1395846_427936787317952_1721969927_n.jpg
Untitled.png

227557_164926706980074_767072188_n.jpg
540844_164801890325889_1860450664_n.jpg

NSG

Last edited:
Lt Gen Syed Ata Hasnain
SF in the below= Security Forces, not Special Forces

Almost a year to the date, Archana Masih of Rediff.com carried an interview with me in the online publication. In that I termed the situation in the Valley, 'The Last Mile'. I then went on to explain what exactly this means.

--------------

'The Last Mile' is simply a situation which is a symbolization of the last stages of conflict stabilization in the military domain; quite different from the political, ideological and social domains. The strength of terrorists is at the lowest ever, the LoC is well dominated to prevent easy calibration by the other side. High profile leadership is missing due to inability to infiltrate without the terrorists facing heavy attrition in the march to the hinterland. Even if successfully infiltrated the ability to strike root is difficult due to all round domination by the SF and intelligence agencies. Terror groups avoid contact with SF and attempt only small scale actions and await their day for a larger deliberate operation, like the current one underway in Pampore. The Army, in particular, is used to high octane stuff; big ticket events, large scale contacts and regular contacts with intelligence inputs. It confirms the high energy levels and the desire to do more; no one in the Army has the patience to sit it out and that is how an Army always is. Everyone is out to kill the last terrorist so that the ugly face of terrorists is eliminated. However, the lesser the terrorist presence and more that the Army tries the results will never be commensurate with statistics of the past. Take it from me; there will be casualties on the Army side higher in ratio than at the time when there were a larger number of terrorists.

-----------

In the Last Mile the attention of the Army will also be diverted by other issues. Human rights take bulk of the attention as do political and legal correctness and a host of other issues. Among many of these issues is something that commanders, staff and junior ranks never faced before; that is the issue of crowds and flash mobs descending on contact sites and attempting to divert SF attention or assist the terrorists to somehow get away. Hence, the greater urgency to finish operations at the earliest. This has been a phenomenon prevalent in South Kashmir in particular over the last two years or a little more. It instigates the SF and leads to responses where civilians are injured or die and that leads to fresh cycle of violence. Shupiyan and Pulwama districts have been the centers of this. Flash mobs can be unnerving and it is to the credit of the CRPF that it has done its task of crowd control rather well. Given the number of times it does it and the nature of instigation there will be occasions when mistakes will be made leading to loss of lives. This can never be justified but nevertheless will remain a factor among the challenges of the Last Mile.

-----------------

The Pampore encounter is one of its kind; in fact a very rare one. Having witnessed hundreds of these in the Valley, to me it would probably appear as one of the better planned actions by the terrorists. They first targeted the CRPF administrative convoy taking advantage of the weak road protection; inflicted casualties there. They then withdrew either by design or by default to one of the largest buildings in the Pampore built up area. Entrepreneurship Development Institute (EDI) is a five floor building with many people inhabiting it in the late afternoon. The CRPF and 50 RR did well to quickly cordon the building.

---------------

The EDI building is not an easy one to assault to carry out an intervention operation. The CRPF was brave in attempting it but after suffering casualties decided to hand over to the Army’s Victor Force which looks after South Kashmir. The Army has a couple of Special Forces teams dedicated to the two RR Force HQ. Given the circumstances, the nature of objective and the fact that it would be a matter of time before flash mobs moved in to upset the Army and CRPF’s equilibrium the Army decided to use the Special Forces teams to carry out intervention operations. I can say with complete assurance that if I was in the position of Major Gen Arvind Datta (GOC Victor Force) my decision would have been the same. I write with the experience of also having been the Colonel General Staff of Victor Force during the heyday of militancy. The Special Forces teams did a professional job of it. Two officer casualties that they suffered, along with a L/Nk

----------------

Coming to the operation itself, there have been many allegations that intervention was unnecessary and that the building should have been brought down using explosives. In the mind’s eye of all those making these allegations, including veterans, there is this usual picture of a typical Kashmiri house made of brick and cement and perhaps even mud, along with an attached cowshed. This wasn’t the case here. To wire up and lay the explosives for bringing down the cement and concrete five floor building would have taken fairly long. In the bargain the flash mobs would have created a major problem. These are the issues impinging on minds of senior officers and their advisers and decisions have then to be taken. The factors are hardly evident to those who may never have had the chance of going through such loops of decision making under stress.

--------------------

In the final word, let me state clearly that fatal casualties are most regrettable but they will take place in such operations where Indian Army officers will always lead from the front. That is their ethos; it is a part of their DNA. Citizens of India must empathize with the travails that their warriors undergo in keeping them safe and express concern about casualties just as they have done in this instance. However, they must also be aware that in the peculiar security situation of the Last Mile there will be occasions when the last post will have to be played quite often. Those who have the honor and privilege of donning the Indian Army’s uniform and embellishments are fully aware of it. It is a measure of their patriotism, their energy and their professionalism that they never flinch from their duties to the Nation.

Lt Gen Syed Ata Hasnain's Blog : Encounters in J&K: Reiteration of the 'Last Mile Philosophy'

@Levina @PARIKRAMA @rockstarIN @noksss @anant_s @knight11

Terrorists have refined their tactics and are striking targets where they can cause a high number of casualties, hold out for a long time against the security forces and create media hype

https://defence.pk/threads/changed-tactics-behind-higher-army-casualties-in-encounters.423214/

Now the question I have is how are we going to counter the free PR these scums are getting by holding on for longer time . Is this not the time to revisit some of the aspects in the doctrine to deny the Free PR these scums are getting by completing the operation quickly ?. By completing the operation quickly we are also reducing the morale of these guys which is generally used as a tool for hiring more

I understand, but what about gas? Russia used a similar tactic during the school siege - it resulted in successfully capturing all terrorists without a single military casualty.

I presume you're talking about the Moscow theatre siege of 2002. In that case the gas attack to subdue the enemy proved to be detrimental to hostages too. Every human reacts to a chemical in different scale. One person may require more anesthesia than another person. So the case which was used proved to be futile for some hostages. In any case such gas attack was not possible in this case because it had open windows and holes.

I presume you're talking about the Moscow theatre siege of 2002. In that case the gas attack to subdue the enemy proved to be detrimental to hostages too. Every human reacts to a chemical in different scale. One person may require more anesthesia than another person. So the case which was used proved to be futile for some hostages. In any case such gas attack was not possible in this case because it had open windows and holes.
I understand that - but in your case there were no civilians around; the hostages had already been evacuated.

From one of the instructors of Capt. Pawan Kumar, 10 Para (SF) (Copied from IMA, Dehradun Facebook Page)

