What's new

Indian tanks: a behind the curtain analysis

Also try following the pattern of 1tank per post.u write 2 sentences max per post 4 a tank.This way it willl be easier 4 the members to get info instead of browsing the whole thread.

the main problem posed by arjun is of logistics. The 60+ ton weight of arjun has entered a new dimension. Most of the IA logistical solutions dont support such
A heavy tank. IA is slowly and
Steadily introducing improved
logistical solution to help the
Transport of heavier tanks.
This will help IA in future.

In this public domain members come out with allegations against Paksitan army but you never bothered!!!
Why it hurts you if some mentioned that indian army took money?
It is no secret and their civil govt. has blamed that superior Arjun failed because indian army deliberately messed with its gear box and engine.

I said what i said because the poster claims firsthand knowledge. I know nothing of these tanks. I simply smelled a rat is all. I started out in the 2REP , i know "anti tank" nothing about tanks i'm afraid.

Didnt know this existed..

znsp34.jpg

What an irony!!. IA thought they dont need light tank. Now they are going for import if I am not wrong to deploy them in northeast. The homegrown product is their, tried and tested.:drag: but some bad eggs in the IA:hitwall:

the main problem posed by arjun is of logistics. The 60+ ton weight of arjun has entered a new dimension. Most of the IA logistical solutions dont support such

No!!!!!! the main problem is that it doesnt come with kickbacks (GARAM GARAM HARI Patti).:cry:.

Some info about DRDO light tank
bmp-t_p-106.jpg

An expenditure of Rs 26.79 lakh was incurred in modifying BMP (BOEVYA MACHINA PEKHOTA) vehicle as Light Tank with 90 mm turret, without properly assessing availability of BMP chassis for production. It was also stated that the expenditure being incurred on development of Light Tank with 105 mm turret would also prove infructuous as the Army did not have any requirement for the Light Tank either with 90mm or 105mm turret. Despite this DRDO continued with the project for another seven years and closed it in August 1996 after successful trails, incurring a total expenditure of Rs 4.53 crore.

Based on a GSQR projected by the Army in 1976, a project for ‘Design and Development of Light Tank on BMP-I’ was sanctioned in 1983 at an estimated cost of Rs 2.54 crore. In July 1985, the Army reassessed their requirement and held that no light tank on BMP was necessary. Nevertheless, the development of light tank continued. Furthermore, notwithstanding their earlier stand, the Army continued to be associated with the project. Based on suggestions of Army authorities, in October 1988, CVRDE (Combat Vehicle Research and development Establishment) amended the contract agreement, replacing 90mm turrets with 105mm turrets.

In April 1992, the project was transferred to VRDE, Ahmednagar from CVRDE. In May 1993, eight years after they had first so stated, the Army categorically reiterated that there was no requirement for light tank. In spite of SA to RM (Scientific advisor to Raksha Mantri) also recommending closure of the project in February 1994, the Establishment went ahead with firing trials for another two years. Finally, in August 1996, 10 years after the original PDC (Probable date of completion) and having incurred an expenditure of Rs 4.53 crore including foreign exchange of Rs 2.91 crore, the project was closed.

R&D HQ stated in November 2000 that cancellation of the contract for 105 mm turret was found not economical and hence the project was continued to take it to a logical conclusion. However the fact remained that R&D efforts and money was spent on an equipment the need for which had ceased to exist.

In October 1999, the Indian Army has put out a request for information (RFI) issued to prospective vendors for the requirement of about 200 wheeled light tanks (armoured cars) and about 100 tracked light tanks. This have brightened the prospects of the light tank project to achieve a limited production.

Damn it, I wish India inducted and upgrade that light tank further.
There is a project going on. Its a JV between India-Poland (OBRUM BEML JV).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

czolg.jpg

anders4.jpg

anders5.jpg

IA has now a requirement of at-least 300 light tanks, which can be quickly deployed through air.

There's no such problem. Earlier there used to be such problem but it was resolved by 2009. There were separate rack developed for arjun. Funny thing is even after these developments and successful testing of these things senior IA officials raised this issue. Now either they didn't had any knowledge of this development or they thought people don't know about anything and they can say anything.

@angeldemon_007
will it a be a JV or are we going to induct if off the shelve?
Any link on the JV part will be useful.

Back
Top Bottom