What's new

Indians arrested for Facebook post on Mumbai shutdown

datalibdaz

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
MUMBAI: Indian police said Monday they had arrested a woman for criticising on Facebook the total shutdown of Mumbai after the death of politician Bal Thackeray, as well as a friend who “liked” the comment.

The pair were due to appear in court later in the day charged under the Indian Penal Code and the Information Technology Act, said Police Inspector Shrikant Pingle in the town of Palghar north of Mumbai.

“The two women will be produced in a local court later this afternoon. They are being charged for hurting religious sentiments,” he told AFP.

They were arrested on Sunday, when a huge funeral procession attended by hundreds of thousands of supporters was held in Mumbai for Thackeray, the divisive founder of the rightwing Shiv Sena party.

News of his death on Saturday afternoon brought the city to a virtual standstill for the weekend, with businesses shutting and taxis going off the roads, amid fears of violence by Thackeray’s supporters.

While his followers mourned, others were angered at the hold Shiv Sena exerted over India’s financial capital. The 21-year-old arrested for her Facebook post was among many who aired opinions on social networking sites.

“Her comment said people like Thackeray are born and die daily and one should not observe a ‘bandh’ (city shutdown) for that,” Police Inspector Uttam Sonawane told the Mumbai Mirror.

Despite widespread concerns, there were no reports of unrest in Mumbai itself on the day of the funeral of Thackeray, one of India’s most polarising party leaders who was widely accused of stoking ethnic and religious violence.

India in recent months has shown sensitivity to criticism of its politicians, sparking criticism in turn from freedom of speech campaigners.

In September campaigners were outraged by the arrest in Mumbai on charges of sedition of a cartoonist for his anti-corruption drawings.

The charges were later dropped.

Indians arrested for Facebook post on Mumbai shutdown | DAWN.COM

If this news is true than its a big shame that they been arrested.... However her comment was not good.... Bal thackeray always worked for Maharashtra state.... When terrorist attacked amarnath yatra than bal thackeray warned by saying how about we reply by attacking haj yatra? Since than no attack happened on amarnath yatra.... He warned to keep peace and it worked.... He warned many times to pakistan but never attacked them inside pak.... To bihari people they used slap and sticks but never bullets.... Javed miadad once met him and said to world bal thackeray good human and we should meet him to know him.... Bal thackeray worked for multi million maharashtra people and he was truely a lion.... However i do thing mumbai should not be closed.... Many people depends on it.... But people who are ok with bandh should follow it.... Btw shivsena never called bandh.... Its the goverment.... Shivsena told whole sellers to keep open shops and not close them.... Btw someone here said shivsena is bhakt of lord shiva.... No they not. Shivsena name came after Shivaji maharaaj. Shiv means shivaji and sena means army.... Army of king shivaji maharaaj....

If this news is true than its a big shame that they been arrested.... However her comment was not good.... Bal thackeray always worked for Maharashtra state.... When terrorist attacked amarnath yatra than bal thackeray warned by saying how about we reply by attacking haj yatra? Since than no attack happened on amarnath yatra.... He warned to keep peace and it worked.... He warned many times to pakistan but never attacked them inside pak.... To bihari people they used slap and sticks but never bullets.... Javed miadad once met him and said to world bal thackeray good human and we should meet him to know him.... Bal thackeray worked for multi million maharashtra people and he was truely a lion.... However i do thing mumbai should not be closed.... Many people depends on it.... But people who are ok with bandh should follow it.... Btw shivsena never called bandh.... Its the goverment.... Shivsena told whole sellers to keep open shops and not close them.... Btw someone here said shivsena is bhakt of lord shiva.... No they not. Shivsena name came after Shivaji maharaaj. Shiv means shivaji and sena means army.... Army of king shivaji maharaaj....

Its not era of raja mahrajas where the subjects are subjected to such actions. The young girl dint like shutting down entire mumbai which is not a bad comment

@Andromache i agree with you and you can read in my post i did objected her arrest.... However she wasnt arrested for commenting on mumbai bandh.... She was arrested for commenting on death of late bal thackeray.... She said people like bal thackeray born and dies everyday.... As far as i know he the only one who worked for maharashtra.... So her comments wasnt good specialy to people who worship bal thackeray.... To many maharashtian people he was similar to Dr. Ambedkar.... Would she say same thing about Dr. Ambedkar?.... Both of them worked for Marathi people.... If police had not arrested her than many more would had said same thing and than there was chance of riots and action against Facebook.... So to maintaned peace they arrested her. If she not had commented on death and just commented on mumbai bandh than yes it would had been shame on police.... Btw some people here on PDF (indians) saying worse.... So may be they should rethink before its too late.... i heard internet searching going on.... If they find PDF threads than am sure it might get blocked and they might search the indians who spoke about death of bal thackeray (in bad taste)....

Last edited by a moderator:
@Andromache i agree with you and you can read in my post i did objected her arrest.... However she wasnt arrested for commenting on mumbai bandh.... She was arrested for commenting on death of late bal thackeray.... She said people like bal thackeray born and dies everyday.... As far as i know he the only one who worked for maharashtra.... So her comments wasnt good specialy to people who worship bal thackeray.... To many maharashtian people he was similar to Dr. Ambedkar.... Would she say same thing about Dr. Ambedkar?.... Both of them worked for Marathi people.... If police had not arrested her than many more would had said same thing and than there was chance of riots and action against Facebook.... So to maintaned peace they arrested her. If she not had commented on death and just commented on mumbai bandh than yes it would had been shame on police.... Btw some people here on PDF (indians) saying worse.... So may be they should rethink before its too late.... i heard internet searching going on.... If they find PDF threads than am sure it might get blocked and they might search the indians who spoke about death of bal thackeray (in bad taste)....

Its a general comment. not anything bad or specific against his death

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom