Shahzaz ud din

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
India’s first-ever women fighter pilots gear up for solo MiG-21 flights

Rajat Pandit| TNN | Updated: Jan 23, 2018, 04:42 IST
crown.png

HIGHLIGHTS
  • Avani Chaturvedi and Bhawana Kanth are getting all set to fly the highly-demanding & ageing MiG-21 “Bisons” by themselves at their respective airbases.
  • MiG-21 “Bisons” have virtually the highest landing and take-off speed in the world at 340 kmph.
62609469.jpg

NEW DELHI: Soon, within a month or so, an Indian woman will tear into the skies on a supersonic fighter jet all alone for the first time in the country. Avani Chaturvedi, Bhawana Kanth and Mohana Singh have already scripted history by becoming the first-ever women to undergo fighter pilot training in IAF.

But the trio have only undertaken solo sorties in aircraft like the Pilatus PC-7 turboprops, Kiran and Hawk jet trainers, which are much easier to handle, during their gruelling training regime so far. Now, Avani and Bhawana, are getting all set to fly the highly-demanding & ageing MiG-21 "Bisons", which have virtually the highest landing and take-off speed in the world at 340 kmph, by themselves at their respective airbases.

"Avani is already undertaking sorties in a twin-seat MiG-21 Type 69 trainer with a qualified fighter instructor (QFI) at the Suratgarh airbase. Bhawana will follow suit at the Ambala airbase soon. Mohana, in turn, is still with Hawk advanced jet trainers at the Kalaikunda airbase...She will also be posted to an operational squadron in due course," said a senior officer.

A rookie fighter pilot usually undergoes around a dozen "dual-check" sorties, where he or she is taught basic flying techniques, handling, take-off and landing, before being deemed fit for solo sorties by the QFIs. But flying jets solo does not mean they promptly turn into full-fledged fighter pilots, capable of handling the intricacies of high-voltage combat flying.

After "consolidating their general handling" of MiG-21s in solo sorties, the women pilots will graduate to tactical flying and manoeuvres. This, in turn, will be followed by training in air-to-air and air-to-ground combat. Once they become "fully ops (operational) by day" on the MiG-21s, the night-flying will kick-off first in the "moon phase" and then in the "dark phase" subsequently.

"A fighter pilot is declared 'fully ops' only after successfully undergoing this entire process, which takes upwards of a year," said another officer. Avani, Bhawana and Mohana, who were commissioned as flying officers into the fighter stream after basic training in June 2016, have punched a huge hole in the long-standing combat-exclusion policy for women in the Indian armed forces.

Well in this regard india is definitely behind pakistan.We allowed to women to fly a long time ago.

Indian mistreatment of women continues as India make its female pilots fly in a coffin.

This is cruelty at best, why would they teach the women on planes which are known as coffins. Mig 29 or Su 30s are the way to go.
All pilots go through a mig 21 squadron before going into any other fighters. I think PAF pilots do the same with f7's.
Both of these aircraft are the hardest to fly and have the least favourable track record when it comes to safety in their respective air forces.
Nothing new here.

All pilots go through a mig 21 squadron before going into any other fighters. I think PAF pilots do the same with f7's.
Both of these aircraft are the hardest to fly and have the least favourable track record when it comes to safety in their respective air forces.
Nothing new here.
It is a very stable platform to fly....easy to handle.

To think that many pilots soon will or
can already go from PC-21 to fast jets [ or fat jet if = F-35 ].

But as each country has those around,
it makes sense to teach the kids with
the hard knocks old school stuff despite
the danger.

Heck, they're not signing up for a desk
based pencil pushing job in the first place?

But the joke was evident and if Gufi hadn't
obliged, I and others would have ...

Still, congrats to the ladies for breaking that
first ceiling limit in any case :tup:

Great day all, Tay.

Last edited:
I am against women allowed in any combat role in principle.

I am against women allowed in any combat role in principle.

Actually me too pretty much but since
it is allowed, hail the winners anyway.

They earned those wings as guys would
have and likely some guys didn't so ...

Good day mate, Tay.

That trend needs to change on both sides. The soldiers are already risking their lives in war times, why not give them planes that make life easier.
But the joke was evident and Gufi hadn't
obliged, I and others would have ...
Joking here leads to people bashing you on the head with their holier then thou opinions.

That trend needs to change on both sides. The soldiers are already risking their lives in war times, why not give them planes that make life easier.

Joking here leads to people bashing you on the head with their holier then thou opinions.
True.
Don't know why they keep doing that.
After all these young pilots are more prone to make more mistakes.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom