rate has remained high, on September 11, 2018, the "KRI Rencong 622" fast attack missile ship, caught fire and sank to the sea floor near Sorong, West Papua province.

The KRI Rencong-622 is a Mandau-class fast-attack missile ship, built in South Korea in 1979. Indonesia has four of these, numbered from 621 to 624 and equipped by the Indonesian Navy with Chinese-built C705 missile on this class.

KRI Pati Unus 384 ASW corvette (photo : Indian Navy)

On May 30, 2016, the corvette "KRI Pati Unus 384" collided with a shipwreck, resulting in partial damage to the hull and floodwater; KRI Pati Unus eventually sank half and considered this ship was also disinherited due to irreparable.

In December 2017, an Indonesian naval patrol boat KRI Sibarau 847 sank in a storm due to engine failure in the Malacca Strait. All the defenders on board were rescued.

KRI Klewang 625 FAC-M (photo : Antara)

On September 28, 2012, the stealthy destroyer "KRI Klewang 625" of the Indonesian Navy suddenly caught fire at Banyuwangi naval base in East Java. In addition, in recent years, some Indonesian navy ships have sunk due to the fire.

As a maritime country, Indonesia attaches great importance to developing its navy; However, with only 8 years, the navy lost at least 7 warships, greatly affecting its ambition to modernize its navy.

(KienThuc)

I wouldn't really be as confident about this if I were you, stealth coating isn't easy

And because stealth coating isn't easy then we shouldn't buy the F-35 as what the person whom I quoted insisted?

PT Lundin trimaran OPV
1.PNG

2.PNG

Description

Due to their form stability and lighter displacement, catamarans and trimarans are able to patrol and operate both offshore and in relatively shallow waters. Making them also suitable for roles including anti-smuggling, anti-piracy, law enforcement, SAR and disaster relief. Importantly, when constructed from composite materials, these vessels also offer the advantages of reduced maintenance, operating, and lifecycle COSTs.

This 63 m OPV variant is based on the same wave piercing, efficient, and stable, Trimaran design, which has the distinct advantage of being able to maintain higher average speeds in rough seas. This is crucial when engaged in pursuit and intercepts, and in emergency SAR duty. The main difference is the configuration of the super-structure that enables it to be a true multi-role platform.

The raised command bridge provides excellent visibility, and without missiles the increased volume in the super-structure allows space for dedicated compartments for Ops Centre, training or meetings, a clinic, interview rooms, holding cells, and even seating for disaster victims or humanitarian relief staff. The spacious aftdeck can be used for helo transfers, operating a UAV, RAS, and fire fighting. And the stern incorporates a boat ramp that houses a 12m RIB, plus two boarding platforms close to the waterline for small craft, rescues, and diving ops.

X3200 Long range patrol boat
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.PNG

Description
x12_range.jpg

The new 32 meter North Sea Boats X3200 design can be adapted to suit various roles where speed, sea-keeping and extended range are essential.

State of the art hull design and modern active stabilization combine to offer extremely low fuel consumption and reduced environmental impact.

For boarding and inspection operations an 8.5m 40 knot RIB can be launched from an aft deck slipway carrying up to 8 crew.

The X3200 is built for extreme conditions and ocean crossing and is therefore self-righting and equipped with the latest safety and navigation equipment.

Indonesia navy teather of operation high profile cases right now mostly happened in open high seas, this kind of dedicated shallow water opv with lighter displacement is sacrilege, even the word Offshore of OPV is mean they are mostly operated behind the lines of Coastal area.

PT Lundin trimaran OPV
View attachment 655447
View attachment 655448

Description

Due to their form stability and lighter displacement, catamarans and trimarans are able to patrol and operate both offshore and in relatively shallow waters. Making them also suitable for roles including anti-smuggling, anti-piracy, law enforcement, SAR and disaster relief. Importantly, when constructed from composite materials, these vessels also offer the advantages of reduced maintenance, operating, and lifecycle COSTs.

This 63 m OPV variant is based on the same wave piercing, efficient, and stable, Trimaran design, which has the distinct advantage of being able to maintain higher average speeds in rough seas. This is crucial when engaged in pursuit and intercepts, and in emergency SAR duty. The main difference is the configuration of the super-structure that enables it to be a true multi-role platform.

The raised command bridge provides excellent visibility, and without missiles the increased volume in the super-structure allows space for dedicated compartments for Ops Centre, training or meetings, a clinic, interview rooms, holding cells, and even seating for disaster victims or humanitarian relief staff. The spacious aftdeck can be used for helo transfers, operating a UAV, RAS, and fire fighting. And the stern incorporates a boat ramp that houses a 12m RIB, plus two boarding platforms close to the waterline for small craft, rescues, and diving ops.

X3200 Long range patrol boat
1.jpg

2.jpg

View attachment 655450
Description
x12_range.jpg

The new 32 meter North Sea Boats X3200 design can be adapted to suit various roles where speed, sea-keeping and extended range are essential.

State of the art hull design and modern active stabilization combine to offer extremely low fuel consumption and reduced environmental impact.

For boarding and inspection operations an 8.5m 40 knot RIB can be launched from an aft deck slipway carrying up to 8 crew.

The X3200 is built for extreme conditions and ocean crossing and is therefore self-righting and equipped with the latest safety and navigation equipment.
Judging from the weight class and armament, i thin Trimarans are better suited for patrol and littoral duties

And because stealth coating isn't easy then we shouldn't buy the F-35 as what the person whom I quoted insisted?

Yea it's not, but should that limits us to not buying F-35's? Not really, since we're not going to be the ones making or developing them for the F-35 at least, we simply just maintain them. Like I said before F-35 is inevitable, it is the natural upgrade path for most F-16 operators and getting/having the latest F-16's is the preliminary step, its only a question of when. I was assuming you posted that article think you're suggesting us to create our own stealth coating, since that article has very little connection to us not supposed to get F-35 especially when that article is about stealth coating for ships, my mistake I guess I really didn't understand why you posted that ship stealth coating article I guess

Did i only mention stealth coating? There's network infrastructure and others thing we need to develop first. Now is not the right time to buy F-35

Why not continue F-16V idea first then F-35 in the future? or the Rafale "rumor" is indeed true?

That's literally what me and I think a lot of people here suggest, basically the F-35 isn't a wet dream like most people would assume, sooner or later you're going to want/need to upgrade to keep up with the times, as an F-16 operator the F-35 is the most logical choice. But you would need to get a 4.5 gen fighter like the F-16V first before operating the F-35 since the technological leap is too far, with the F-16V you at least learn how to operate and maintain AESA radars, dedicated self-protection EW suites, next-gen armaments, datalinking etc before moving onto the F-35 that has the same stuff but with low-observable stealth, stealth coating, sensor fusion, etc.

Back
Top Bottom