What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

After almost 10 years... the replacement is finally coming...! KRI Golok 688

1629261107410.png

1629261125477.png

Last edited:
Hopefully they go with Aluminum or better yet, steel this time.

No way they can do that.. Lundin doesn't seem to have any steel cutting equipment in their facilities.. They'll stick with the material they are experienced with which is CFRP... Hopefully they have vastly improved the material this time..

That being said, it seems that this new trimaran is still using the old Klewang design...
1629275430294.png

I thought (and hoped) they would have used the new design
1629275388827.png

No way they can do that.. Lundin doesn't seem to have any steel cutting equipment in their facilities.. They'll stick with the material they are experienced with which is CFRP... Hopefully they have vastly improved the material this time..

That being said, it seems that this new trimaran is still using the old Klewang design...
View attachment 770866

I thought (and hoped) they would have used the new design
View attachment 770865

Well if that is the case, as much as I like the design, I still dont see any use of this. Improving engine capacity and the armaments+electronics of KCR60 is a better and wiser spending alternative if it was up to me.

Well if that is the case, as much as I like the design, I still dont see any use of this. Improving engine capacity and the armaments+electronics of KCR60 is a better and wiser spending alternative if it was up to me.

Well CFRP itself has some advantages compared to the more traditional materials like steel or aluminum.. for example : It's lighter, has a high strength-to-weight ratio, doesn't corrode in seawater, and absorbs radar waves (instead of reflecting it as with steel) thus making it stealthier... of course it also has its disadvantages, which we have unfortunately seen with KRI Klewang... So now it's just a matter of how we can properly use its advantages while minimizing the potential risks... This is the first time we have a stealthy FAC, TNI-AL definitely will need to develop some new doctrine & tactics to go with this ship...

Additionally, we already have plenty of SOE & private shipyards capable of designing and building conventional warships, only Lundin is currently building unique and "radical" designs (with unconventional materials too) like the Trimaran, Tank-Boat, etc.. so I think it's good for TNI to give them a chance too..

Comparable class of ship in PLAN service is the Type-22 FAC, although it's a Catamaran design...

1629282994910.png

Who knows perhaps they just might meet each other someday... in a friendly encounter of course... 😁

IDEF 2021: FNSS hails Kaplan MT progress
18th August 2021 - 13:30 GMT | by The Shephard News Team

harimau-mt-idef.jpg

FNSS displays production version of Kaplan Medium Tank for Indonesia, where it is known as Harimau.

FNSS exhibited a serial production version of its Kaplan Medium Tank (MT) at the IDEF defence exhibition in Istanbul on 17-20 August, claiming that the ‘design perfection process… is completed’ for the Indonesian Army as the launch customer.
The Kaplan MT as showcased at IDEF features a number of differences from the original prototype, including a redesigned front end and a relocated driver position.
Under the terms of a contract with FNSS, Indonesian manufacturer PT Pindad is producing most of the tanks (known as Harimau in Indonesian service) under licence.

Indonesia expects to receive a first batch of 18 Kaplan MTs by the end of 2021. A total of 52 more will be procured in 2022, followed by 19 in 2023 and 17 in 2024.
Kaplan MT is the first Turkish-designed medium tank to be export, and the first deliverable from defence industry cooperation agreements between Indonesia and Turkey.

# 106 army requirement

harimau-mt-green.jpg

Last edited:
>>>2017 HARIMAU MEDIUM TANK
View attachment 770215
>>>2021 NEW LOOK
View attachment 770244View attachment 770245
View attachment 770250
View attachment 770249
View attachment 770251View attachment 770252
View attachment 770253
>>>HARIMAU MT on WHEEL DRIVE
View attachment 770254

>>>abit heavy in previous prototype design
View attachment 770216

>>> it looks like they have fixed rear end wheel
View attachment 770256

The Kaplan does really look good and I also like the coloring Indonesia chose to go with. A forest suitable color. How many more units will there be procured

The Kaplan does really look good and I also like the coloring Indonesia chose to go with. A forest suitable color. How many more units will there be procured

As the report said, it will be around 100. Beyond 100 we dont know since it will likely be conducted by new administration. Whether new administration that will come up in November 2024 is ambitious or not remains to be seen.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom