What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

Sorry to break the chit chat but does this mean MRTT is the winner then?

https://www.defensenews.com/air/202...-full-rate-production-decision-for-the-kc-46/
Unsure, ideally it would be better for us to get the MRTT when it comes to capabilities. But I'd imagine Boeing's offer would be cheaper as a result of delays, the MAX groundings, and the COVID-19 crisis putting a dent in their orders.

Dude, that's actually a decent figure. Better than the number of M1 aus able to keep online back in the day,
I mean the Leopard 2 is a lot easier to maintain than the Abrams. A lot of TNI officers sent to the US to study the Abrams pretty much steered the decision to go with the Leopards.

Army got three Kostrad division, they need another MBT batalion
I see, that's what I'm getting at as well. So does that mean more Ceasar and Astros too then to equip the third Kostrad's division?
Not if Raytheon offers a more lucrative contract, they're getting quite the clout here. Not to mention ODT would probably recommend the Mk 41 since it'll be easier to integrate as the original Iver's are fitted with them.
Indeed, I can see that happening, Raytheon would certainly like to get a foothold in the region owing to the shift in U.S foreign policy to the region and all that jazz

Indonesia Signs Preamble Contract for First Iver Huitfeldt-Variant Frigate

12 Juni 2020

Iver class frigate (photo : Knud Olsen)

The Indonesian Ministry of Defence (MOD) has signed a preamble contract that paves the way for the country to procure its first-ever frigate from Denmark.

The contract was signed on 30 April in the presence of representatives from the MOD, state-owned shipbuilder PT PAL, and PT Sinar Kokoh Persada, the Indonesian agent for Danish company Odense Maritime Technology (OMT).

Among articles covered in the preamble contract include workshare arrangements that will be taken once an actual contract for the first vessel materialises, a defence industry source close to the matter has confirmed with Janes while providing documentary evidence of the occasion.

As first reported by Janes in March 2019, Indonesia has grown increasingly keen on a variant of the Iver Huitfeldt -class frigate, three of which are in service with the Royal Danish Navy, for the country’s own two-ship surface combatant requirement.

A piece of unclassified correspondence between the country’s then-defence minister, Ryamizard Ryacudu, and the cabinet secretary of President Joko Widodo provided to Janes that month made the case for the Iver Huitfeldt class as one that features “reliable combat capabilities, and can operate in the extremities of Indonesia’s exclusive economic zone”.

The Iver Huitfeldt class displaces 6,600 tonnes at full load, and is powered by four MTU 20V 8000 M70 diesel engines in a combined diesel and diesel (CODAD) configuration, giving it a top speed of about 28 kt.

(Jane's)
@Chestnut @Viet @Nilgiri

So it's official
ok so about this iver thing, I've read some articles suggesting that the navy wants a fleet of 8 frigates , what I know is that it's going to be a mix of Iver's+Sigma. Just wondering what's the compositions gonna be? 4+4, 6+2, considering that Collin Koh suggest that there's some dissatisfaction among the Navy brass, is it safe to assume we're going to have 6+2 (6 ivers+2 sigma).??

Even the RMAF Su-30MKM doesn't even integrate and network well with their F-18D's. Why do you think the Hornets did the job in the 2013 standoff? Add to the fact the most numerous weapons we have in our inventory are US made and the fact that our Flankers are literal money pits because of maintenance costs means that the government is correct when it comes to backing out of the Flanker deal.

Russophiles in Indonesia needs to realize we aren't Vietnam. Our entire defense infrastructure is geared towards US and EU equipment with an obvious US technological slant. There are more cons for us with operating Russian equipment than there are benefits. Not only are they more expensive to maintain, they aren't nearly as capable as their US/EU counterparts.

Before doing your usual Russophiles tirade, know that I'm not a Russia strong fanboy, just a neutral observer with common sense in mind. I can understand this Russian equipment averseness IF we haven't bought any Russian arms in the first place, but since we ALREADY bought the Flankers, operated them for decades, built infrastructures to support them, acquired technical knowledge, gained pilot skills and flying hours, trained the ground support crews and procured maintenance equipments then just decide to swap them with another type of (western plane) just because Murrica strong fanboys and sales people with vested interest such as yourself had a hard on to buy their favorite toys like the F-18 or the F-15 just doesn't cut the mustard.

Yes we made a mistake when procuring the Flankers (courtesy of the "they will never embargo us" US of A for, you guessed it, their embargo on us), but it will be an even dumber mistake to just swap them midway with planes which are in every sense just similiar if not inferior to the Flankers.

And yes, I am addressing your incessant attempts to frame or paint a biassed notion of how inferior Russian jets are compared to Americans ones, which coming from the mouth of a western defense company rep like you meant as much as a rant from an Apple fanboy about how inferior Android devices are compared to the latest iPhone. Especially when said person never elaborated just how superior their toys are using any verifiable technical parameters or any objective studies. And no, saying things like "they aren't nearly as capable as their US/EU counterparts" won't cut the mustard either, it didn't made you sound partial and biassed at all.

You don't happen to know "Brotowali", do you? Since I swear you two sounded very similiar to each other.

the Chinese not quite satisfied by the su35, you can google them, not forget the Indian choose Rafale even they were regular costumer for the russian

the Chinese not quite satisfied by the su35, you can google them, not forget the Indian choose Rafale even they were regular costumer for the russian

SU-35 is technically a good 4th gen fighet jet..if it did not need so much maintenance and the life cycle of engine wasn't so dismal.

Ideally, it'll be the 41s, but instead, Thales will probably come along and shoved SLYVER down our throats. Not that it's bad.
Ideally but then i should remind you Thales & MBDA already made itself " deep root " within our Gov. Not to mention Europeans are " flexible " especially on terms of aftersales which satisfy everyone

ok so about this iver thing, I've read some articles suggesting that the navy wants a fleet of 8 frigates , what I know is that it's going to be a mix of Iver's+Sigma. Just wondering what's the compositions gonna be? 4+4, 6+2, considering that Collin Koh suggest that there's some dissatisfaction among the Navy brass, is it safe to assume we're going to have 6+2 (6 ivers+2 sigma).??
No it's 4 + 4. PKR is already political issue we can't suddenly dismiss

Army got three Kostrad division, they need another MBT batalion
Have you btw heard or read any rumour about Leopards ? I thought a while ago maybe 3 or 4 years ago i heard about other probable procurement from certain European Armed Forces reserve

Ideally but then i should remind you Thales & MBDA already made itself " deep root " within our Gov. Not to mention Europeans are " flexible " especially on terms of aftersales which satisfy everyone

Have you btw heard or read any rumour about Leopards ? I thought a while ago maybe 3 or 4 years ago i heard about other probable procurement from certain European Armed Forces reserve
yeah give iver atleast SYLVER A50 (or A70) if we can .

norway are seeking to ditch their leopard 2 for K2 black panther

It's settled then, Su-35 with western avionics that the Russians is currently offering will do the job just fine. No more integration and network centric difficulties excuses.
Their BVR capabilities still questionable
Remember Kashmir dogfight?

Their BVR capabilities still questionable
Remember Kashmir dogfight?

There is no prove that SU 30 is down by Pakistan, it is only a claim. Just 1 Mig was taken down.

Before doing your usual Russophiles tirade, know that I'm not a Russia strong fanboy, just a neutral observer with common sense in mind.

Oh boy, here we go. "I'm not a Russophile, BUT...."

I can understand this Russian equipment averseness IF we haven't bought any Russian arms in the first place, but since we ALREADY bought the Flankers, operated them for decades, built infrastructures to support them, acquired technical knowledge, gained pilot skills and flying hours, trained the ground support crews and procured maintenance equipments...

And considering how many times the Flankers are used on sorties vs. the F-16's, I'd say the Flanker fails in that regard. But don't take my word for it, ask around any of the personnel in the Airbases. Like it or not, the entire AU infrastructure is made to support western aircraft. All the MRO's in country are made to support our western aircraft and they have been for some time. And any attempt to send our Flankers to MRO facilities in Vietnam or setup MRO facilities here are strongly rebuked by the Russians. Compared to Lockheed Martin/General Dynamics (whom allowed and supported PTDI to conduct spare part manufacturing and MRO facilities here as far back as the 80's) I'd say it's a clear cut which one is the better deal here. Exactly how does the Russian deal seem better to you? Explain.

just because Murrica strong fanboys and sales people with vested interest such as yourself had a hard on to buy their favorite toys like the F-18 or the F-15 just doesn't cut the mustard.

And why doesn't it cut? If it's good enough for higher tier air forces such as the Israeli Air Force, Royal Australian Air Force, and the Republic of Singapore Air Force; why is it not good enough for us? Please explain your reasoning.

Yes we made a mistake when procuring the Flankers (courtesy of the "they will never embargo us" US of A for, you guessed it, their embargo on us),

And did the Russians not embargo us in the 60's/70's? Whatever happened to the Tu-16's we once operated? All equipment has a chance of an embargo. Britain did so with the Hawks in the 90's as well. The difference is what the United States has shown that compared to Russia or Europe, is that they have a strategic geopolitical interest in keeping us within their circle preventing them from issuing an actual full scale embargo. Case in point is the fact during the embargo, our US supplied airplanes still flew whereas the Soviet embargo in the 60's led to literally every Soviet built plane to fall into disuse. With that in mind, explain exactly how the Indonesian Air Force procuring the SHornet or the Strike Eagle would be a mistake.

but it will be an even dumber mistake to just swap them midway with planes which are in every sense just similiar if not inferior to the Flankers.

Exactly how is the F/A-18 or the F-15 inferior? They have better service records, cheaper operational costs, less problematic maintenance, a much more abundant global supply chain, a much more active assembly line thus being cheaper to produce, and also much more advanced avionics, countermeasures, and weapons packages. Please explain how they are supposedly inferior in your view?

And yes, I am addressing your incessant attempts to frame or paint a biassed notion of how inferior Russian jets are compared to Americans ones, which coming from the mouth of a western defense company rep like you meant as much as a rant from an Apple fanboy about how inferior Android devices are compared to the latest iPhone.

Sounds like a you problem to be honest.

Especially when said person never elaborated just how superior their toys are using any verifiable technical parameters or any objective studies. And no, saying things like "they aren't nearly as capable as their US/EU counterparts" won't cut the mustard either, it didn't made you sound partial and biassed at all.

Then maybe you should go back and read through the thread. I'm not the only one here that supports US/EU made aircraft. @Kansel, @striver44, @Nike, @Gen3115 , along with a plethora of other posters have shown studies and articles proving as much.

But I'll throw you a bone. The F-15C (which was first introduced in 1976) is currently fitted or being refitted with the AN/APG-63(v2) and AN/APG-63(v3) AESA radars. The F-15E Strike Eagle (first introduced in 1989) is currently equipped with either the AN/APG-63(v3) or the AN/APG-82(v1) AESA radars. Meanwhile, the Su-35 (first introduced in 2014) uses an Irbis-E PESA radar. Exactly how does a fighter that is equipped with a PESA radar in any way shape or form superior or at least in line with one that is equipped with an AESA radar? It's the 21st century and BVR combat is the name of the game. And an aircraft with a PESA simply can't perform as well in BVR against something with an AESA. Furthermore, the engines of an F-16 and F-15C/E are interchangeable with each other (https://books.google.co.id/books?id... f-16 and f15 engines interchangeable&f=false), the engines of the Su-27/30 and the Su-35 are not. Wouldn't this simply cause more logistical issues and maintenance costs? Explain exactly how this would benefit the Indonesian Air Force.

You know, for someone who supposedly isn't a Slavaboo, you're really trying hard to defend something that is wholly inferior.

There is no prove that SU 30 is down by Pakistan, it is only a claim. Just 1 Mig was taken down.
Let's OOT just for a little bit.
Well yeah, I don't believe it either because no concrete evidence (I don't believe India shot down a Viper either, because of the same reason).
BUT It was true that AIM 120c5 was fired and Mig21 being shot downed.
This just my opinion, but I though what happen here was India's flanker have to went "cold" and abandoning their mission protecting Mig and mirages because of 120 salvo from Viper and their BVRAAM R77 have no change to reach Pakistani F16.

Personally I wouldn't say Russian equipment is inferior, but I do think that US/EU jets suit our needs and existing infrastructure better. I actually think most Russian jets have better flight characteristics than their US/EU counterparts but US/EU jets so far have better avionics and sensors as well as more relevant capabilities.

I wouldn't say the Su-35 is inferior to the F-15 simply because it has a PESA radar compared to the F-15's AESA radar since the Irbis-E despite being a PESA radar is actually quite decent from what I know, but I would say this, the F-15 especially when its an F-100 powered F-15 would fit so much better within the TNI-AU compared to the Su-27/30's we have now. The F-16 and F-15 has been designed to complement each other, they have the highest commonality between the both of them especially if we choose F-100 powered F-15's where our F-16 and F-15's could have interchangeable engines (ROKAF's batch 2 F-15K's had F-100 instead of the F-110 specifically for this reason), not too mention they also share almost the same armaments set meaning they could share the same stock of munitions and on top of that with they can datalink with each other through Link 16 which is important if we want a network centric force for the future and a network centric force is very relevant for an archipelago country the size of Indonesia.

Right now even our Su-27 and Su-30 don't even have high commonality with each other, despite using the same AL-31F type engines, the Su-27 and Su-30 uses engines from different manufacturers, the Su-27SK/SKM has AL-31F from Salyut while the Su-30MK/MK2's has AL-31F's from UMPO. These are different manufacturers which means their engines arent even interchangeable between the Su-27 and Su-30 due to the different sub-components for each engines built by the different manufacturers. Think about it, the Su-27 and Su-30 are in the same squadron, but they can't even share the same engines, I think most of us here know how difficult it is to operate them and their readiness rate, so I don't think I need to go there. I won't fully blame the Russians on this though, its been there philosophy to provide maintenance and overhauling of jets behind the front lines, unlike that of their Western counterparts. http://sukhoi.mariwoj.pl/su-30-id.h...gfpTLjqbHkAyQ5SddjnqSv7Atfpi9NtSpE46ZRJy_hZQA

No Su-30's were shot down, but the R-77's they had failed to reach the F-16's who were successful in taking down a MiG-21, even the US confirmed there were no F-16's shot down and from what I know the US keeps a watch on PAF's F-16's https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-16s-shot-down-in-indian-battle-idUSKCN1RH0IM

this talk about Russian vs US/EU military equpiment is quite interesting. but sometimes i wonder, why the embargo topics only came out when we are about to buy new jet fighters ? no one talks about embargo when our striking force navy ships is mostly equipped with exocet, what happens if US told France to not sell exocet to us ? (the same case with egypt Rafale), or no one talk about embargoes when our military transport aircraft only consist Herky, and CN (but CN engines are US made). now, we're gonna build 2 new frigate which I belive will use US/EU weaponry, and no one talks about embargoes ?

that brings out question, does embargoes topics still relevant when we talk about buying new toys ?

Back
Top Bottom