What's new

Indian Special Forces

+ There Marine brigade is a very real thing and is being set up as we speak.
I am not objecting Marine Brigade :D it's a good news. That's why I want to get more info about it .... But not from Shiv :P
I will take words of you guies.

I am not objecting Marine Brigade :D it's a good news. That's why I want to get more info about it .... But not from Shiv :P

Thats all the info available as of now.

Anyways you can read this to know more about the whole thing.

The navy and army have sent a proposal to the government seeking permission to transport a 5,000-strong armed infantry and special forces troops, tanks and weapons - an independent brigade group (IBG) - on foreign shores for active operations. This capability has both been controversial and strategically provocative.

It has been learnt that after years of consultations, the army and navy have finally started seeing eye to eye on the modalities required to incrementally build up the capability to deliver a full brigade- strength contingent of troops - including two special forces units - with arms, ammunition, vehicles and weapons outside the Indian mainland.

"The need to move forces is in keeping with the expanded security focus on India's island territories and the ability to deliver forces expeditiously for humanitarian relief operations," navy spokesperson Commander PVS Satish said.

While the financial implications of such a capability are being worked out, they will involve integrated expenditure on larger amphibious assault vessels, equipment and joint training.

The army has an IBG, the 340 Independent Infantry Brigade under Jodhpur- based 12 Corps, for amphibious assault operations.

It re-raised the 91 Infantry Brigade early last year for amphibious warfare.

But the navy currently only has the capacity to transport a little less than two battalions on expeditionary missions. The move now is to crank up that capacity more than twice over for a full IBG. Former navy chief Admiral Arun Prakash said it was absolutely essential that the navy built up the capacity to transport a brigade- sized group across the seas. "We have 1,200 island territories. We have energy investments worth thousands of crores far from our shores. We have huge diaspora in the Middle East. If there was a Kargil-like situation on any of our island territories, we would need adequate boots on the ground for combat. There are also other liabilities such as piracy and potential hostage situations.

Being able to transport a couple of battalions isn't nearly enough," he said.

Sources said the process to obtain approval from the government began under the previous navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta, currently India's high commissioner to New Zealand.

The case is said to have been taken up afresh in February this year by the chiefs of staff committee for consideration by the defence minister.

While formal approval is yet to come, the government has indicated it is in principle inclined to approve the proposal.

The capability received a cursory mention in an official technology roadmap document published by the defence ministry last month.

Vice Admiral (retd) Madanjit Singh, navy's former western commander, said: "It is a major capability that the navy is looking at and will necessarily be a joint effort in consultation with the army. Such a capability is useful for operations, humanitarian relief and rescue operations." The Centre and South Block have always been wary about discussing expeditionary capabilities, considering the implications of such operations and India's carefully nurtured image of a country with no belligerent ambitions.

While the establishment has always guised amphibious capabilities as an imperative for more efficient humanitarian relief operations, there have been several recent signs that assault and combat are very much part of the plan.

On April 14, a detachment of Indian soldiers conducted a landmark joint amphibious assault exercise with US Marines off the coast of San Diego on board the US Navy's landing vessel, USS New Orleans . In February last year - five months after the South Block formalised India's first joint amphibious warfare doctrine - the three forces conducted the biggest joint landing operation of troops (a battalion of the 91 Infantry Brigade re-raised in 2009 as an amphibious brigade) on Gujarat's Madhavpur beach after departing the navy base at Karwar, south of Goa.

Leaving little to the imagination, the South Block had announced then that the exercise proved that the forces could conduct "swift and intense conflict during military operations". Apart from being in the market for four- six more large amphibious landing ships to augment the American-built INS Jalashwa inducted almost three years ago, there are other items on order that indicate the desired amphibious assault readiness.

The most recent was the army's expression of interest in procuring up to 4,000 amphibious assault rifles for the infantry.

Army and navy plan to set up a marine brigade : North, News - India Today

MARCOS,PARA SF are just boys when compared to the special force under the RAW's SFF Called the Special Group(SG).

BTW can anybody conform the very strong rumors that there are Central Asian(mainly Tajiks and Uzbeks) mercenary commando units in the Special Group(SG).

@ arcelite,Special Group(SG) is Black ops team.

MARCOS,PARA SF are just boys when compared to the special force under the RAW's SFF Called the Special Group(SG).

BTW can anybody conform the very strong rumors that there are Central Asian(mainly Tajiks and Uzbeks) mercenary commando units in the Special Group(SG).

unless there are no RAW operatives on PDF..... nope, no one will confirm you this.

Special Group doesnt consist of any foreigers and it consists of Marcos and Para guys only so how can they be boys in front of them when it is relying on them for operatives?

Lastly as per my knowledge SFF and SG are two different things.

Here in this video in the start you can see a SFF officer.

Peacekeepers - YouTube

MARCOS,PARA SF are just boys when compared to the special force under the RAW's SFF Called the Special Group

How do you reach to your conclusions ???

unless there are no RAW operatives on PDF..... nope, no one will confirm you this.

It is said that RAW work through OPERATIVE force and even field agents don't know who the hell these operatives are.

But it is all said. Nobody knows :D

I haven't heard anything like this but I have trouble beliving SG is made up of foreign "mercenaries". AFAIK SG consits of 100% Indians (not even the Tibtan-origin personal that make up a large propertion of SFF are part of SG) and most of the force is drawn from PARA (SF) and, to a lesser extent, MARCOs (possibly Garuds- I have heard this but cannot confirm as of now). SG are under R&AW's operational control but not made up of SFF as has been the assumption of many given SFF is too under R&AW's operational control.

It seems to me that MARCOS dont really care about protecting their ID anymore. In recent times, you could see them in public without any masks.

Google-Ergebnis für http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4aqMimH-8ak/TvzXippdIkI/AAAAAAAAAgs/hDeHMzIPOD0/s1600/Tavors%2Bof%2BIndian%2BNavy.JPG

Dont know how to post that pic

No- this is not at all true. For one the pic you have posted is NOT of MARCOs but of the newly raised SPB (Sagar Prahari Bal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Secondly the identidy protection of MARCOs is well-entrenched in these guys- there is an ethos of going about your buisness without attention and glamour rooted at the heart of these operators and that is not about to change. The fact is the identidy proptection is not to "look cool" or anything but about survival for these guys and their familles when you get down to it and they are strategic assets. Simiarly whilst there is more attention given to PARA (SF) and you can see a lot of pics of these guys with faces uncovered you can see that in most pics where they are on operations they prefer to cover their faces, likewise with Garuds. This is a culture within Indian SOFs and I think I and COLDHEARTED have touched upon this quite a few times.

Fair enough- from what I've heard there is a HUGE amphibious training centre being raised at A&N to be complete by 2020 that will house and train the IN's Marine Birgade. As we know the IN are methodical and intelligent when it comes to long-term vision and procurement plans so as such long term (next 5-15 year period) procurement plans have been drawn up to fully equip this force to be an incredibly potent unit and the more capable such unit in the region, bar none. As such I have heard there are plans to equip these guys with MBTs-the actual MBT that will be purchased is still very much undecided as the IN have, understandably, very little knowledge when it comes to MBTs and are having to rely heavily in IA in this regard, so we can't expect a decision anytime soon plus the fact the IN will probably want to roll-out the force and test them before equipping them with MBTs which will and can be done later. Also recent talk of V-22s for IN has heavily (if not solely) been the result of the raising of the Marine brigade as the requirements is rapid expeditionary missions by this force so the ability to transport serious numbers quickly is key. Also the ongoing procurement of 4-6 LPD/LHD are, of course, directly related to the raising of this Marine Brigade. There are also small-scale, but equally important procurement programs going on wrt the individual kit of the Marines and,thankfully, the IN is being foreward looking in this realm. The MARCOs are already on the hunt for their own FCS separate from IA's F-INSAS and the IN intends to look elsewhere from the F-INSAS for a FCS for the Marine brigade so, things going well, when the Marine brigade come online they should already have a FCS up-and running (similar to but not identical to MARCOs). Equally the IN are looking to procure other systems like ARs, uniforms, helmets etc that will be different to IA. This is about as much as I know right now but it should be fun seeing these guys in action one day!

BTW Marcos should maintain a black ops team like SAD.

Google Image Result for http://images.wikia.com/callofduty/images/b/b5/NZAOSopenday.jpg

Give the Pakis sleepless nights.

A SAD-like unit is not in the MARCOs' remit as the SAD are part of the CIA so it would be R&AW's remit to raise a unit like this and it has- SG!

+ the guy in the pics isn't SAD he looks like a PD's SWAT guy. SAD aren't about being "tooled-up" but experts ant blending in and knowing the local customs/languages.

No- this is not at all true. For one the pic you have posted is NOT of MARCOs but of the newly raised SPB (Sagar Prahari Bal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Secondly the identidy protection of MARCOs is well-entrenched in these guys- there is an ethos of going about your buisness without attention and glamour rooted at the heart of these operators and that is not about to change. The fact is the identidy proptection is not to "look cool" or anything but about survival for these guys and their familles when you get down to it and they are strategic assets. Simiarly whilst there is more attention given to PARA (SF) and you can see a lot of pics of these guys with faces uncovered you can see that in most pics where they are on operations they prefer to cover their faces, likewise with Garuds. This is a culture within Indian SOFs and I think I and COLDHEARTED have touched upon this quite a few times.

Fair enough- from what I've heard there is a HUGE amphibious training centre being raised at A&N to be complete by 2020 that will house and train the IN's Marine Birgade. As we know the IN are methodical and intelligent when it comes to long-term vision and procurement plans so as such long term (next 5-15 year period) procurement plans have been drawn up to fully equip this force to be an incredibly potent unit and the more capable such unit in the region, bar none. As such I have heard there are plans to equip these guys with MBTs-the actual MBT that will be purchased is still very much undecided as the IN have, understandably, very little knowledge when it comes to MBTs and are having to rely heavily in IA in this regard, so we can't expect a decision anytime soon plus the fact the IN will probably want to roll-out the force and test them before equipping them with MBTs which will and can be done later. Also recent talk of V-22s for IN has heavily (if not solely) been the result of the raising of the Marine brigade as the requirements is rapid expeditionary missions by this force so the ability to transport serious numbers quickly is key. Also the ongoing procurement of 4-6 LPD/LHD are, of course, directly related to the raising of this Marine Brigade. There are also small-scale, but equally important procurement programs going on wrt the individual kit of the Marines and,thankfully, the IN is being foreward looking in this realm. The MARCOs are already on the hunt for their own FCS separate from IA's F-INSAS and the IN intends to look elsewhere from the F-INSAS for a FCS for the Marine brigade so, things going well, when the Marine brigade come online they should already have a FCS up-and running (similar to but not identical to MARCOs). Equally the IN are looking to procure other systems like ARs, uniforms, helmets etc that will be different to IA. This is about as much as I know right now but it should be fun seeing these guys in action one day!

Buddy,i have doubts if it will be under the complete command of the IN as the IA has commited thousands of it soldiers to this brigade.

I really hope the IN goes on to equip this brigade with heir FCS system and they be equipped like the Marcos because i dont really see the IA getting the F-INSAS anytime soon.The Navy is really headed by smart people who know how to get the work done in the right duration.

Regarding the tanks i guess it will be the IA commiting its main battle tanks to this brigade and i think the brigade will fall under the tri-services command although i really wish it comes under the Navy.

Buddy,i have doubts if it will be under the complete command of the IN as the IA has commited thousands of it soldiers to this brigade.

I really hope the IN goes on to equip this brigade with heir FCS system and they be equipped like the Marcos because i dont really see the IA getting the F-INSAS anytime soon.The Navy is really headed by smart people who know how to get the work done in the right duration.

Regarding the tanks i guess it will be the IA commiting its main battle tanks to this brigade and i think the brigade will fall under the tri-services command although i really wish it comes under the Navy.

Mate everything I have said comes from a freind of mine who works for <blank> defence company and is working closely with IN on net-centric technology and has told me such details he is privy to- btw none of this is classified, if it were he wouldn't know anything about it as the MoD/Indian forces do not let outsiders have too much info/clearance. And he told me the Marine brigade being raised was completly separate to the IA amphibious brigades and are being recruited directly by IN and will be commissioned into IN. Similarly any MBTs down the road will be operated by this Marine force and NOT IA. But this is an incredibly ambitious and radical plan that is long term in nature so it isn't going to happen overnight and we will be lucky to see it before 2020.

Mate everything I have said comes from a freind of mine who works for <blank> defence company and is working closely with IN on net-centric technology and has told me such details he is privy to- btw none of this is classified, if it were he wouldn't know anything about it as the MoD/Indian forces do not let outsiders have too much info/clearance. And he told me the Marine brigade being raised was completly separate to the IA amphibious brigades and are being recruited directly by IN and will be commissioned into IN. Similarly any MBTs down the road will be operated by this Marine force and NOT IA. But this is an incredibly ambitious and radical plan that is long term in nature so it isn't going to happen overnight and we will be lucky to see it before 2020.

Good news :tup:

So no IA soldier or tank will be present + the IA will raise their own Apmhibious brigade...Nice,I think the foundations are getting laid for Indian Marines.

Good news :tup:

So no IA soldier or tank will be present + the IA will raise their own Apmhibious brigade...Nice,I think the foundations are getting laid for Indian Marines.

That seems to be the case!

Did you mean IN? As I'm pretty sure IA will relinquish all amphibious responsibilities to this new force once it is fully operational.

That seems to be the case!

Did you mean IN? As I'm pretty sure IA will relinquish all amphibious responsibilities to this new force once it is fully operational.

You are confusing me ;) Are you saying that the new force will consist of soldiers and tanks from those 2 IA Amphibious brigades or you are saying that new troops will be inducted by the IN and new tanks purchased or do you mean that the those 2 IA brigades will be changed to non-amphibious brigades and the Marine force will take over the Amphibious ops.

560652_358924490827591_822502682_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom