What's new

Featured INDIA’S INDIGENOUS 100 KM RANGE ASTRA AIR-TO-AIR MISSILE TO BE TESTED FROM TEJAS; DRDO MAY BEGIN TESTING 160 KM RANGE MK-2 NEXT YEAR

Does saying that makes your pain less.....any ways historians and observers see it otherwise.

''On 27 May 1999, the Anza Mk-II was used by the Pakistan Army Air Defence forces to attack an Indian aircraft during the Kargil conflict with India, which shot down three Indian aircraft, one MIG-21 one MiG-27 and one Mi-17.''
Mi-17 was brought down by an American Stinger missile.
Plus our Indigenous fighter Marut once brought down your F-86 sabre.

We destroyed many of your Army’s post on Tiger Hill using our indigenous Sudarshan laser guided bomb, we wiped out many posts of Pak army in Kargil using our own Indigenous Pinaka MBRLS.

and atleast these were not knock-offs.

Mi-17 was brought down by an American Stinger missile.

We destroyed many of your Army’s post on Tiger Hill using our indigenous Sudarshan laser guided bomb, we wiped out many posts of Pak army in Kargil using our own Indigenous Pinaka MBRLS.

and atleast these were not knock-offs.
If you had a brain you would be dangerous.....Maurat was never encountered in aircombat.
I guess shooting down your own Mi-17 last year is also a big achievement for you....at least you scored a kill.
Rest of your rant is not worth replying because your own media reports that Pakistan still occupies six peaks in Kargil.

If you had a brain you would be dangerous.....Maurat was never encountered in aircombat.
I guess shooting down your own Mi-17 last year is also a big achievement for you....at least you scored a kill.
Rest of your rant is not worth replying because your own media reports that Pakistan still occupies six peaks in Kargil.

Marut shot down a sabre, and thats a fact, denial won’t help.

INDIA’S INDIGENOUS 100 KM RANGE ASTRA AIR-TO-AIR MISSILE TO BE TESTED FROM TEJAS; DRDO MAY BEGIN TESTING 160 KM RANGE MK-2 NEXT YEAR

View attachment 690376

Astra_Air_To_Air_Ballistic_Missile.jpg

Astra air combat missile to be soon tested from TEJAS fighter: The all-weather day and night capable Astra, which currently has a strike range of around 100-km, will eventually replace the expensive Russian, French and Israeli BVRAAMs that are currently imported to arm IAF fighters

NEW DELHI: India’s first indigenous air-to-air missile Astra will soon be tested from the first home-grown fighter TEJAS, in yet another major step towards making the weapon the mainstay of the country’s combat fleet against hostile jets in the years ahead.

The integration of the Astra beyond visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM), which flies over four times the speed of sound at Mach 4.5, on the TEJAS and the “initial ground trials” are virtually complete now. “The flight trials of the indigenous missile on the indigenous fighter will begin within the next few months,” said a source on Thursday.

The all-weather day and night capable Astra, which currently has a strike range of around 100-km, will eventually replace the expensive Russian, French and Israeli BVRAAMs that are currently imported to arm IAF fighters.

DRDO also plans to begin testing the Mark-2 version of Astra, with a range of 160-km, in the first half of next year. Plans are concurrently underway for a 350-km range Astra Mark-3 as well, said the sources.

With the sleek Astra Mark-1 already “proven” on the Russian-origin Sukhoi Su-30MKI fighters, the Rajnath Singh-led Defence Acquisitions Council granted “acceptance of necessity” for an initial order of 288 missiles in July.

“Once the flight trials on TEJAS are completed, large-scale orders will follow,” said a source. Defence PSU Bharat Dynamics is slated to produce the missiles in bulk at a unit cost of about Rs 7.5 crore.

This comes at a time when the over Rs 37,000 crore order for 83 TEJAS Mark-1A fighter jets from defence PSU Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd is also on the verge of being approved, in what will then be the biggest-ever deal in the indigenous military aviation sector.

Air Chief Marshal R K S Bhadauria last month said the 83-TEJAS deal will be inked before the ongoing fiscal ends on March 31. IAF is currently getting deliveries, albeit slowly, of the first 40 TEJAS Mark-1 jets under two contracts worth Rs 8,802 crore inked earlier.

India may have developed intercontinental ballistic missiles like the nuclear-capable Agni-V, which can strike targets over 5,000-km away, but the technical struggle to develop Astra has taken 16 long years.

But India has now finally joined the ranks of the US, Russia, France and Israel in developing such complex BVRAAMs capable of detecting, tracking and destroying highly-agile hostile supersonic fighters packed with “counter-measures’’ at long ranges.

DRDO says Astra has “excellent” ECCM (electronic counter-counter measures) to tackle jamming by hostile aircraft, active radar terminal guidance and other features for “high single-shot kill probability” in both “head-on and tail-chase” modes. The IAF, too, has now given it a thumbs-up!
So the indigenisation of the Air assets is reaching its completion.
A good base has been established, now all we need to evolve and upgrade from this base.

The only thing 'enough' to face any threat from PLAAF or PAF or any other neighbor is peace. Remove peace and nothing will take away threats from India or China or Pakistan!

You know what I fear the most, as a Pakistani? It is an indigenous development and production environment in India for defense products. If only the Indians get their act together and start relying on themselves instead of import of technology, is there any doubt that they can actually become a major power?

When did we start relying on ourselves, to a certain extent, where conventional capacity is concerned? It was after the Pressler Amendment which took away our lifeline of US weapon systems which was a wake-up call otherwise there would have been no Thunders or Ra'ad or AlKhalid or ANZA or any other completely or partially indigenous development. An India which is either denied western technology or which itself bans import of western technology is an India which I would not want as an unfriendly neighbor!

Advanced weapons is important for peace.

About the last paragraph.
Importing of west or Russian weapons is almost done .Partial ban is already there.
Especially in aircraft segment .
Except few so called force multiplier basic necessities likefighters will be ours .In fact IAF already in only for AMCA as 5th gen.No more Russian one.
Because even though it took a lot of struggles LCA Tejas became a promising successful one.
Impressed IAF.
You know what is the price of one Astra Mk1 7.5 crore rupees.
Even the bulk production will still cost at least 4 crore rupees.
Importing such kind of weapons will at least cost 20 crore.
All those forex can save and money will be inside India.

Marut had been built after 65/71 wars and after these wars there were no wars between 2 countries so please explain how your out of this universe/vedic Marut destroyed our saber, please explain???
Marut shot down a sabre, and thats a fact, denial won’t help.
and give us the links and proofs of its and marut had been built after 65 and 71wars you're in too much troll mode
During 1965, sabre was equipped with missiles... IAF was not, but GNAt performed much better..
how many PAF F-86 saber down by your Gnat, Give us the links/sources from NEUTRAL SOURCES

Last edited:
You have to face PL-15 which have range of over 200 km
yeah yeah whatever but it doing its job well to bring down enemy jets

Yeah I know that 160 KM is good range and would be give added advantage to IAF compare to present case.

Anyhow, Need to wait for Astra 3 with range 350 KM... after 4-5 years, it will help to close gaps.

What you think Brahmos is ??? Should I show you the Russian missile it's copy of.

it is not about copy... Brahmos is joint venture as same as Jf 17 and Su 30 mki.

But problem for Pakistan what I have seen that they not done anything from scratch and always have dependency from other countries.

being from a enemy country, I am happy that Pakistan still needs to start from "0" Point when we talk about indigenous products. India has started a long back and sometimes we failed as well but we are moving to right direction and after 10 years and so we would not be needed to import fighter aircrafts from any other country (Example).

Adding - Even china import engine from Russia, I meant to say that aircraft should be home made (Design, development, test etc) and should have at least 80% indigenous components.

But Pakistan will be importing OEM products and always depended on any other country

Yeah I know that 160 KM is good range and would be give added advantage to IAF compare to present case.

Anyhow, Need to wait for Astra 3 with range 350 KM... after 4-5 years, it will help to close gaps.
And China already in testing phase of 400 km range PL-XX when your Astra-3 will be ready Chinese will reach next level

It is false information was spreaded by Musshi and team to justify his blunder.
And China already in testing phase of 400 km range PL-XX when your Astra-3 will be ready Chinese will reach next level

Agreed, the game will on...but more range means more chance for fighter aircraft to survive

it is not about copy... Brahmos is joit venture as same as Jf 17 and Su 30 mki.

But problem for Pakistan what I have seen that they not done anything from scratch and always have dependency from other countries.

being from a enemy country, I am happy that pakistan still needs to start from "0" Point when we talk about indigenous products. India has started a long back and sometimes we failed as well but we are moving to right direction and after 10 years and so we would not be needed to import fighter aircrafts from any other country (Example).

Adding - Even china import engine from Russia, I meant to say that aircraft should be home made (Design, development, test etc) and should have at least 80% indigenous components.

But Pakistan will be importing OEM products and always depended on any other country
Yeah its a copy, Russian/Soviet design, India share in only electronics and some components
Agreed, the game will on...but more range means more chance for fighter aircraft to survive
but these Missiles are not intended for fighter jets but for AWACS/ANTI TANKER and ANTI ISR roles

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom