What's new

Indignesous SPARROW needed

AZADPAKISTAN2009

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Considering Pakistan has limited Number of ships and some of the ships are not adequetly
beefed up , one wonders if the SPARROW clone is something we need to look into
from China

eu-vendera-misiles-a-japon.jpg

The SPARROW system is a neat simple system , to equip 8 missile in very small space with 360 degree rotation enabled for all direction coverage

A fairly simple design using the Same missiles used in Fighter Jets for a Short to Medium Range Fighter Jet bird killing defence

abhishek-sharma-rim-7-sea-sparrow-01.jpg

Portion of the Helicopter Landing Pad , can easily be converted to house a Sparrow system
160918-N-WF272-020-453x315.jpg

Or Similar platform for a nice Ground to Air security for Navy Ships

Last edited:
Well I was thinking along the lines for a System , placing some of these for our

a) Remaining Type 21
b) OHP's air defence beef up
c) Option for Usage on F22P & Dehshat class missile boats

Likely imagining a system like SD10 and similar missiles
bvr.jpg

sea_sparrow_missile_launcher.jpg

A slightly bigger missile can be requested from China for Classified range increase for happy suprise

Sparrow would look great for Dehshat Class Missile boats

PNS+AZMAT+Fast+Attack+Craft+%2528Missile%2529+Launched+SR60+radar+FAC+1031ee+8+C802A345+NAVY++%25282%2529.jpg

• Get rid of Digy boat at back and put a Sparrow System

Also improve the OHP platform
1106(1).jpg

Last edited:
1 ) I think as pn moved away from Ly-60 to fm-90 During f-22p contract fm-90 is better or cheaper or cost effective option
2) paf history book claims it was Eval for joint pa and paf lomad but rejected
3) pn uses mistral for ground air Defence ie marines so does it makes sense to go for it point defense on smaller boats liken Missile boats
It’s called Sadral and simbad

https://www.army-technology.com/projects/mistral-missile/

4 medium range is now Ly-80 with type 54a which will provide area air defense at sea for a task force and each ship individual anti air system will act as last defense via fm-90 or some thing equivalent

https://www.army-technology.com/projects/mistral-missile/attachment/mistral-missile7/

Last edited:
Well doctrine should be

• Every Ship must have it's own SAM system such as Sparrow (Bare minimul)
  • The Shoulder held ANZA would be a suppliment option

Obviously for Larger ships which have more room and space you can install a custom
SAM system like HQ-19 OR FM-90

Ideally for Dehshat Class Missile boats , it is must 100%
For OHP frigate , we got we should 100% have it installed

I think with a little imagination we can certainly make the coastal defence none penetrable
SAM_PAKISTAN.png

Clear to see if we had a proper SAM local Solution for NAVY , which we can install at will
it would have made our Coastal defence prominent

Last edited:
Well considering some of the big ships have 32 missiles or so , in modern ships as example , the mere minimum we should install on our assets is a standard 8 misile deterrant

Which is reasonable for the type of ships we have in our arsenal

The Type 021 Ships we got could use a Mid Life upgrade from China i.e Exterior cleanup (Remove all the Antennas and clunker wires) and intrduction of new sensors or Radar beam tech

I think imagining a smooth design after some exterior modifications on the Type 021
Just change the exterior a bit

Type 056 corvette design from China
Type_056_corvette_Bangladesh.jpg

Vs the Type 21 Ships we have in Pakistan Navy older design ships
1200px-PNS_Tippu_Sultan_former_HMS_Avenger.jpg

There are just too many , chains, wires, and Antennas like cat whiskers and clutter all over the ship

Last edited:
Already have them on the old Type-21s, 3 of the 6.

I don't think we have the Sparrow system on any PN ship. We used to have Standard SM-1 Missile system for the Brooks/Garcia program.

Last edited:
We operate Aspide 2000 for ground-based air defence system some international navies have a naval version on their older ships.
New Russian
Pantsir-M/EM naval short range SAM, CIWS has small dimensions. It will be installed on Russian navys Aircraft carrier. It is expensive but worth the money I guess. I am new cant upload photo of this beast. Its range is 15-20km.

I don't think we have the Sparrow system on any PN ship. We used to have Standard SM-1 Missile system for the Brooks/Garcia program.
Not sparrow but a chinese aspide(itself driven from sparrow) copy, the LY60.

they are LY-60

ly-60_02.jpg

1200px-PNS_Tippu_Sultan_former_HMS_Avenger.jpg

The+F183+PNS+Khaibar+Tariq+class+frigates+are+ex-Royal+Navy+Type+21+Pakistan+Navy+Babur+%2528ex-Amazon%2529Shah+Jahan+%2528ex-Active%2529Tariq+%2528ex-Ambuscade%2529Khaibar+%2528ex-Arrow%2529Badr+%2528ex-Alacrity%2529Tippu+Sultan+%2528ex-Avenger%2529.jpg

Yes exactly and LY60 is aspide derivative, which is itself a sparrow derivative. That is the case which the OP was making, a chinese clone/derivative of sparrow.

I think the new enlarged F-22Ps are rumored to have VLS. So they can fit it with a very flexible missile load. So in theory they can be fitted with a much potent SAM system.

Inadequate SAM coverage was one of the shortcoming highlighted by PN and to be rectified in future variant so will have to wait and see.

Well something need to be done to turn the Vanilla Ships into something defensive/offensive option going forward

The accessibility of FM-90 and HQ-19 is a positive sign we can enhance the ships at our own Pace

We do need 4 Systems for Navy

a) HQ-19
b) FM-90
c) Hisar-0 / Hisar A
d) SD-10 based multi missile (Sparrow Clone)

Oh wait completely forgot about our Chinese OPV

SAM_PAKISTAN.png

ZfplBhX.gif

Last edited:
Despite having a narrow coastline, Pakistan has geographical depth .

On-water platforms should be able to provide the dominance of the area to cover the economic zones and asw warfare. The number of platforms is more important than the total strike power of the naval battle group. Instead of the $ 1 billion destroyers, the $ 250 million multi-role frigates are more important for area dominance.The main strike force of Pakistani navy must be underwater platforms. Because Pakistan's littoral waters A2AD capacity provided by air squadrons and missile command.

Big await is really for the Turkish Ships and Possible arrival of Type 054 Ships
However unless we get some long term contract for NAVY Sparrow clone

We will be running around ships with less Areal defence
From a technical prespective this does not looks that much of challenge

Very Simple robotic Launcher with Amram or SD10 missiles
sea_sparrow_missile_launcher.jpg

The 4 Turkish Milgem or Islambul class ships could be a tremendous sight 3-4 Ships patrolling

thumbs_b_c_a20634f6b01a06dd919887afa4d9754e.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom