What's new

India’s navy wants 100 technologies by 2031 including railguns, hypersonic weapons and lasers

We do. We just don't have a timeline as specific as this.
But setting aside some target timeline really helps, like iam 20 years old, when i turn 23 i would like to complete my masters, and then maybe settle in for a good job, here for indian navy 2030 looks to be fairly a good timeline, because if US navy gets something, China will also like to have it......

But setting aside some target timeline really helps, like iam 20 years old, when i turn 23 i would like to complete my masters, and then maybe settle in for a good job, here for indian navy 2030 looks to be fairly a good timeline, because if US navy gets something, China will also like to have it......
When you are at my age (closing to 50), you will know the future is far less predictable. :)

When you are at my age (closing to 50), you will know the future is far less predictable. :)
Good planning has worked for me, since i was 12 i wanted to be an engineer, i started my preparation when i was in 8 std, ever since then i have followed what i had thought 7 years back.....and iam quite successful, maybe it works for some people having constant target, and not changing them with time.....sorry for being off topic....

Good planning has worked for me, since i was 12 i wanted to be an engineer, i started my preparation when i was in 8 std, ever since then i have followed what i had thought 7 years back.....and iam quite successful, maybe it works for some people having constant target, and not changing them with time.....sorry for being off topic....
Being an engineer myself, I am confident to say that long-term planning is highly overrated. Engineering is a slow march on solid foot steps via many trials and errors in the process. Long-term planning or prediction for any development of cutting-edge technologies is more likely to become ill-fated prophecy. It is OK to have a long-term target. It is naive to put a date for it far into the future.

Being an engineer myself, I am confident to say that long-term planning is highly overrated. Engineering is a slow march on solid foot steps via many trials and errors in the process. Long-term planning or prediction for any development of cutting-edge technologies is more likely to become ill-fated prophecy. It is OK to have a long-term target. It is naive to put a date for it far into the future.
I have to agree with you 100% sir.....exact date or month cannot be predicted, but the destination always remains the same.....its just a dream to have some good stuff....

it may not be possible to put a Laser weapon or a Rail gun Weapon in smaller vessels, but a larger vessel can incorporate a "raw" variety of those weapons. Only that they need a burst of high energy so You need some sort of "energy bank" that can save that energy and provide it to the weapon on demand.

The more realistic target would be to reduce foreign dependence on sensors and weapons meanwhile, work towards these higher tech goals. 2027 or 2030, speed does not matter as long as you are going in the right direction.

If the navy invests in the right direction(which they are doing) I am pretty sure they're gonna get/develop these tech in the given time frame.
For now indigenous boilers and nuke reactor should be a priority.

****, I thought you was kid son

it may not be possible to put a Laser weapon or a Rail gun Weapon in smaller vessels, but a larger vessel can incorporate a "raw" variety of those weapons. Only that they need a burst of high energy so You need some sort of "energy bank" that can save that energy and provide it to the weapon on demand.

The more realistic target would be to reduce foreign dependence on sensors and weapons meanwhile, work towards these higher tech goals. 2027 or 2030, speed does not matter as long as you are going in the right direction.

The navy is the only service which puts great emphasis on indigenization, so they will figure this out

What we need most is a powerfull mfstar like indigenous naval radar and a gasturbine engine.

The navy is the only service which puts great emphasis on indigenization, so they will figure this out

It is a logical fallacy to say "because they are better than others, they will figure it out". They may be better than the rest, they may even be having the best intentions, but its not easy to develop such techs. there will be a lot of challenges.

However, India should find a niche product that they will be good at - and use that as leverage for exchange with other countries who have developed complementary techs. That is the globalization model. Just like in a society one person cannot be good at everything. A country will have expertise in some areas and you need to make that stronger and use it as leverage.

Just my two cents.

Dream huge, talk big, do little and achieve nothing.

Back
Top Bottom