What's new

Indian strategic thinking and Pakistan.

Sir,

I was only replying to your doubts on whether the IBGs can fight better than before or not and what difference it can make in the battlefield than before.

I have never said that we can win easily or can fight 2 front wars easily but i believe we are taking the required steps necessary for safe guarding our interests in the future.

I am puzzled. Why are you being apologetic? Your input was very good. My response was - if you remember what I wrote at the beginning of the post - skeptical towards ourselves, optimistic towards the opposition.

Please continue. Speaking for myself, I appreciate the wealth of information in your posts.

Sir,

I was only replying to your doubts on whether the IBGs can fight better than before or not and what difference it can make in the battlefield than before.

I have never said that we can win easily or can fight 2 front wars easily but i believe we are taking the required steps necessary for safe guarding our interests in the future.

Sir,
If one assesses its improvements in a vacuum, without comparing and analysing the advancements made by the adversaries, the chances are that overestimation of one's capabilities may be the result. And an objective analysis can only be achieved by pitching one's advancements and improvements against those of the adversaries.

The discussion has been floating between the necessity of peace in India and Pakistan imbroglio, the use of democracy and enhancing people to people contacts, to civilizational conflict between the two, to outright defeat of Pakistan and denying victory to China due to India’s acquisition of superior and hi-tech weaponry and air-left capability etc etc. Very interesting indeed.

Indian Army Chief says (video clip posted above), we are looking at an Army which is, more lethal, more agile, technologically superior and can work in a totally network centric environment with all the services. The reporter says, it is driven by the need of totally asymmetric and hybrid wars, having enormous advantages in communication and surveillance technologies and downloading real-time imageries from an Indian satellite passing overhead.

Some posters talk about IN superiority and that it can effect a naval blockade of Pakistan. The most interesting is that Indian Army is practising excercises with small battle groups which have access to real time SAT imagery.

Let me put across my point of view, not on all the aspects discussed but some of these. I will attempt to give my thoughts on remaining aspects in later posts, if I can.

Firstly, in my opinion we have to discuss the future Indo-Pak war within the ambit of nuclear environment. We can not separate the conventional and nuclear capabilities and arrive at logical conclusions. Emotions aside, we need to awaken ourselves to this fact, that these are two nuclear armed neighbours.

The conclusion of Indian civil and military hierarchy that space for a limited conventional war still exists, needs to be re-evaluated. The warfare between the two has drastically changed with nuclear advent. Irrespective of the fact that whether Pakistan uses tactical nuclear weapons or indulge in tactical use of nuclear weapons, any future war limited or otherwise, between India and Pakistan would not be free of nuclear factor. Many may disagree with me. However, Pakistan’s clear signal, of testing the short range nuclear capable missile, need to be taken into serious context. It is not the missile testing but the reason behind this test which is more important.

In the same context, stating that a superior Indian Navy may affect a naval blockade of Pakistan and would not expect a nuclear response from Pakistan, may be a serious flaw in thinking. An article posted by Jinx1 in another thread needs to be read. Read only the types of nuclear thresholds the author highlights, and you may ignore some of his biases.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/strate...g-pakistan-s-nuclear-thresholds-analysis.html

Secondly, I agree with what the Indian Army Chiefs states above, however I would like to dwell on one aspect here. He says, we are looking to work in a totally network centric environment with all the services. It may be a very very long term goal indeed.

Currently, only the US Military can claim to a great extent, that they can work in a totally network centric environment. There is no other country in the world which can claim the same thing. Some of the NATO countries, instead of claiming to be network centric, because they are not capable of, use the terminology of network enabled warfare. Total network centricity is indeed a very tall order. And in my opinion, and many US defence analysts agree to this fact that, even the US Military is not totally network centric at this moment.

Let me briefly highlight why!
Predator UAVs have a 200 Kbps outbound channel for command and control and a 3.2 Mbps return channel for data dissemination. The power equivalent bandwidth on the satellite necessary to support such a configuration is about 10 MHz. The Global Hawk UAV, with operational data rates of up to 50 Mbps in the return channel, requires a full satellite transponder or more to support such a data rate.

The evolution of UASs and sensors means they will demand increasing amounts of bandwidth over time. A Predator currently has a primary 3.2-megabit (Mbps) return, but that will increase to 6.4 Mbps and over the next few years, planners expect it to increase further to 16 Mbps and eventually to 45 Mbps by fiscal year 2015. Global Hawks can operate at data rates of up to 50 Mbps today, but they too will dramatically increase their requirements over time, eventually reaching 274 Mbps.

This even today forces the US to hire civilian satellites for provision of connectivity as their Military satellites can not support it.

So when some here talk about a tank commander receiving real-time satellite imagery in his tank, needs to seriously understand this schmuck. The CO of an advancing US armour regiment in Iraq, explained to a congressional hearing that he had to halt and wait for almost 2-3 hours to download the updated battle plan. Can you imagine this happening to a US tank regiment CO.

We need to understand the difference between a network in our offices and a network out in the field. Wishful thinking doesn’t solve the problems and result in being surprised. And when the Indian Army Chief talks about superior technology, he also means understanding the technology and therefore knowing where and how it can be employed.

More later please.

So according to you just because initialy there is a problem with a technology it must be aborted..or wait we must not even try to be network centric coz only the great USA can think about it.

Being network centric will provide us an advantage over our adversaries.Its a force multiplier..if its not working due to some technical problem then you can always go and fight the way your enemies are fighting.

I hope you know that all 3 of our defence forces will have a "dedicated satellite".

The AF already has AFNET and heres what the Army is going to achieve in "not so long future"

The Corps of Signals aims to make the Indian army a network-enabled force by 2012 and network centric force by 2017. The vision of the Corps is 'to achieve electronic and information superiority for effective functioning of the Indian Army'. The responsibilities include setting up a converged, robust, broadband and secure IT infrastructure, both at peace and operational locations of the Indian Army.

Indian army prepares for a digitised battlefield

The IAF today got a boost towards becoming a truly network centric air force with Defence Minister A K Antony launching Air Force Network (AFNET), a reliable and robust digital information grid that enables accurate and faster response to enemy threats.

The modern, state-of-the-art AFNET is a fully secure communication network, providing IAF critical link among its command and control centre, sensors such as the Airborne Early Warning and Control Systems and shooters like the fighter jets and missile squadrons.

With the launch of AFNET, IAF became the first among the three services to complete interlinking major installations throughout the country on a high bandwidth network.

Describing the AFNET operationalisation as a "momentous occasion", Antony said the aim of network spectrum policy of the government was two-fold - growth of teledensity and modernisation of the defence forces' communication systems.

He said the network centric operations' key capabilities were three-fold - adaptability, availability and inter-operability.

Antony said he was waiting for the day when the Navy and the Army too would launch their networked communication systems thereby acquiring network centric warfare capabilities.

The AFNET will now replace the IAF's old communication network set-up using the tropo-scatter technology of the 1950s and marks the successful clearance of one milestone for release of radio spectrum, a very valuable but finite resource.

IAF Chief Air Chief Marshal P V Naik said the launch of AFNET was "definitely a historic moment for IAF" as it entered the digital information grid and a "giant stride" towards attaining network centric warfare capability and "an apt indicator" of that capability.

He said the IAF had a compelling need to consistently strive for an information advantage enabled by a robust networking of decision makers, weapon systems and sensors.

"We need to leverage the advantages of networks by translating the information advantage into a decisive fighting tool. AFNET is a potent force multiplier and critical for becoming a network centric aerospace force," he added.

The IAF project is part of the overall mission to network all three services. The mission comes in the backdrop of an Information Technology Roadmap document of the Defence Ministry stipulating automation, simulated training and mandatory computer proficiency in the services.

Telecommunications Minister A Raja, in his address, said robust communication was critical for synergy among forces and for success in future operations.

He said spectrum was an essential component for growth of wireless and mobile telecommunication systems.

"As the country rode a wave of communication revolution, the frequency spectrum is becoming a scarce natural resource and therefore it became imperative to utilise the spectrum in the most efficient manner," Raja said, adding India had to move forward towards 100 per cent teledensity mark.

He said the launch of AFNET would enable the armed forces to release spectrum permanently for the growth of commercial mobile services.

IAF has taken up a mandate to create and maintain an assured, dedicated, secure and inter-operable communication network along with associated services to provide real time, instantaneous transfer of information between Sensors, Command and Control (C2) centres and Shooters.

In addition, IAF aspires to use communication network and IT-enabled infrastructure for all other operational, techno-logistics and administrative functions to leverage development in this field to enhance efficiency, cost-effectiveness and ease of administration, it said.

All major formations and static establishments had been linked through a secure Wide Area Network (WAN) and were accessible through data communication lines.

The nationwide programme was launched by the IAF in collaboration with the private industry to accelerate the use of Information Technology (IT) as well as to link all field units using a dedicated satellite.

AFNET incorporates the latest traffic transportation technology in form of IP (Internet Protocol) packets over the network using Multi Protocol Label Switching (MPLS). A large VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) layer with stringent quality of service enforcement will facilitate robust, high quality voice, video and conferencing solutions.

The Integrated Air Command and Control System (IACCS), an automated command and control system for Air Defence (AD) operations, will ride the AFNET backbone integrating all ground-based and airborne sensors, AD weapon systems and C2 nodes.

Subsequent integration with other services networks and civil radars would provide an integrated Air Situation Picture to operators to carry out AD role.

AFNET will be an effective force multiplier for intelligence analysis, mission planning and control, post-mission feedback and related activities like maintenance, logistics and administration, the spokesperson said.

A comprehensive design with multi-layer security precautions for 'Defence in Depth' have been planned by incorporating encryption technologies, Intrusion Prevention Systems to ensure the resistance of the IT system against information manipulation and eavesdropping.

The AFNET project was ably supported by BSNL, HCL Infosystems and CISCO. HCL's chairman Ajay Chaudhary and CISCO's country head Naresh Wadhwa were also present on the occasion.

At the AFNET launch, the IAF showcased a practice interception of simulated enemy targets by a pair of Mig-29 fighter aircraft airborne from an advanced airbase in the Punjab sector using the gigabyte digital information grid.

During the AFNET-assisted operations, the Indian fighter jets neutralised intruding targets in the western sector, which was played out live on the giant screens at the Air Force auditorium offering a glimpse of the harnessed potential of the system.

The final orders for engaging the enemy targets were issued live by Antony, whose queries about how the operation went was responded to by the pilot as "excellent".

Further, various other functionalities contributing towards Network Centric Warfare were also showcased.

These consisted of facilitating video from Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), pictures from an AWACS aircraft to the decision-makers on ground sitting hundreds of kilometers away, providing intelligence inputs from far-flung areas at central locations seamlessly. This was possible mainly with the robust networking platform provided by AFNET.

AFNET project, with an estimated expenditure of Rs 1,077 crore, comprised Internet Protocol (IP) Multi Protocol Switching Protocol (MPLS) based Network with Optic Fibre Cables (OFC) as backbone.

The AFNET project has satellite communication network as overlay, Line Of Sight (LOS) Radio for Metro Area and difficult terrains, as a back up to OFC links. The network is secured with a host of advanced state-of-the-art encryption technologies. It is designed for high reliability with redundancy built into the network design itself.

IAF envisages using AFNET communication network and enabled IT infrastructure for all operational, techno-logistics and administrative functions to leverage developments in this field so as to enhance operational efficiency, cost-effectiveness and ease of administration.

"The recent deployments of AFNET, IACCS and other systems have put the IAF in the fore-front of Network Centric Warfare enabled nations. This quantum leap in the field of communication and information technology will help field units train and develop tactics, techniques and procedures to realise the full benefits of network-enabled capabilities," Naik said.

So in the near future by the end of this decade probably we will be looking at the Army and Navy which will be network centric and it doesnt matter to me if its complete network centric or incomplete network centric as long as it gives our men the edge over its adversaries.You know you can counter it by saying anything you like but it is clearly giving us an advantage..Having dedicated satellites is a big thing in my opinion...atleast its better than having nothing of this kind.

Now regarding the Naval blocade thing.

You were trying to say that naval blocade would result in a nuclear war..I mean are you serious?

Look man,its not that easy as you guys think.If you start the nuclear war be assured that for the rest of your life even if your nation survives you are not going to see anything prosperous happening in your country.

Why do you have to bring the N word in every scenario?

I think even if the N option is used it will be used only if the nation is going to suffer a sure defeat.Using it if a naval blocaded is enforce would be too stupid.It doesnt directly threaten you existence.

Sir,
If one assesses its improvements in a vacuum, without comparing and analysing the advancements made by the adversaries, the chances are that overestimation of one's capabilities may be the result. And an objective analysis can only be achieved by pitching one's advancements and improvements against those of the adversaries.

Dear Sir,

Kindly educate me on the things i am missing.I am all ears.

Yours is, of course, a realistic voice, urging caution, and a conservative approach: not to be underplayed in such vital and delicate matters. Taking the wrong direction could totally founder the ship of state, and I appreciate and understand where you are coming from. However, it may not be possible to continue to maintain such bloated armed forces of such average quality and capability and effetiveness indefinitely.

Our Army musters slowly, and the Pakistanis have ample time to break off whatever they are doing and report to their stations and mobilize; thereafter, the two are matched so closely in incompetence leadership above a battalion, at best a brigade, that division-level, leave alone Corps level campaigns are unlikely (1971 was an exception, and I am pessimistic about those conditions recurring). In terms of technology and doctrine, both sides have armies that date back to the Vietnam era, only with almost no worthwhile artillery on one side. Their speed of movement is about the same, and is again several decades old. It is more or less the same story for the respective Air Forces; the PAF has lost its technical edge over the IAF due to a shortage of money, but th IAF has lost its numerical edge thanks to the death-wish of the country's political classes. Only the IndianNavy has a thin edge over its rivals, and it is not much, not enough to win wars.

We can either radically re-design and re-orient the armed forces, with a smaller, far more mobile (by an order of magnitude) Army, packing far more fire power than today, tightly integrated with tactical air power on land and with a serious marine amphibious capability at sea, or we forget about resolving any problems militarily, and have to adopt your recommended clenched teeth stance.

Let us return to this choice after addressing your points.

My suggestion was not to mount loud and visible campaigns of support to the liberals; that would be the kiss of death for any section of society in Pakistan. Instead, it was to do nothing to play into the hands of the hardliners; that will not help in any foreseeable way.

There is no implication of 'doing' something for them. The point is to make a permanent and lasting peace, or to fight a decisive and defining war. Anything but this imitation of a Russian peasant determined to last through all of life's miseries.

It seems we are agreed in principle so far, but cannot find a common approach forward. Let us see. I agree with you about the muddle-headedness, but put it to you that to endure in patience is hardly guaranteed to improve this situation. That, in my humble opinion, is muddle-headedness.

Is there any guarantee that this will happen, that our increasing prosperity will set the Pakistani man in the street thinking, and bring about a radical change in the structure of that state?

Will the man in the street, and the rational elements of Pakistani society (which elements I tend to identify with the liberals and moderate servicemen and administrators) be able to counter the flood of money from Saudi Arabia and the UAE, and thwart the increasing radicalization of Pakistani society?

For that matter, will the man in the street and rational Pakistanis severe the link between the deep state and the terrorist apparatus? Even now, there is a demented person suggesting that they continue with this policy of retaining their irregulars, as being an effective part of the order of battle for them.

Leaving aside the me-too motif, which will motivate Pakistanis to seek more economic prosperity such as India's and will cause a change in heart, or the name-and-shame motif, where the increasing isolation of Pakistan will force her to introspect, if we wait for condemnation of Pakistan to increase, what should we hope for as a practical outcome?

My "cautious" approach is not as a result of being ideologically or pathologically inimical towards Pakistan & her citizens. It is simply because I'm not convinced that there is an alternate approach which has any chance of success. Doing something just for the sake of doing it risks putting the cart before the horse. It is a periodic disease that strikes many in India where the urge for kissing & hugging Pakistanis crops up a couple of years after an opposite urge of murderous rage has its time. We in India are guilty of impugning qualities in the relationship with Pakistan that arises from our hopes & wishes & then going to the other extreme when an event occurs that clearly suggests that Pakistan does not see it that way. We keep talking about betrayal, either in the case of Kargil or more recently in Mumbai. The reason for that strong feeling is not necessarily Pakistani actions themselves but a perceived failure to reciprocate our hopes. We are the ones carrying this relationship up the pedestal & then acting all surprised that it keeps getting knocked down. Pakistan has been very clear of what they want which is a resolution of Kashmir on their terms. There is no ambiguity in their position. We are the ones trying to grow that relationship towards other things like trade & people to people contacts which for the Pakistanis has always been something of secondary & limited interest. We then go ballistic every time an event happens which for many in Pakistan is only consistent with tracing that back to a resolution of Kashmir ( hence the talk of us milking 26/11 & so on). We are quite simply not on the same plane & my point is that energies expended by us is entirely wasted & non productive.

If Pakistan is not motivated to change directions towards economic prosperity, so be it. We suffer no loss because no energy of ours has been wasted. A resolution of Kashmir that would satisfy Pakistan is almost impossible for India to offer. What we need is to keep the Pakistan relationship on a containment plane while continuing to grow our own economy. Even if economic disparity does not force a rethink, the military disparity that will be created as a result will work in our favour. Waiting suits us, it is the Pakistanis for whom time is the enemy. For a status quo power like India, time is our best friend. We lose nothing if we are forced to wait simply because we seek nothing. Why then should we be in a hurry to seek that nothingness earlier?

An excellent read on India's NCW capabilities.

India is spending billions of dollars to revamp its overall military machine. In 2011-12 Indian GDP (nominal) stood at $1.676 trillion and GDP (PPP) was at $4.457 trillion. GDP growth was at 6.5% in the FY 2012 and it is expected that Indian economy will see growth up to 7.5% in the next year.

Such a huge economy allows India to allocate billions of dollars for the revitalization of its ailing military machine. As of today the Indian army has strength of about 1,129,900 active and 960,000 reserve personnel. To maintain this huge force, India is continuously increasing its defence budget. In 2012, India's military budget stood at $46.8 billion. The level of funds for defense will increase in future. According to V.K Mishra Indian military is likely to spend over $235 billion on acquisitions over the next 10 years till 2020-2021. With this massive spending, Indian military will overcome its operational deficiencies and pose a serious threat to Pakistan’s security.

Modern age is of technology and information. The numerical strength does not matter; it is the level of technological advancement and superiority that matters. It is expected that future wars would be limited, swift and quick. Only those countries will make the difference, which possesses Network Centric Warfare (NCW) and Electronic Warfare (EW) capabilities.

Indian military is planning to revamp its overall military machine in next 10 to 15 years. Modern wars are not fought on the battlefield but a commander sitting in his office decides the course of war with flawless, uninterrupted information flow and secure communication network. This is what we call NCW, in which you require a robust command and control systems, swift information gathering mechanism, multi-sensor tracking systems, satellites, battlefield surveillance and reconnaissance systems. In last few years Indian military has added all these technologies and now it is working to improve its operational preparedness, synergy and integration in the NCW environment.

NCW depends on computer processing power and networking communications technology to provide unremitting information of the battlefield to the commander. This shared information increases synergy and coordination among armed forces and their ability to fight a war in the NCW and EW environment.

Such a capability would be essential for special operations at long distances or behind the enemy lines. NCW capabilities enable a military to get information edge over its enemy forces at the battlefield. In addition to that with enhanced surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities a commander is able to deploy his forces at right place at the right time and achieve decisive victory at theatre of war.

Former Indian Army chief Gen V K Singh emphasized on the importance of NCW in future military operations. He said that “all future operations would be joint operations and that the net centric concept was not just restricted to a single arm or Service. To get the desired level of synergy, the flow of correlated and intelligent information between the three Services is essential”. Synergy and Integration is the result of effective NCW capabilities. To achieve this seamlessness and integration, Indian military carried out almost fourteen major exercises in last seven years. In these exercises Indian military introduced and practiced its latest weapon & equipment, force multipliers like LORROS, FMCP, AWACS, UAVs, Satellites, Battlefield surveillance Radars, weapon locating radars, and mechanized forces. From 2004 to 2012 Indian military has practiced its NCW capabilities in almost every exercise. NCW is a process and India is on way to achieve this capability. In next few paragraphs the study will analyse NCW capabilities in the Indian Air Force, Army and Navy.

Indian Air Force (IAF) has seen tremendous development in the recent times. Addition of latest high-tech aircraft equipped with NCW and EW capabilities from Russia and European countries would revamp overall operational capabilities of IAF.
Apart from this IAF is also developing a FIBRE Optic-based network called Air Force Network (AFNET). According to Indian Air Marshal Naik, the backbone of this entire system will be, the Integrated Air Command and Control Systems (IACCS). This system will provide the connectivity for all the airborne and ground platforms. It means now their air and ground forces will work in synergy and coordination. This system will provide IAF with complete situational awareness of the battleground and enables real-time transfer of voice, data and images among aircraft, satellites and ground bases. In this way Indian military would be able to take quick decisions in a short span of time to achieve information superiority in the combat zone. Such a system would definitely give Indian military an edge in any future conflict with Pakistan.

In addition to this IAF with the help of Israel have installed EW systems in its Mig-29 and the home-made Tejus Light Combat Aircraft, this system will enable IAF to field advanced data and voice networking over the next 10 years.

The system will enable incongruent units to share critical information, including data from the battlefield, and make for speedier decision making to achieve superiority in the theatre of war. It is expected that this system will be operational in the year 2012. To counter such threats Pakistan has to revamp its air defence capabilities. IAF has also made strides in the field of Airborne Early Warning & Control System (AEW&CS). IAF with the help of Brazil modified AEW&CS which comes in the form of a modified Embraer aircraft (EMB-145 I). IAF will get three such platforms in the next three years. The EMB-145-I will improve India’s NCW capabilities. Apart from surveillance and reconnaissance, this system can track aircraft, UAVS and detect radar signals. It has the ability to scan up to 400 km, giving the IAF recognized air situations thereby enabling battlefield management. With these systems in place, IAF would have air superiority against Pakistan. Indian army is also not lagging behind in the race to get NCW capabilities.

Indian army has made advancement in the field of NCW. Indian army developed a robust, survivable and high speed Common User Network across the country. Army Switched Communication Network, Command Inter communication Network, Army Wide Area Network and Army Radio Engineered Network have been established to provide robust Communication Networks across the length and breadth of the country. Indian army is now upgrading these systems to meet challenges in the modern age.

Indian army is working on many projects like Network for Spectrum, ASCON Phase IV, and Tactical Communication System. These systems are in progress and near to the stage of implementation. These systems will provide robust communication network system to the Indian army.

Apart from this Indian army has inducted the Artillery Combat and Control System (ACCCS) Shakti, which is the artillery component of TAC 31. ACCCS will provide Indian army an advantage in the theatre of war. With the help of this system Indian army will be able to use lethal firepower with accuracy and precision against enemy positions.

The Tactical Command, Communication and Intelligence System in the Indian Army is the first step towards NCW capabilities. This capability will allow the Indian army to acquire swift information of the battlefield, take quick decisions to achieve the element of surprise against Pakistan.

Indian army is also spending huge money on its infantry. It has already introduced a programme the Futuristic Infantry Solider as a System (F-INSAS) which is a system that will allow Indian soldiers to have the capability to fight in the NCW and EW environments. Indian army has also ordered mini laptops and GPS systems to revamp its infantry. However this programme is ambitious, costly and would take few years to complete. India is also revamping its naval arm.

Indian Navy- (IN) is on course to develop NCW and EW capabilities. On February 7, 2012 Indian navy carried out a Theatre Level Readiness and Operational Exercise (TROPEX). In this exercise IN demonstrated its war readiness and NCW capabilities. IN demonstrated synergy and integration between two completely networked fleets, which were widely, dispersed in the Indian Ocean. These fleets were operating in an electronic environment to display their capabilities to carry out operations under NCW environment.

Satellites are essential part of NCW or EW capabilities. Indian military has also developed its space based assets to augment its NCW and EW capabilities. Indian military with the help of Israel launched RISAT-2 satellite in 2009. This satellite is crucial as far as Indian military’s NCW or EW capabilities are concerned. This satellite has the most advanced surveillance capabilities amongst Indian satellites in orbit. The 300 kg can take 1 m resolution images at night and through clouds. Indian military with the help this satellite will keep constant check on Pakistan military installation and troop deployment.

The DRDO’a Chief Saraswat has announced that “We are looking at launching one or two satellites every year to fulfill the requirements of all three military formations”. Indian military with the help of these satellites will also be able to send data and commands to cruise missiles and to other assets in the air or ground. Indian military is planning to launch a dedicated satellite to revamp Indian Navy’s communication and NCW capabilities in 2012-13. This particular satellite will facilitate networking of IN warships, submarines and aircraft among themselves as well as with operational centers ashore through high-speed data-links, allowing Maritime threats to be detected and shared in real-time to ensure swift reaction. IAF will also have its communication satellite in 2013-14. According to IAF Chief Fali H. Major, the satellite will serve as the air force's eye in the skies. It will link up the six AWACS that the IAF is acquiring with each other as well as other ground and air based radars and assets.

These Satellites will play a critical role in the development of NCW and EW capabilities in the Indian military. Pakistan would have wide rage of implications after these satellites are operational. Pakistan’s strategic sites, military installations, troop’s movement/deployment and strategic bases will be exposed to Indian military.
UAVs also play vital role in the NCW and EW environment. In the modern times UAVs have played an important role in the surveillance, reconnaissance and targeting of enemy in the battlefield.
Indian military is using UAVs for reconnaissance, surveillance and intelligence gathering. The IAF currently operates about 100 Israeli-made Searcher II drones, as well as Heron drones, for reconnaissance and surveillance purposes.

Israel is the major supplier of UAVs to India. It has supplied 50 Heron medium-altitude low-endurance UAVs to the Indian Army. IN is also operating Israeli UAVs from 2003. The IN has commissioned its second UAV Squadron in 2011, and third in April 2012. Each squadron established for eight Searchers II and six Heron UAVs each. These UAVs have the capability to operate at an altitude ceiling of 15,000 ft to 30,000 ft. According to V.K. Saraswat, scientific advisor to Indian defence minister A.K. Antony, “We will soon embark on designing and developing an unmanned combat aerial vehicle, which will not only do surveillance, but will also help detect the target and destroy the identified objects,". Such a development would be worrisome for Pakistan. To counter this Pakistan has to revamp its electronic warfare and long range air defence capabilities.

Indian military is rapidly improving its radars to meet the requirements of NCW and EW environment. It has used weapon locating and battlefield surveillance radars in almost every military exercise from 2004 to 2012.

The WLR is mobile artillery locating Phased array radar developed by India. This counter-battery radar is designed to detect and track incoming artillery, mortars and rocket fire to determine the point of origin for Counter-battery fire.

Whereas Battle Field Surveillance Radar- (BFSR) is a man portable system developed by DRDO to detect, track and classify moving surface targets like crawling and walking men, light and heavy vehicles and low flying helicopters. The system can operate in all weather during day or night. These systems would definitely give an edge to Indian military in modern warfare.

Another important induction in the Indian military is the Thales Ground Smarter GS-100 radar. In November 2009 India carried out a deal with a French company for the supply of 19 Ground Smarter GS-100 low level portable radars to the Indian Air Force. This radar can track targets up to 180 km range. The targets could range from aircraft to cruise missiles, UAVs and even stealthy aircraft. Indian military modernisation would have wide range of implications for Pakistan.

Pakistan must develop its NCW, EW and cyber warfare capabilities because modern warfare is largely depending on these technologies. Pakistan military has to boost its combat efficiency and it must cooperate with other developed countries like China, France, Germany and Japan to overcome its technological impediments in the field of NCW and EW. Pakistan must enhance synergy and coordination among Army, Navy and Air Force. Pakistan military must also work on combat zone transparency and battleground management. Pakistan has to improve its night-fighting capabilities. It must also develop a robust command and control structure.

Author is Research Fellow at South Asian Strategic Stability Institute Islamabad and can be reached at Masood.khatak@gmail.com.

http://www.weeklypulse.org/details.aspx?contentID=2398&storylist=2

So according to you just because initialy there is a problem with a technology it must be aborted..or wait we must not even try to be network centric coz only the great USA can think about it.

Being network centric will provide us an advantage over our adversaries.Its a force multiplier..if its not working due to some technical problem then you can always go and fight the way your enemies are fighting.

I hope you know that all 3 of our defence forces will have a "dedicated satellite".

The AF already has AFNET and heres what the Army is going to achieve in "not so long future"

Indian army prepares for a digitised battlefield

So in the near future by the end of this decade probably we will be looking at the Army and Navy which will be network centric and it doesnt matter to me if its complete network centric or incomplete network centric as long as it gives our men the edge over its adversaries.You know you can counter it by saying anything you like but it is clearly giving us an advantage..Having dedicated satellites is a big thing in my opinion...atleast its better than having nothing of this kind.

Now regarding the Naval blocade thing.

You were trying to say that naval blocade would result in a nuclear war..I mean are you serious?

Look man,its not that easy as you guys think.If you start the nuclear war be assured that for the rest of your life even if your nation survives you are not going to see anything prosperous happening in your country.

Why do you have to bring the N word in every scenario?

I think even if the N option is used it will be used only if the nation is going to suffer a sure defeat.Using it if a naval blocaded is enforce would be too stupid.It doesnt directly threaten you existence.

Dear Sir,

Kindly educate me on the things i am missing.I am all ears.

I never said that there is a problem with technology, I just said currently Indians Army is not network centric by any stretch of imagination. And that it will take a long long time to operationalize it and would cost a lot of money. The allocation in your defence budget is not reflective of such a thing happening anytime soon, even in a decade. Your Army’s Long Term Integrated Perspective Plan 2012 – 2027 (LTIPP) though indicate network centricity, but we will have to wait for 2027 to see what is the outcome.

The planned strike corps for NE India took more than 15 years to see day light and yet is still on the drawing board. There is no harm talking big, but it must have a bit of realism for acceptability.

Pakistan already has a dedicated military satellite for some of the requirements. More will be launched. Do you think Pakistan Army, Navy and Air Force have not progressed in network centricity. @notorious_eagle, obliquely mentioned about one such capability of PAF in one of his posts. If you think that the three Pakistani services haven’t, you need to aware yourself of the developments taking place elsewhere.

I am not at all saying that Indian Army would not be able to achieve what it has set itself to, what I said was that converting such a large force to total network centricity would take a very very long time and not mere 10 years. Australian Army is a very small force in comparison to Indian Army, and their plan for network centricity spans over 16-17 years. So please do talk big but be realistic as well.

Nuclear environment is part of the warfare and is here to stay indefinitely. Why is it that you gentleman shy away from discussing it. It will come into play despite your dislike. It therefore is prudent to discuss and understand the implication rather than live in the past. This is today’s fact and a future reality and we can not become ostriches by hiding our faces in the sand.

I never said that there is a problem with technology, I just said currently Indians Army is not network centric by any stretch of imagination. And that it will take a long long time to operationalize it and would cost a lot of money. The allocation in your defence budget is not reflective of such a thing happening anytime soon, even in a decade. Your Army’s Long Term Integrated Perspective Plan 2012 – 2027 (LTIPP) though indicate network centricity, but we will have to wait for 2027 to see what is the outcome.

The planned strike corps for NE India took more than 15 years to see day light and yet is still on the drawing board. There is no harm talking big, but it must have a bit of realism for acceptability.

Pakistan already has a dedicated military satellite for some of the requirements. More will be launched. Do you think Pakistan Army, Navy and Air Force have not progressed in network centricity. @notorious_eagle, obliquely mentioned about one such capability of PAF in one of his posts. If you think that the three Pakistani services haven’t, you need to aware yourself of the developments taking place elsewhere.

I am not at all saying that Indian Army would not be able to achieve what it has set itself to, what I said was that converting such a large force to total network centricity would take a very very long time and not mere 10 years. Australian Army is a very small force in comparison to Indian Army, and their plan for network centricity spans over 16-17 years. So please do talk big but be realistic as well.

Nuclear environment is part of the warfare and is here to stay indefinitely. Why is it that you gentleman shy away from discussing it. It will come into play despite your dislike. It therefore is prudent to discuss and understand the implication rather than live in the past. This is today’s fact and a future reality and we can not become ostriches by hiding our faces in the sand.

I would be talking big if i would be mentioning something which is not taking place.It has been clearly mentioned that IA should be Network Centric by 2017.It is a process which started in 2004 and till now the IA has done 12 excercises practicing it.It should be done by the end of this decade..its not that we are yet to start on it.The AF already has AFNET and the Navy would soon be getting its satellite.

I suggest you read my post no 110.

My "cautious" approach is not as a result of being ideologically or pathologically inimical towards Pakistan & her citizens. It is simply because I'm not convinced that there is an alternate approach which has any chance of success. Doing something just for the sake of doing it risks putting the cart before the horse. It is a periodic disease that strikes many in India where the urge for kissing & hugging Pakistanis crops up a couple of years after an opposite urge of murderous rage has its time. We in India are guilty of impugning qualities in the relationship with Pakistan that arises from our hopes & wishes & then going to the other extreme when an event occurs that clearly suggests that Pakistan does not see it that way. We keep talking about betrayal, either in the case of Kargil or more recently in Mumbai. The reason for that strong feeling is not necessarily Pakistani actions themselves but a perceived failure to reciprocate our hopes. We are the ones carrying this relationship up the pedestal & then acting all surprised that it keeps getting knocked down. Pakistan has been very clear of what they want which is a resolution of Kashmir on their terms. There is no ambiguity in their position. We are the ones trying to grow that relationship towards other things like trade & people to people contacts which for the Pakistanis has always been something of secondary & limited interest. We then go ballistic every time an event happens which for many in Pakistan is only consistent with tracing that back to a resolution of Kashmir ( hence the talk of us milking 26/11 & so on). We are quite simply not on the same plane & my point is that energies expended by us is entirely wasted & non productive.

If Pakistan is not motivated to change directions towards economic prosperity, so be it. We suffer no loss because no energy of ours has been wasted. A resolution of Kashmir that would satisfy Pakistan is almost impossible for India to offer. What we need is to keep the Pakistan relationship on a containment plane while continuing to grow our own economy. Even if economic disparity does not force a rethink, the military disparity that will be created as a result will work in our favour. Waiting suits us, it is the Pakistanis for whom time is the enemy. For a status quo power like India, time is our best friend. We lose nothing if we are forced to wait simply because we seek nothing. Why then should we be in a hurry to seek that nothingness earlier?

OK. That's your viewpoint. Thank you. :)

I would be talking big if i would be mentioning something which is not taking place.It has been clearly mentioned that IA should be Network Centric by 2017.It is a process which started in 2004 and till now the IA has done 12 excercises practicing it.It should be done by the end of this decade..its not that we are yet to start on it.The AF already has AFNET and the Navy would soon be getting its satellite.

I suggest you read my post no 110.

Sir, I saw that before I posted my reply. Let me just say that I have interacted with many Indian and foreign experts who are involved in such ventures while attending seminars on network centric warfare. I was impressed by their achievements as thorough professionals as they were. I still maintain the belief that a total network centric warfare capability may not be forthcoming for Indian Army and other services by 2017.

Sir, I saw that before I posted my reply. Let me just say that I have interacted with many Indian and foreign experts who are involved in such ventures while attending seminars on network centric warfare. I was impressed by their achievements as thorough professionals as they were. I still maintain the belief that a total network centric warfare capability may not be forthcoming for Indian Army and other services by 2017.

Dear Sir,

I am glad to know that you have had the privelage of interacting with those who have the responsibility of these projects on their shoulders.I would be happy if you could please share with us what all capabilities wont be inducted till 2017 and we might have to wait for 10 years.

Secondly,i am really confused with your term 'total network centric capability'.Could you please elaborate.

Dear Sir,

I am glad to know that you have had the privelage of interacting with those who have the responsibility of these projects on their shoulders.I would be happy if you could please share with us what all capabilities wont be inducted till 2017 and we might have to wait for 10 years.

Secondly,i am really confused with your term 'total network centric capability'.Could you please elaborate.

I am generally aware of certain aspects and their implementation and some of the problems which are being faced and some of the efforts that are being put in to overcome these. In the absence of a much clearer picture it would not be appropriate, neither will it result in an objective assessment of what may not be on the table by 2017.

Some of the system needs include provision of connectivity, a number of applications, hardware element, training of personnel and most of all absorption of the capability including understanding and implementation in change of tactics and strategy. The identification and provision of the amount of bandwidth provision and distribution to various echelons, headquarters, units etc etc etc.

The infrastructural development and provision of connectivity to peacetime locations and the operational areas, particularly the field areas where appropriate bandwidth provision etc is critical. I earlier gave the example of a US armour regiment CO, who had to halt his advance in to Iraq for 2-3 hours to download a few overlays of updated plan.

How much bandwidth would you provide to the headquarters, who always would want more and more and how much for the regimental and level below. How would the connectivity be maintained in a fluid battle field environment. It is very interesting indeed and requires a painful integration.

So when you talk of total warfare centric environment, which Indian Army Chief talks about; it means providing such a capability to all the major minor units of all formations, including those who are needed to support the operations. This has to be done in their peace locations as well as in their operational locations as well as their training areas. Not an easy task indeed.

Put very bluntly, we don't have any bandwidth. We won't have enough bandwidth.

I am not at all ideologically or pathologically inimical towards India and her citizens. It is the hatred that the Indians have for Pakistan which is amply clear when one reads the threads here and which surprises me. I have seen very few Indian posters here who have expressed their desire for peaceful co-existence with Pakistan. Anything and everything that happens wrong in India is blamed on Pakistan. There have been many many incidents where Indian intelligence agencies have have clearly attempted to blame Pakistan in order to malign Pakistan. In a recent incident some honest down to earth Pakistani business people were blamed for spreading terror in India. When these people were interviewed by Pakistani media, the intent of official Indian agencies to deliberately malign Pakistan was as visible as daylight. Did the official Indian agency did it deliberately and with the know-tow and approval of Indian government to further the peace process - bull crap.

These agencies are laden with Hindu fundamentalists and hardliners. They don’t want to induct Muslims, Sikhs Christians and other minorities, even the poor shoodars, in these agencies because they don’t trust even their own minorities. It is the creation of Hindu Rashtra that they are after. After the latest incident in which the official Indians government establishments deliberately blamed some innocent Pakistani business people with charges of spreading terror in India, what do we think of Indian PM or their Foreign Minister and other leaders statements laden with peace and friendship. Baghal mein churi – mun mein raam ram.

From reading about the Indian strategy here, it is clear that India is not going to reduce or redeploy her armed forces away from Pakistani borders, irrespective of the peace that may happen, if at all. Their armed forces would remain Pakistan centric in perpetuity because of their strategy. So how can we seek peace with these people while being threatened by the so-called third largest army of the world.

Yes Pakistan does have lot many problems. We are caught in the eye of the storm created by Americans. Yes we have poor leadership, yes we have poor economy – but we have faced this before also and we shall come out on top.

Therefore, I suggest that instead of attempting to improve our relations with Pakistan hating Indians, we should, in conjunction with our natural allies the Chinese keep the Indians boxed in without even allowing them passageway to central asia and any trade facility, which they are trying to gain since long. Let them go through Iran, whom they have already sold in lieu of American good will. Let them provide cheap and slave labour for manufacturing American and Western goods and think that they would become rich by growing a bit more than the 3-4 % of Hindu growth rate. They’ll suffer at the hands of their own so-called friends and their own security forces and the naxals and other secessionist movements will take care of them in not so distant a future. So, relax gentlemen and let them phase out in their self created ignominy.

The Indians are actively supporting terrorism in Balochistan and are also actively supporting anti-Pakistan Taliban from Afghanistan. Their Consulates in Afghanistan, along Pakistani border are actively involved in supporting terrorism inside Pakistan. If they don't stop such acts and soon, I think Pakistan may like to start active diplomatic support for Kashmiri freedom movement as well as other such movements in North east India. Support for the naxal movement should also be voiced at various international fora. ;)

Back
Top Bottom