What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

when talking about infrastructure to support fighter jets, I'm always wondering of what it was since it mentioned so much that it would be problem if we switch to different kind of plane.
since they could use the same type of fuel, runways, apron and hangar/shelter, the only things that come to my mind are simulators and scaffolding.
so what did I miss?
does pilot and crew training included in this 'infrastructure'?
or ammo? tbh, if we switch to western made jets ammo would be simplified and we don't stock many Russian missile anyway

when talking about infrastructure to support fighter jets, I'm always wondering of what it was since it mentioned so much that it would be problem if we switch to different kind of plane.
since they could use the same type of fuel, runways, apron and hangar/shelter, the only things that come to my mind are simulators and scaffolding.
so what did I miss?
or ammo? tbh, if we switch to western made jets ammo would be simplified and we don't stock many Russian missile anyway

Mostly stuff like equipment that is specific to that aircraft, simulators, engines and armaments as well as training.

Rafale is a western jet but they can only use French armaments like Magic, MICA, Meteor, MBDA Apache, etc which we currently don't have and would have to buy. Rafale can't use AIM-9's or AIM-120's that we already have in stock. As mediocre and overrated as the Su-35 is, at least it could use existing infrastructure of the current Flankers.

If you really want to introduce a twin-engine jet with minimal effort to establish its supporting infrastructure, it would be the F-15. Like I have said before countless times, it can share the same armaments and even engines and specific support equipment with the F-16. The F-15's acquisition costs is very pricey but its worth it considering the savings you get from its lifecycle cost and commonality with the rest of the fleet.

For the F-5 replacement or the Hawks? I'd agree with you on the Hawks but the F-5 is a whole different story.

Also, someone please tell me I'm being an idiot for bothering to post on local formils and expecting anything but stupid replies.
depend on where you posted it , if you try to explain to the die hard trapo trapo formils cult , start to rethink to even explain to them .

so what did I miss?
Imagine you have to retrain them to handle manage different engine type, purchase new tools to calibrate and maintain new type of missiles (different missile, different handling), retrain pilots because of different avionics and flight control, etc, etc, etc...

so what did I miss?

Simple equipment for repair and maintenance like screwdriver, trolley to carry munitions or engine, to more complex machinery, and electronics.

The most important thing is the crews, they need to be able to service and repair the aircraft. Jet fighter with less commonality with each other will make you end up with more crews required to service your whole fleets, even a single jet will need several personnel with different capabilities.

Even servicing a petite jet like gripen is not an easy task.

War machine today is very complex and need more logistic footprint compared to decades before, even updating the software for battle management system is quite a jobs. Long gone the era of stand alone machine to do wonder jobs.

The grand plan is to have dedicated management battlefield system centered around link 16 and have Linked to the already established units we had. It seems Indonesia already abandoned the idea of developing National datalink system and chose to integrate their system with the possible "allies" system in the region on account the possibility to procured more high end system like Poseidon, THAAD, PATRIOT, F35 and so on.

korea-kfx-first-prototype-20200705-jpg.648370

For the F-5 replacement or the Hawks? I'd agree with you on the Hawks but the F-5 is a whole different story.

Also, someone please tell me I'm being an idiot for bothering to post on local formils and expecting anything but stupid replies.
I think its eventually replacing hawks which should be retired in 2024-2027.

local formils? lol good luck with that. The local formils golden era where discussions was relatively healthy, entertaining and educating is long gone.

Wow nice, Korean people really show their punctuality and determination despite current covid and economic condition. This good looking fighter has become Indonesia "buah simalakama" :lol::lol::lol:

reading the replies added with other info, make me even more convinced that we should switch to western made jets.

but no, no rafale!
she's beautiful plane indeed, but would post another commonality problem.

why we never set our eyes on hornets, especially the latest superhornet block 3, rather than going for Rafale or F15.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom