What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

glad to see you back chestnut,

from what you say, it seems our negatif traits is planning, is there any plan to make kaplan variant with autocanon like you said?

kaplan has lost competition for bangladeshi mt project, does it will be affected to production for local user and the philippine?

Also before anyone asks, I don't hate the Kaplan MT or think it's useless, I just don't think it's a cost effective or well thought out program.

For the most part, if we're expected to engage tanks that lands on our shores then it's already hopelessly outclassed by the fact it only has a 105mm gun. Were it to have a 120mm L/44 then I could understand the idea, but obviously that's not the case here. Furthermore if the idea of it being an infantry support vehicle in a mostly jungle environment, then it's stupid to give it a 105mm instead of an autocannon. Yes, tank cannons work well in urban terrain like Fallujah and Grozny, but if you were to engage Infantry teams or light vehicles in a mixture of open and triple canopy brush then it'd make more sense to have a rapid firing autocannon then one HEAT/HESH shell every couple of seconds. Finally, it's pretty hard to justify the $7 mil price tag for what's essentially a very niche vehicle. If it were a modular chassis that (without modification of the chassis) be able to carry troops and mount an assortment of turrets (similar to the Ajax SV or the BMP-3) then I can see it costing around that ballpark, but again that's not the reality here.

All in all it's mostly a politically driven project. I'd rather the government had a true competion between global prime contractors and just let Pindad have a modest integration work contract . It's a waste of taxpayer money that is better spent on the Air Force or the Navy.

Not to mention you can quadpack an ESSM.
It's too late for that. We're stuck with harimau now. It's better they start to fix harimau's problem immediately.

Also before anyone asks, I don't hate the Kaplan MT or think it's useless, I just don't think it's a cost effective or well thought out program.

For the most part, if we're expected to engage tanks that lands on our shores then it's already hopelessly outclassed by the fact it only has a 105mm gun. Were it to have a 120mm L/44 then I could understand the idea, but obviously that's not the case here. Furthermore if the idea of it being an infantry support vehicle in a mostly jungle environment, then it's stupid to give it a 105mm instead of an autocannon. Yes, tank cannons work well in urban terrain like Fallujah and Grozny, but if you were to engage Infantry teams or light vehicles in a mixture of open and triple canopy brush then it'd make more sense to have a rapid firing autocannon then one HEAT/HESH shell every couple of seconds. Finally, it's pretty hard to justify the $7 mil price tag for what's essentially a very niche vehicle. If it were a modular chassis that (without modification of the chassis) be able to carry troops and mount an assortment of turrets (similar to the Ajax SV or the BMP-3) then I can see it costing around that ballpark, but again that's not the reality here.

All in all it's mostly a politically driven project. I'd rather the government had a true competion between global prime contractors and just let Pindad have a modest integration work contract. It's a waste of taxpayer money that is better spent on the Air Force or the Navy.

Not to mention you can quadpack an ESSM.
lets wait for CSG And PINDAD response after it

i wonder what will happened after the prabowo decision to exclude proyek alutsista with markup more than 10% , will this mean a less broker included in tender ?

FB_IMG_15876318491104748.jpg

PT.Pindad Armoured Personel Carrier ( APC )

i wonder what will happened after the prabowo decision to exclude proyek alutsista with markup more than 10% , will this mean a less broker included in tender ?
Is that true, he really said that or just some kabar burung?

Is that true, he really said that or just some kabar burung?
to be honest my source is the one that rizal ramli said about he was saving up 3,4$ billion dollar for anggaran menhan after rejecting defense procurement with mark up more than 10% .

What, like modularity?

Is it even modular?
Like what chestnutt, I, and some user mentioned
- to big for asian posture, rearrange seat maybe
- too back heavy sampai mendongak-dongak (give front side thicker armour maybe)
- make it slightly cheaper (secure phillipine MT deal, more unit got produce, it'll get cheaper for the upcoming batch)
- upgrade to 120mm, CMI has 120 mm turret too
- etc

Last edited:
politically driven project
Sorry if kaplan politically driven, but because what? Just gaya2an? Nanya beneran. I remember in kaskus that this tank designed (didesain emg hanya untuk jdi medium tank) with better armor than bmp, kifx, etc that they are ifv with 105 mm while kaplan is "a trully medium tank"

Cmiiw

So, what will do with this project? Scrap or dimanfaatkan dgn baik dan benar?

Soal harga emg pd tanda tanya sih

That's SSB Light tank, old APC prototype before Harimau was introduced
Also as i remember there is harimau ifv, it is new designed by pindad and fnss. But the picture like kaplan 20

Lockheed looks to sell additional F-16s to customers in Africa, Asia and South America
By: Valerie Insinna   19 hours ago

RSQ5R3HGXND2PCWAUD2NSXIXRY.jpg

An F-16 Fighting Falcon from the 555th Fighter Squadron flies at sunset during a deployment to Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar. (Staff Sgt. Krystal Ardrey/U.S. Air Force)

WASHINGTON — Lockheed Martin anticipates another wave of international F-16 sales, with countries from Africa, South America and Southeast Asia among those interested in purchasing the jet, the company’s chief financial officer said Tuesday.

“I think this is a good fourth-generation aircraft for those customers that can’t afford the F-35 or, frankly, can’t at this time buy the F-35,” Lockheed CFO Kenneth Possenriede told investors during an April 21 earnings call. “It might be a good intermediary step for customers to go from the F-16 to F-35. So we see it frankly as complementary and not competing against themselves.”

F-35 deliveries could slow down, as COVID-19 jolts Lockheed’s supply chain

Unlike the F-35 program, which is seeing disruption within its supply chain that could delay future deliveries, the F-16 production line has experienced little impact as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, Possenriede said.

The company moved production of the F-16 production line from Fort Worth, Texas, to Greenville, South Carolina, in 2019 to accommodate production of 16 Block 70 aircraft for Bahrain. Since Bahrain’s order in 2018, Lockheed has garnered contracts for eight F-16s for Bulgaria, 14 aircraft for Slovakia, and is working with the U.S. government on a sale of 66 jets for Taiwan.

“We also have a couple of orders for F-16 that we're working to try to shape,” Possenriede said. “There is an African country that is interested in F-16, so we're hopeful that will happen. [There is also a] South American country, and then there are some Southeast Asian countries that are interested in F-16 as well.”

Possenriede didn’t detail which nations were considering purchases of the F-16, as defense companies typically wait until international militaries publicly declare their interest in a sale before talking about specific customers.

Richard Aboulafia, an aerospace analyst with the Teal Group, said there’s a “pretty good chance” that some of those orders materialize.

“Lockheed was doing a disservice by forgetting the F-16 program for so many years. They had this idea that the future was F-35 and nothing but F-35, ignoring the part of the market that is not prepared to buy the F-35 price tag,” he said. “It’s actually a really good franchise with a really solid core market. It seems ill-advised to neglect it.”

If a new customer in Africa is looking to buy F-16s, it could be Botswana, which has indicated an interest in buying fighter jets, Aboulafia said. Lockheed has already sold F-16s to Morocco and Egypt, and the U.S. State Department in 2019 cleared Morocco for new F-16s and upgrades.

In South America, Lockheed has been trying to sell F-16s to Argentina for years, but Aboulafia believes a second order for Chile is a more likely prospect. In Southeast Asia, a sale to Indonesia “would seem to be one of the most likely possibilities,” he added
https://www.defensenews.com/global/...l-f-16s-to-customers-in-africa-south-america/

- make it slightly cheaper (secure phillipine MT deal, more unit got produce, it'll get cheaper for the upcoming batch)
- etc
My biggest gripe; Too little armor for it's weight.

- etc

I don't think 120mm is necessary since Harimau is not designed to go head2head with MBT in the first place (CMIIW). Harimau will act more as an FSV so 105mm is enough (resulting in a lighter weight, more ammo capacity, and perhaps cheaper price per hull)

- etc
I don't see the problems with the 3105 gun. Remember we're in asia. 105mm can still pierced through >90% of most armor in the region.

Back
Top Bottom