What's new

Indian Tech to increase Missile Range by a Third:with citation

U know my bro got the call letter from IISC to pursue higher studies. But he neglected that to join in IIT !!!
Not many can survive IISc. Even for PhD, it may take more than 5 to 6 years. They spank you hard in your defense. After 3 years, you may be asked to restart your research. :D

IITM is a good place for research. Recently a new scheme is launched to provide PM scholarship to PG students which gives 50,000/- Rs per month.

My junior got AIR-8 in GATE. He took IIT M for M.Tech.
Another just completed it and got placement of 15 Lakhs from IIT M.

I have no clue what you folks are talking about but all i care is...missile range could increase :yahoo: :victory:

That's a lil' exaggerated figure, much of the heat is due to friction with the atmosphere

Small correction - the heat is NOT due to friction but generated when the air is compressed in front of the re-entry vehicle.

Maybe India just discovered something that US did 40 years ago. So its not a big deal according to the Indian scientist.

Are we going to get a Nobel prize for this? Of course not! But is this going to massively increase the lethality & effectiveness of our missile arsenal? Of course Yes!

So it IS kind of a big deal.:partay:

Small correction - the heat is NOT due to friction but generated when the air is compressed in front of the re-entry vehicle.

Are we going to get a Nobel prize for this? Of course not! But is this going to massively increase the lethality & effectiveness of our missile arsenal? Of course Yes!

So it IS kind of a big deal.:partay:

Obviously.

This tech is very important, considering the fact that our ICBM must not weigh above 50 tons(50 tons+ BMs cant be canisterd.)

Not many can survive IISc. Even for PhD, it may take more than 5 to 6 years. They spank you hard in your defense. After 3 years, you may be asked to restart your research.

Still I think that in India the R&D in the institutes are not world class. During my PhD my group was collaborating with IISc and IITD and we had the head of the RF group from IITD stayed in UK with us for summer and we were working for AESA radar for DRDO. I was not very impressed by the way research is done in these institutes. The emphasis we give in India is more academic brilliance and this doesn't tell anything about the research aptitude of the person. I can score 90% in MTech and topper in GATE/NET, there is no guarantee that will make me world class researcher.

Few days back I was looking for the entry criteria for the scientist post in DRDO and when I read the eligibility I was not at all surprised by the outcome DRDO gives. They ask for first class degree, GATE/NET and also the age limit, but there was no mention that if you have proven research track record then they will also be considered.

If someone has say IEEE transactions/journals and patents in the relevant field, why to bother about the academic credentials that upto 10th class? We have to change the way how we do R&D in India.

@trident2010 Exactly. This is what my professor told me while doing MS by research. He said you can publish many articles in conferences and normal journals which are not well known but that will not help you that much. If you want to work in good Research lab or university in US, publish few papers but in good international journals with high impact factor.

People in India go by quantity, not by quality.That's why I like GRE and LOR, SOP system of US universities.

Last edited by a moderator:
@trident2010 People in India go by quantity, not by quality.

Even more funnier thing is I get sometimes review the papers from Indian journals and believe me they don't even format the paper, figures are so poor quality and most of them are from IIT, IISc and PSU's written by scientists and Phd students who suppose to be the cream of nation.

It shows the mind set and work culture , if supervisor is saying yes to submit such a low quality paper we can understand the level of output we will get.

Makes me sad really !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Even more funnier thing is I get sometimes review the papers from Indian journals and believe me they don't even format the paper, figures are so poor quality and most of them are from IIT, IISc and PSU's written by scientists and Phd students who suppose to be the cream of nation. It shows the mind set and work culture , if supervisor is saying yes to submit such a low quality paper we can understand the level of output we will get.
Makes me sad really !!
Well I was lucky in that sense. My prof. used to check paper over and over again, re-edit it and so many checking, it was frustrating sometimes but it really helped when I released why it was important. Even when I did calculations, he used to check it by solving himself and also ask someone else to do so too as his name is being used and he doesn't want to make any mistake in mathematical part.

He told me if you make one horrendous mistake, it sticks by you and the next time you send a paper to same journal, they may not give that importance. He even rejected his own student's paper which he got accidentally for review and bashed him in front of me for his mistakes and overlooking the wrong analysis. I was 24 at that time and his student was over 50. :D

He also told how difficult these Indian researchers make for good Indian researchers as they send bad quality paper and good researchers also suffer due to it. I have seen people working like machine and sending to Indian journals, Italian, Iranian etc, journals which no one reads or take seriously. The reviewers are as bad as authors and their journal never gets famous.

There was a director of IISc who addressed the same issue and asked good Indian researchers to launch a good journal and invite foreign reviewers and editorial board and publish only good papers. This is where US and UK are so ahead. All their journals are so high quality that they get the added advantage of all the best minds around the world submitting their work to them.

This thing can be use on bullets?
I don't know what i'm talking about but surely we can extend the range of a small gun e.g MSMC by just changing its magazine. :P :what:

PS : i mean an alternative of multi caliber gun.
Imagine a soldier carrying two type of ammo coated bullets for long range and uncoated/regular bullets for short range.

I don't know what i'm talking about but surely we can extend the range of a small gun e.g MSMC by just changing its magazine. :P :what:

Imagine a soldier carrying two type of ammo coated bullets for long range and uncoated/regular bullets for short range.

interesting idea

Guess it will be too expensive to coat every bullet with Chromium.

While we're at it why don't we add some fuel at the backend of the shell, ala rocket/missile style, & give a real boost to their range :sniper:
I'll have to patent this idea first before someone else tries to steal it :big_boss:

While we're at it why don't we add some fuel at the backend of the shell, ala rocket/missile style, & give a real boost to their range :sniper:
I'll have to patent this idea first before someone else tries to steal it :big_boss:

well, rocket gun is a very old idea.

Back
Top Bottom