What's new

Indians arrested for Facebook post on Mumbai shutdown

Sentiments!!! non-sense... Being a Indian she has the right to write or feel the way she wants to..

Outrageous. Just outrageous. However, everyone has to realize one thing - this arrest was blatantly illegal, and was unconstitutional, and never has such an incident happened before - and is unlikely to happen again, with the coverage this case is getting. To demonstrate to members of other nationalities that this is a one off and unconstitutional act by the Mumbai police, and the "hurting religious sentiment" law does not apply, I am repeating the words of the girl verbatim. If I'm still posting on this website in a few days' time, you can rest assured that I haven't been arrested.

Quote:
"People like Thackeray are born and die daily and one should not observe a 'bandh' [shutdown] for that."

So to anybody who is here to score brownie points against India by taunting its democratic institutions - no, Indians have a lot more freedom than most other nationalities in the region, and this was a violation of law by local shiv sainiks and the local cops. Abuse of authority happens in all places in the world, and this is one such unfortunate incident. I request other Indians (or others) to repost her post, to show the authorities what "Streissand effect" means. And to show that we support freedom of speech - if you do, that is. And yes, I am posting this from India, not the US.

i am not jumping to conclusions, i am saying that what happened was wrong, and my views would not change if it had happened here in Pakistan, people have right to express their feelings about democratically elected personal or political parties.

What does those cartoons have to do with this scenario? you are comparing religious topic with a political and law topic here, to answer you,

1. We are Islamic republic and as per our law a non muslim cannot be rule of the country, but that does not means that minorities are not represented in assembly. Our democracy is in its immature state which is striving to get mature, You on the other hand claim to be advocates of democracy. I do understand that you have mentioned that you moved to USA at very early age and consider yourself to be American and your relation to India is only by virtue of birth so in my statement when i say "You" or "Your" it is refereed to India not to America.

2. i support the notion that religious figures of every religion should be given respect and should not be a subject to insult. When was the last time you have seen me or any other Pakistani on this forum supporting the notion of burning stuff or destroying? It's ironic for a person like you to say something about religious related hatred and destruction who openly supports Israel's "defending" against Ghaza.

My dear friend, we all regardless of religion, cast, race or color should be able to call spade a spade. What's wrong is wrong, end of story.

who trying a pull a fast one over.

1. your need to discriminate against people is not just limited to only having only one religion as allowed to be head , even so- you have written in your constitution laws of discriminating against which sects call themselves Muslims or how non Muslims have to pay more in taxes just for being non Muslims. Yes you are not only an immature democracy as you have acknowledged but a deeply flawed one and worse than India. to claim you are better as you did is a joke.

This claim that Pakistan was created to be such that head of state is Muslim is false. While addressing Australian and later American delegations in February 1948, Jinnah clearly stated:
“Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state, to be ruled by priests with a divine mission.”

2. the reaction to cartoons again is not just about incitement- it is again inherently written into your laws aka blasphemy laws.

3. As of April 2012, Pakistan did not provide a legal system for registration of marriages for certain minorities including Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains etc.

4. My Gaza stance have nil to do with Muslims and more about pure terrorism

claiming you a better democracy is willful suspension of belief

I never claimed to say that Pakistan had better democracy, infact if you bother to read my post it said

"never thought would say this but atleast in some way we are more democratic than India"

and if you can't understand that statement than it was followed by an example to explain the context which was

"If you account for all the comments, pictures, cartoons, comments, posts published on social media on Rehman Malik or Zardari or any other political or religious personality than more than 70% of our population would be arrested by now."

which refers to freedom of speech on internet, which by the way was and is the topic of this thread ... lets stick to this thread shall we?

Guys-cool it, this is all just a storm in a tea cup. Such incidents happen all over the world even in "devloped" nations. Yes this is an unfortunate incident but it is a one-off. And I am sure those in the wrong will be dealt with by the brass. This girl isn't going to jail or anything-I bet she is out and living her life, so should we.

Guys-cool it, this is all just a storm in a tea cup. Such incidents happen all over the world even in "devloped" nations. Yes this is an unfortunate incident but it is a one-off. And I am sure those in the wrong will be dealt with by the brass. This girl isn't going to jail or anything-I bet she is out and living her life, so should we.

Unfortunately the girls did go to jail. Only for two hours, but that was two hours too many.

But it is a one off incident, and the policemen who arrested her, and the magistrate who wrote the warrant will all soon find themselves in hot water. The DGP has already begun an inquiry into the incident, and the findings will be made available in 2-3 days, as he said on TV.

Unfortunately the girls did go to jail. Only for two hours, but that was two hours too many.

But it is a one off incident, and the policemen who arrested her, and the magistrate who wrote the warrant will all soon find themselves in hot water. The DGP has already begun an inquiry into the incident, and the findings will be made available in 2-3 days, as he said on TV.

Sorry I meant "prison"! And yes, those involved in this incident have a lot of $h!t coming thier way! The courts are going to rip them apart- if the MPS doesn't first.

The policemen who arrested her should face disciplinary action.

They will not only face disciplinary action, but will also have cases filed against them for wrongful confinement. They will find themselves behind bars for a lot longer than they put the girls.

They will not only face disciplinary action, but will also have cases filed against them for wrongful confinement. They will find themselves behind bars for a lot longer than they put the girls.

Source?

Thats very good news if true...

yeah....and still US put a bounty to gather evidence against him..... so what does that tell us ;)

It tells us that along with India and UN , now US also agrees that he is a terrorist.

Indian who support this hideous act are trying to change topic to Hafiz saeed....Nothing new... After all they are also scared that they will get beaten if they'll speak against the mighty shiv sena...

Every single Indian in this thread has condemned the incidents.

Shiv Sena as a party has influence only in Maharashtra.

The only ones showing hypocrisy here are the pakistanis who has no shame in openly supporting a international declared terrorist.

The girl is muslim. Her police detention calm nerves and of course helped her safety.

I never claimed to say that Pakistan had better democracy, infact if you bother to read my post it said

"never thought would say this but atleast in some way we are more democratic than India"

and if you can't understand that statement than it was followed by an example to explain the context which was

"If you account for all the comments, pictures, cartoons, comments, posts published on social media on Rehman Malik or Zardari or any other political or religious personality than more than 70% of our population would be arrested by now."

which refers to freedom of speech on internet, which by the way was and is the topic of this thread ... lets stick to this thread shall we?

religious personality ! right ! you people lock mentally challenged kids for allegedly defaming ISLAM in ur democracy . must be very proud .

Back
Top Bottom