What's new

Indian Special Forces

I must say you have a great collection. Thanks for sharing it :)
Let me put it again
1. I am not in service my best buddy is a serving officer in SF.
2. Like you I have the same eagerness of IA so I keep digging him everytime we meet.
3. So what I am telling you is straight from a IA guy. And the incident I mention earlier he was part of it.
4. Typical COIN or CIOs is a team consisting 10/15 guies generally SF , wondering around the area( patrol) to hunt down any incergency. Armed with AKs and Tavar.
5. They call reinforcement if and only if they themself can't take on terrorists in the situation if enemy is fortified.
6. I am pretty sure the pics you post are of reinforcers they came after CIOs/COIN guies made enemy hole in.
7. I am not saying Bren isn't used to trash Holed enemy. What I am saying is the CIOs guies "who actually search and hunt" carry ligh weapons. They travel light as they return to base after 2/3 days.
8. If you want to say the reinforces are part of COIN/CIOs I will agree with you :D

And to add one important point most of the time these guies are dressed up like terrorist and carry only AKs :D

It was supposed to be. But it's unclear right now. Last I read somewhere new LMG is being tested. But you know OFB so .... IA might go for imported one.

Mate what you have described is one small part of the spectrum of ops the IA undertakes in JK. This is one very specific scenario you have painted ie SOFs "hunting" for bad guys. Regular guys-RR, are obviously going to operate differently when tasked with different missions and hence have different weapons and firepower.

imgres?q=nsg+mock+drill //article.wn.com/view/2012/ nsg 2012 mock drill

link doesnt work :(
I guess you changed the link in some way bcause you just have 3 posts so far and cant post links, right?
I am eagerly waitung to see them :D

doesnt work............. :cry:

anticipation.jpg

Feel like this!!

Mate,I think you are getting confused with what he said....Heres how the situation is...

There is a QRT team in every company or Ghataks.These are the guys who go for operations.Their number is close to 50-60.They are armed with Aks,SVD,RL,MGL and Bren.

Whenever there is any intel on any suspicious activity these guys are the first to respond.Typical operation is like if there is an intel on terrorists being present in a small village..They will first go and lay outer cordon..The second team will go in and search all houses.Once contact has been established they will cover the esacape routes from the house and call for surrender.If fired upon they will respond back...Reinforcements will only be called when the Commander of the operation has doubts over the required strength of troops needed for operation,or when low on ammo,food or he thinks it will take long.Normally the reinforcements are not called as mostly there are more than 5-6 terrorists ina ny operation which can be handled by the team.

The thing you are mentioning is of the SF operation where they get dressed up like the localites and carry light weapons.You will never see the Infantry troops dressed like localites and moreover infantry troops always operate in the SOPs ie they carry the firepower which has to be carried by the strength of the team...If a team is not carrying things like LMG,HHTI,MGL,RL etc and they get screwed..the officer can almost be assured to be grilled in the Court of Inquiry.

There is a thing called LRP which stands for Longe Route Patrols..which is for 7-15 days out of base in unknown territory..The IA jawans even carry Brens in LRP.

Lastly,everything said above is the first hand experience gained having spent 2 years in LaL Chowk,Srinagar..sometimes even travelling to Kupwara,handwara,Doda etc ..as most memebers in my family have served the RR...so i am not relying on pics here for facts. :-)

Lastly,do try to get any info available from him regarding ops,equipment,weapons etc and share it here.
;)

You are pretty right here. It's ^^^ a standard procedure of IA. No doubt.
I think our definations of COIN/CIOs aren't matching :D

QRT/SRT/Ghatakas are in every company. Agree. But they move only on intel. They are "Reaction teams" ,Right ???
What I am saying is CIOs/COIN guies "search and hunt" and they are SF or may be Ghataks. if you think my idea of COIN is wrong please tell me. Don't hesitate to say I am WRONG. I will like to correct myself :D

I will have a chance to interact with him in "Diwali". He is a hard nut to crack though I will share whatever he allow me to. But I have a feeling that he might not like PDF :D

Edit: I was searching for COIN defination but find this on wiki. Give it a try

The Counter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School (CIJW) in Vairengte, Mizoram, India is a training and research establishment of the Indian Army specializing in unconventional warfare, especially counter-insurgency and guerrilla warfare. CIJW is one of the premier counter-insurgency training institutions in the world.[2] The school's motto is to "fight the guerrilla like a guerrilla".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter_Insurgency_and_Jungle_Warfare_School

Mate what you have described is one small part of the spectrum of ops the IA undertakes in JK. This is one very specific scenario you have painted ie SOFs "hunting" for bad guys. Regular guys-RR, are obviously going to operate differently when tasked with different missions and hence have different weapons and firepower.
Yes and I totally agree with it.
RR guies do most of tasks in JK. Yes.

Our argument is on COIN concept/defination. I agree with HIS every word. That's correct procedure. All I am saying is it isn't COIN. COIN is "search and hunt" atleast that's what I know. I am open for new info. Don't mind to correct me :D

This pic is NSG I'd say:

0.jpg

Nice find! Tactical/ballisitc shileds and ballaistic visors seen for first time in use with NSG!

This pic is some SRT/ERT/QRT of AP:

TH24_MOCK_DRILL_369597f.jpg

If you've got any more on NSG we'll take 'em!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom