What's new

India's Mars mission sparks another UK aid row

I know, you're missing my point.
If you lived in a slum and saw millions being spent on a mission to Mars, you would be pretty pissed.

No, we would not. Traditionally, Indians have always given importance to Science, Mathematics and technology for last 3000 years. Every Indian is proud of our achievement in space. If not our PM would not have include this in his address to the nation on our independence day

I know, you're missing my point.
If you lived in a slum and saw millions being spent on a mission to Mars, you would be pretty pissed.

Sir, I do understand that we have million living in slums, however there is a separate progressive strategy to eradicate it. We have separate strategies for poor and space research.

And you are not British as it would be Pissed Off and not Pissed as Pissed would mean drunk in the UK!

Please correct me if I am wrong.

PS: Britisher is a wrong terminology, it's British.

@timetravel. I know india is growing fast, but there are still many millions living in poverty are there not?

U cannot develop as a country without technology. Technology developed by ISRO is helping to lift millions out of poverty and is also helping us secure our nation. We need to develop in all areas. It is not even an option to leave out technological development.

The only point that is left for debate is there should be a balanced approach to the amount of funds allocated to various purposes ranging from defence, education, ISRO, Poverty, healthcare etc. And I think we are doing good on maintaining the balance. We only spend 2% on defense and appropriate amount on ISRO budget. We are no way overspending for ISRO at cost of our other priorities. So India is doing right and is on right track.

But what the west feels that India should not SPEND on ISRO or on science and technology is a lost argument. The west needs to shed its old image of India. India is a transformed nation now. Just wait for 2 decades and India would be a leading nation in science and technology. So its better if UK sheds the old image of India and moves on with present time.

UK had its time and glory in history. Now other nations are rising which will take their rightful place in terms of leadership in Science and Technology. UK must be graceful enough in accepting this change of order. It will be much better for UK to cooperate with India and other such nations, rather then questioning their rise or efforts.

They wont until they get guaranteed job.rice and wheat for 2 rupees per kilogram.:lol:
Most Indians consider ISRO as their pride

another jamati
210538d1323978757-way-piss-me-off-you-mad.jpg
:confused: Fair enough then. Differences in national character I guess.
:P

The point is poor people in India look inwards first for their apathy - they believe in their own destiny and not at hand outs like welfare programs, I know a lot of people who work as house servants or drivers but they work to put their children through school and college so their children don't carry their fate, as far as ISRO's achievements are concerned poor people will be proud of it and will aspire that their children be part of these programs as a scientist or a researcher.

Also, many of these working @ ISRO are from these slums. The perspective is larger when we actually try to look at it from a freer mind :)

Sir, I do understand that we have million living in slums, however there is a separate progressive strategy to eradicate it. We have separate strategies for poor and space research.

And you are not British as it would be Pissed Off and not Pissed as Pissed would mean drunk in the UK!

Please correct me if I am wrong.

PS: Britisher is a wrong terminology, it's British.
I am British. Yep they can both be used. A bit americanised I know.
Indians tend to say Britisher, whereas we would say Brit or Briton.

I'm sorry, museums aren't really relevant to this thread.
Oh but it does matter, you are saying none of your museums have objects from other countries.
No, they did not. But they did start the 2 bloodiest wars in history. Those wars were of no benefit to us.
Whereas the empire has left some positive aspects on India.
What attitudes have I displayed which suggest I do not care for the poor?
That's all I'm gonna say.

You don't understand psyche of an ordinary Indians. Math, and Science are revered in India. We pursue those ignoring other subjects. A student worth is measured by his grades in Math, and Science, and not by what he gets in arts or languages, or how good he is in sport.

That is one reason India in spite of being a poor country has such advance space program. We are the third country to send a mission to Mars after US and USSR.

British ought to be the last ones to speak. British were notorious for employing child labor and the inhumane treatment of its labor class during their empire building days. Poverty alleviation in India is being done at a very rapid pace. What we need now is time. Sheer number of people alone makes it difficult for government agencies to ensure that the benefits trickle down to every section of the society.

Compared to the money Indian government spends pn poverty alleviation--the amount spent on space science is peanuts.

Well I will take your point with a bit iffy, however I do hope if you are a Brit, then you do understand the bigger perspective. India and UK have amazing ties and we as the citizens should carry it forward. (Pissed will always been known as Drunk for a British, trust me)

STFU to people who think British cheated in the Oly, it is completely baseless and this one has been my favorite Oly so far due to the wonderful British theme attached to it. If you do not agree, go suck a duck!

You don't understand psyche of an ordinary Indians. Math, and Science are revered in India. We pursue those ignoring other subjects. A student worth is measured by his grades in Math, and Science, and not by what he gets in arts or languages, or how good he is in sport.

That is one reason India in spite of being a poor country has such advance space program. We are the third country to send a mission to Mars after US and USSR.
errr. did you mean to quote me? or....?

Well I will take your point with a bit iffy, however I do hope if you are a Brit, then you do understand the bigger perspective. India and UK have amazing ties and we as the citizens should carry it forward. (Pissed will always been known as Drunk for a British, trust me)

STFU to people who think British cheated in the Oly, it is completely baseless and this one has been my favorite Oly so far due to the wonderful British theme attached to it. If you do not agree, go suck a duck!
Ha, I am British. It's not really the country of choice on this forum so I wouldn't pretend to be british. :P
Agreed.
I only made a simply point which was my opinion. Instead 956 people replied to it.
:D

I agree, but that in long term is not good, as Art and Culture is as important as Science studies for any country to thrive. Management and commerce studies will be obselete soon as they only are providing stop gap measures due to inefficiencies in our human understanding of Science, Technology and Culture.

I hope you can understand this, no one has a mind to look forward to a better future in a loser country, but a country where a section progresses with hard work is looked up to by the poorer section who get to understand that for success they will require education and hard work - which they try to instill in their kids. It's a ray of hope for them when they see people coming from a poor background taste success.
What? Not really relevant to what I said...

errr. did you mean to quote me? or....?

Ha, I am British. It's not really the country of choice on this forum so I wouldn't pretend to be british. :P
Agreed.
I only made a simply point which was my opinion. Instead 956 people replied to it.
:D

Yes, I mean to quote you, but selected the wrong post

What is the future of Britian in you opinion? Bright or dim? Why is Britian Breaking in a referendum? How will the de-Industrialised Britian cope in a complex economy of the future..

I'm sorry, museums aren't really relevant to this thread.
Oh but it does matter, you are saying none of your museums have objects from other countries.
No, they did not. But they did start the 2 bloodiest wars in history. Those wars were of no benefit to us.
Whereas the empire has left some positive aspects on India.
What attitudes have I displayed which suggest I do not care for the poor?
That's all I'm gonna say.

Dude you are lying to yourself. YOu can say whatever you want. Museums are relevant to this tread coz you brought up poverty. Is it hard for you to connect the dots? You don;t think our historical artifacts and wealth could help alleviate poverty? Don;t you pay for a ticket when you enter an Museum? Museums in most places get artifacts on LOAN from other countries? Got that? Nevermind that it would psychologically go a long way to help indians rediscover their roots, their accomplishments and give them the belief that they can accomplish it again if they work hard?

Who exactly helped the british turn the tide of both those bloody wars you mention? Indians. Many of them.

Could you explain which or what positive influences, the British left in India?

So the British were really worried about the poor natives who lived in Diego Garcia when you kicked them out? Plz, you wanna talk about poverty, then expect an answer that encompasses all the causes and problems associated with it. Its not as clear cut and narrow as you may wish it is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom