What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

maybe the function almost similar like a USAF aircraft J-STAR.
but only airborne command & control only?
Yup this one probably C-295 Special Mission we recently received. The purpose at the moment more of Command & Control ground based troops, navy & passive airborne. Mini version of J-STAR
FB_IMG_15636328779314528.jpg

Whoops, the low R&D budget is probably the main reason, but then the government said that it's more about administration problem, that there's no special budget for this program. However, it's an unofficial ROK Military fanpage, i personally don't find his opinion is of any importance, the matter is more complex than just about this one program, it's about Indonesia-South Korea bilateral relationship as a whole. I will really appreciate a good argument for his opinion, but then "CN-235? no thanks" "sincerely hope that our government cut ties" no shit sherlock, 8 years into this shit and now they play with the words "cuts ties, kicks"? i don't know what he's smoking, but aside of that, apparently he's not that aware at business and diplomatic things.

The President should appoint somebody with a "big name" to handle this program personally, Indonesia-South Korea cooperation must continue and getting stronger by days. By appointing the "right hand" to oversee this program, it will certainly be something of a "guarantee" for them, that they will have someone close to the President that they could talk to in case of problems. We need to be more committed to this, that's for sure, however, "public opinion" of their citizens is not something that we should be thinking about, it doesn't really matter, as the last time there's a "public opinion" about us over the internet, it says that Tarlac-class LPD is too bulky for combat (????). Opinion is opinion, nothing more or less, including my own, don't overthink it.

I know it's just his opinion(this FP's admin even has a dispute with MaxDefense especially about the TASS thing) i just want to point this out that this thing is already reaching their people's opinion....and at this situation we must make a "thick face" but you know something like this opinion still.....make us as an Indonesian looks unreliable and it's really irritating(well it can't help but to face that we have our own circumstances)and i just hope the we can bear with this project until the end so we can slap that face whos doubting at us

Last edited:
Percentage agreed upon and how much we should pay.
FB_IMG_15636340714910577.jpg

Credit to Fb page World Defense Zone
This is actually a good programme we shouldn't spoil untill lately. God no idea what to say

i see a really great chance we're going to do a complete withdrawal from KF-X project.............

Indonesia Devoted Budget for Naval Hydrographic Ships
By Dorian Archus - July 20, 2019022

Indonesia will buy two 90 meter ocean going hydrographic vessels in near future. The Indonesian Ministry of Finance has approved a budget of IDR2.04 trillion (US$143 million) for the procurement of two newbuild hydrographic survey ships for the country’s navy.

The vessels will also be designed to be quickly modified for submarine rescue operations as needed.

Delivery of the two vessels is expected within the 2020-2024 timeframe.

Indonesian plan to buy ocean going hydrographic vessels had been stated in its defense planning since a few years ago. The original idea had raised about 10 year ago. Today operated only three hydrographic vessels, Indonesia have to replace former RN Hecla class with new one.

https://navalnews.net/indonesia-devoted-budget-for-naval-hydrographic-ships/

French OCEA Shipyard made KRI Rigel & KRI Spica are 60 metres length & 11 metres beams however the article mentioned 2 90 metres hydrographic vessels. Let's see in couple months what actually we procure

After 2nd thought indeed that opinion based writtings in Fb page isn't something politicians or diplomats would state regarding this affair. Moreover the situation in field of defense between South Korea & Indonesia is beyond KFX/IFX, it covers many things which actually benefit greatly to South Korea. It's too immature to judge what to happens on KFX/IFX now especially from unofficial Fb page alone.

So Rigel class is more of off shore surveillance vessels and they got the right tools to do so. And this new class ships will be our Submarine Rescuing ,surveillance and support vessels,

The closest one like MV Swift is short of 5 meters, cant thing the candidate

So Rigel class is more of off shore surveillance vessels and they got the right tools to do so. And this new class ships will be our Submarine Rescuing ,surveillance and support vessels,

The closest one like MV Swift is short of 5 meters, cant thing the candidate
Yes i heard that since 2018 deep rescue capable ship and deep salvage capable, a multipurpose diving support

After Siwi now Andika turns

Kunjungan KSAD di Australia, Pererat Kerja Sama Kedua Angkatan Darat
Adam Prawira

Sabtu, 20 Juli 2019 - 19:01 WIBKSAD Jenderal TNI Andika Perkasa berkunjung ke Australian Commander of Defence Force (CDF) dan Australian Chief of Army (CA), Kamis (18/7/2019) lalu. Foto/Dispenad
kasad-di-australia-1-e1563634700766.jpeg

Last edited:
Jokowi look like a person who doesnt have vision on strategic defense program, he should look on China on this matter. China can balance between economy and its strategic indigenous program even since China was still poor. Spending money on military program doesnt hinder China economic development.

The benefit of this strategy (developing indigenous weapon) can only be taken after 10-20 years, particularly the difficult one like building a jet fighter, thats why China now can make so many weapon by himself. It is because its consistency to pure money on many R&D programs since 50 years ago. Its relation to USSR (now Russia) is also helping, on the other hand we have South Korea.

Indonesia defense budget is also not more than 4 percent of our total government spending, much less than Singapore (14 percent) and China (8%). 2 billion USD spending is also an investment that potentially can come back in the future. Rupiah is also getting stronger now. There are many other easy way to retain US dollar like putting more tariff on China steel and let Saudi build our refinery as soon as possible so that our dependency on oil import get reduced.

Demanding barter to pay R&D cost is really ridiculous, it looks like a way to make Indonesia can exit from the program by being kick out by Korean so that this administration cannot be questioned by parliament who support KFX program since the start. If I am not mistaken parliament has already guard the program by regulation that make this administration cannot easily walk out of it.

I think Jokowi listen too much on his economic team thats why this barter idea comes out. Su 35 acquisition is also using barter payment (half) that make the process get more complex and difficult.

As Jokowi voter I am really disappointed on the way he is handling our defense procurement and defense program. Lapan budget has also been cut by him (2020).

Relation with South Korea should also become consideration as this program continuation can improve our strategic relation.

I hope SBY have meeting with Jokowi and discuss about this program. Maybe even better if democrat party can join the government coalition so that it can influence the future of KFX program.

China doesnt have democracy, we do and democracy is the most un-efficient form of govt. China rulling party hasnt change much and pretty much the same thus their program can have continuation and with represive/iron hand it become more effective. Its pretty much like Orde Baru era.

Now let me take you back to Order Baru era. Economic growth can reach 7%+/year couple of time in a row, did we even see that 7% economic growth number since Reformasi? Remember Nurtanio a.k.a PT.DI? N250, N2130 (Jet Engine 80-130 passanger) are their design and one of them is ready for production. Now let me take you to todays Indonesia aero industry N219, now compare it to N250 & N2130. Huge different? One is product of Dictator kinda govt and the other with Democracy kinda govt. See why its hard for us to create R&D? First our democracy is young and immature, second we have changed Regime couple of time where China remain the same.

Thats why its hard to compete with china, simply because we are not China. But I do get your point, I hope you get mine.

IFX, Can we afford our own fighter?

I have said in my previous post that this just speculation and amateur analyze, but lets get started.

IFX is too ambitious, even LFX. Why? we simply cant afford it. The reason we joined IFX is to have knowledge to design and make our own fighter. Lets just say we paid our due to Korea and the project finish. What next? We rakit our IFX? With the hefty payment and the 48 IFX we must purchased simply wont leave us any room in our budget to go ahead and start our own IFX/LFX project. What are our aero engineers with those expensive knowledge from Korea going to do with no project to apply their knowledge? Wouldnt be a waste if those knowlege be use just to Rakit Pesawat tempur? The idea is to be able to design and produce new fighter, but no budget left so?.......

Now lets pretend miracle happen and we have design our own Fighter. We must invest even more to create production line, etc. Once the production line is ready and the fighter got certified we must purchase our new fighters in large amount to meet economic scale, another money we must spend but dont have much of it. If this stage fail then we are going to have a fighter thats very expensive, perhaps it will be cheaper to just buy it from others. Kemandirian? with those avionic and engine still have to be imported....

See the result? First case we continue IFX but still cant afford to make our own fighter in which is the reason we joined the project in the first place - mission failed. Second case we have made the design and can produce it but cant afford to purchase large enough to economically sustain the project. Even if we do it might take too long and the technology might already be old if not absolete - mission failed (Example: Indian Tejas).

Maybe our current govt can see it, where previous one missed it. With this new perspective the question remain, can we afford our own fighter? :D

China doesnt have democracy, we do and democracy is the most un-efficient form of govt. China rulling party hasnt change much and pretty much the same thus their program can have continuation and with represive/iron hand it become more effective. Its pretty much like Orde Baru era.

Now let me take you back to Order Baru era. Economic growth can reach 7%+/year couple of time in a row, did we even see that 7% economic growth number since Reformasi? Remember Nurtanio a.k.a PT.DI? N250, N2130 (Jet Engine 80-130 passanger) are their design and one of them is ready for production. Now let me take you to todays Indonesia aero industry N219, now compare it to N250 & N2130. Huge different? One is product of Dictator kinda govt and the other with Democracy kinda govt. See why its hard for us to create R&D? First our democracy is young and immature, second we have changed Regime couple of time where China remain the same.

Thats why its hard to compete with china, simply because we are not China. But I do get your point, I hope you get mine.

I have said in my previous post that this just speculation and amateur analyze, but lets get started.

IFX is too ambitious, even LFX. Why? we simply cant afford it. The reason we joined IFX is to have knowledge to design and make our own fighter. Lets just say we paid our due to Korea and the project finish. What next? We rakit our IFX? With the hefty payment and the 48 IFX we must purchased simply wont leave us any room in our budget to go ahead and start our own IFX/LFX project. What are our aero engineers with those expensive knowledge from Korea going to do with no project to apply their knowledge? Wouldnt be a waste if those knowlege be use just to Rakit Pesawat tempur? The idea is to be able to design and produce new fighter, but no budget left so?.......

Now lets pretend miracle happen and we have design our own Fighter. We must invest even more to create production line, etc. Once the production line is ready and the fighter got certified we must purchase our new fighters in large amount to meet economic scale, another money we must spend but dont have much of it. If this stage fail then we are going to have a fighter thats very expensive, perhaps it will be cheaper to just buy it from others. Kemandirian? with those avionic and engine still have to be imported....

See the result? First case we continue IFX but still cant afford to make our own fighter in which is the reason we joined the project in the first place - mission failed. Second case we have made the design and can produce it but cant afford to purchase large enough to economically sustain the project. Even if we do it might take too long and the technology might already be old if not absolete - mission failed (Example: Indian Tejas).

Maybe our current govt can see it, where previous one missed it. With this new perspective the question remain, can we afford our own fighter? :D

South Korean is a democracy country, quite volatile even with some gov even accusing their predecessor as corupt and fighting in parliament is quite a habit there. So with Japanese, French, UK and so on. There is no barrier on how democracy can bar your progress, Korean can show you even after the fall of Park dictatorship their economy still can growing at high rates. And their technology advancement is quite at high pace after democracy era ushered in 1990 decades. The differences between us and them is not in political system we embrace, but the willingness and commitmen of us as a whole Nation to finish the work we are doing. Lately we are taking many great lesson from China, Korea and Japanese on how to do business, being hardworking and be more creative, but there is still lingering backward mentality on how to get the results instantly still persist among us as Indonesian. This case of KFX/IFX debacle is a fine example on how we are still lingering at our utmost basic mentality as Indonesian , we want to get the best results instantly, skipping the phase and trying to bargain the sacrifice needed to get process get done.

For the budget, i am very damn sure our economy are big enough to sustain such expenditure it just our priority is not there

i see a really great chance we're going to do a complete withdrawal from KF-X project.............
Raduga, this is like the 5th time i saw you posting negative/pessimistic thing on this thread

The technologies can be acquired in the future, and the budget could increase too, it's not an eternal state of we being "just like this", no, every year it keeps getting better than previously, we went from just making licensed guns then to APC and we now going to make armored tracked fighting vehicle. In the Naval sector we went from barely making civilian boats, and then successfully acquired LPD design and building capability and now going to have military submarine-building capability, that in a span of the post-Reformasi timeline, when at the same time we established the 3rd largest democracy, pay Orba debts, recover from 1998 and Tsunami, fighting separatist, and sustains our GDP growth to the now 1.1 trillion USD, Indonesia survived and thriving, and that starting from nothing. Sorry for the preaching, but you got the point.

For KFX/IFX specifically, what i got from the development progress all this year, is that KFX/IFX joint production could be the thing, that we're going to make parts of the IFX and progressively get more and more knowledge and expertise of the design, but back to the original idea that KFX/IFX was meant to be a long-term investment that first comes in a 4.5th+ gen fighter in block 1, and then goes to the block 2 and block 3 where 5th gen tech variants of the KFX/IFX would be introduced, KFX/IFX design philosophy have that in mind (and even the future added technologies), so the most logical option would be to invest in KFX/IFX acquisition and co-production post 2026, or even beyond 2030 if necessary (tbh, wouldn't you think the budget will increase by then? coupled with the fact that basic infrastructure development would be finished before then, the money and the priority wouldn't be diverted that much).

Well, even the Gripen still have plenty of imported components, but that doesn't stop it being a hot export commodity for the Swedes, even with all the imported US-made components, the Gripen still gives them a huge advantage in self-sufficiency, and they were able to make Gripen from 4th gen fighter, up to the so-called 4.5th gen standard Gripen NG, added to that is the Gripen reputation of "mendarat, refuel, rearm dan take-off di jalanan sempit". KFX/IFX is going to be our Gripen, that's what we need to anticipate from this program, other than that, mastering the KFX/IFX design as much as possible and being able to make as much portion of the plane as possible is the go-to plan, that's completely feasible than just went to zero again and design a plane from scratch, just like what we did with our own LPDs that are derived from the South Korean Makassar-class.

Also, there's no comparing of this program to Tejas, it's like comparing apple to orange.

Last edited:
Raduga, this is like the 5th time i saw you posting negative/pessimistic thing on this thread

The technologies can be acquired in the future, and the budget could increase too, it's not an eternal state of we being "just like this", no, every year it keeps getting better than previously, we went from just making licensed guns then to APC and we now going to make armored tracked fighting vehicle. In the Naval sector we went from barely making civilian boats, and then successfully acquired LPD design and building capability and now going to have military submarine-building capability, that in a span of the post-Reformasi timeline, when at the same time we established the 3rd largest democracy, pay Orba debts, recover from 1998 and Tsunami, fighting separatist, and sustains our GDP growth to the now 1.1 trillion USD, Indonesia survived and thriving, and that starting from nothing. Sorry for the preaching, but you got the point.

For KFX/IFX specifically, what i got from the development progress all this year, is that KFX/IFX joint production could be the thing, that we're going to make parts of the IFX and progressively get more and more knowledge and expertise of the design, but back to the original idea that KFX/IFX was meant to be a long-term investment that first comes in a 4.5th+ gen fighter in block 1, and then goes to the block 2 and block 3 where 5th gen tech variants of the KFX/IFX would be introduced, KFX/IFX design philosophy have that in mind (and even the future added technologies), so the most logical option would be to invest in KFX/IFX acquisition and co-production post 2026, or even beyond 2030 if necessary (tbh, wouldn't you think the budget will increase by then? coupled with the fact that basic infrastructure development would be finished before then, the money and the priority wouldn't be diverted that much).

Well, even the Gripen still have plenty of imported components, but that doesn't stop it being a hot export commodity for the Swedes, even with all the imported US-made components, the Gripen still gives them a huge advantage in self-sufficiency, and they were able to make Gripen from 4th gen fighter, up to the so-called 4.5th gen standard Gripen NG, added to that is the Gripen reputation of "mendarat, refuel, rearm dan take-off di jalanan sempit". KFX/IFX is going to be our Gripen, that's what we need to anticipate from this program, other than that, mastering the KFX/IFX design as much as possible and being able to make as much portion of the plane as possible is the go-to plan, that's completely feasible than just went to zero again and design a plane from scratch, just like what we did with our own LPDs that are derived from the South Korean Makassar-class.

Also, there's no comparing of this program to Tejas, it's like comparing apple to orange.

Agree, even South Korea with their golden eagle series still needs imported machines, radars, etc.

Last edited:
I don't think so since Indonesia already invested on IF-X hangar and equipments. It will be a complete waste of money if Indonesia withdraw.

https://www.intellasia.net/indonesia-enacts-law-to-boost-collaboration-with-korea-676057
Withdrawing from this won't be simple bureaucracy as we already enacted Bill to Act of Parliament ensuring collaboration defence partnership with South Korea. If we withdraw somehow, Government particularly Ministry of Defence will receive tough & furry Q&A with 1st Commission House of Representative. Even so, should the worst actually happens, i mean if, better we have decent Exit Plan / Plan B. Though at the moment it's premature to judge what to happens on KFX/IFX programme

Back
Top Bottom