Captain Pawan's instructor from the Indian Military Academy remembers one of his special student who went b join his Battalion and then volunteered to join the Special Forces.
It's an actual account that has come straight from his heart.... I stand witness.....Jai Hind
"How's GC pawan?" ,I asked one of the third term GCs, who were to pass out of IMA soon. My bn had a vacancy and I was inquisitive about Pawan,who had opted for Dogras.
"He's good in camps, sir",came the reply.
I had heard about GCs being good in sports, academics,PT,riding etc,but, this was the first time that I'd heard of someone being good in camps. I understood that the GC wanted to convey that Pawan had inexhaustible endurance and was a gritty team man.
On the day of the passing out,I assured his father, a simple man with strong principles, that Pawan was now part of the family of the Seventh and would be looked after like one. His reply was the same, which he gave today, "he's our only child and we've given him to the army. "
Being away from the bn,I learnt that within a few days Pawan had proved his mettle and earned the respect of his men and admiration of his seniors.
Some months later, Pawan info me that he wanted to convert to Para(SF). For the Josh Box that he was, CO wasn't too keen to let go off Pawan. But, he persisted and was soon donning the Balidan badge.
Earlier on 15 Jan this yr, I was looking forward to meet him during the Golden jubilee celebrations.the first sight of pawan took me by surprise. He had a full grown beard, long hair parted in the middle and resembled a typical Kashmiri. .It was a matter of pride to see the GC transform into a seasoned soldier and a hardened paratrooper. I did feel a bit sorry for my Paltan which had to part with such a zealous offr.
Later, while driving back, he narrated about his operational exploits and the close encounters that he had. His Team members in 10 SF frequently remarked how Pawan had a knack for attracting combat situations.
I was filled with awe by the combat experience of the youngster with barely two years of service and even felt trivialized by his op dexterity & achievements.
Pawan mentioned that he wouldn't have opted for SF had I been posted in the Paltan.
A couple of days later, I learnt that he had injured his jaw during an op and was admitted in 92BH, srinagar. He info that the doctors had recommended him for sick leave and would be proceeding to his hometown. But, when I spoke to him a few days later, he told that he was back with his Team in valley and didn't proceed on sick leave.
Early morning today, I got the shattering news of Pawan attaining martyrdom in the Pampore op.
The pathways of destiny do not reflect any better than in Pawan's case.He was destined to lead a life less ordinary. He had cleared NDA SSB for Air Force , but since the vacancies were limited, joined as an army cadet. Subsequently, in fourth term, he again cleared PABT for AF,but there wasn't even a single vac and he continued as an Army cadet. In IMA,he initially opted for Ord, but was guided by his DS from 5 Dogra and opted for the Regt. But, there was no vac for the bn and he eventually came to Seventh. Rest is history.
He was destined to live the life of a true offr and soldier and died like one,leading from the front. He was destined to be a hero and now calmly looks at us from the skies, earning his place with other martyrs. My salute to my trainee,who did so much at the age of 23,which we may never achieve in our lifetime.
Proud of you, buddy. ..

Your instructor and admirer.

@Levina @Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA @Unknowncommando

From one of the instructors of Capt. Pawan Kumar, 10 Para (SF) (Copied from IMA, Dehradun Facebook Page)

Captain Pawan's instructor from the Indian Military Academy remembers one of his special student who went b join his Battalion and then volunteered to join the Special Forces.
It's an actual account that has come straight from his heart.... I stand witness.....Jai Hind
"How's GC pawan?" ,I asked one of the third term GCs, who were to pass out of IMA soon. My bn had a vacancy and I was inquisitive about Pawan,who had opted for Dogras.
"He's good in camps, sir",came the reply.
I had heard about GCs being good in sports, academics,PT,riding etc,but, this was the first time that I'd heard of someone being good in camps. I understood that the GC wanted to convey that Pawan had inexhaustible endurance and was a gritty team man.
On the day of the passing out,I assured his father, a simple man with strong principles, that Pawan was now part of the family of the Seventh and would be looked after like one. His reply was the same, which he gave today, "he's our only child and we've given him to the army. "
Being away from the bn,I learnt that within a few days Pawan had proved his mettle and earned the respect of his men and admiration of his seniors.
Some months later, Pawan info me that he wanted to convert to Para(SF). For the Josh Box that he was, CO wasn't too keen to let go off Pawan. But, he persisted and was soon donning the Balidan badge.
Earlier on 15 Jan this yr, I was looking forward to meet him during the Golden jubilee celebrations.the first sight of pawan took me by surprise. He had a full grown beard, long hair parted in the middle and resembled a typical Kashmiri. .It was a matter of pride to see the GC transform into a seasoned soldier and a hardened paratrooper. I did feel a bit sorry for my Paltan which had to part with such a zealous offr.
Later, while driving back, he narrated about his operational exploits and the close encounters that he had. His Team members in 10 SF frequently remarked how Pawan had a knack for attracting combat situations.
I was filled with awe by the combat experience of the youngster with barely two years of service and even felt trivialized by his op dexterity & achievements.
Pawan mentioned that he wouldn't have opted for SF had I been posted in the Paltan.
A couple of days later, I learnt that he had injured his jaw during an op and was admitted in 92BH, srinagar. He info that the doctors had recommended him for sick leave and would be proceeding to his hometown. But, when I spoke to him a few days later, he told that he was back with his Team in valley and didn't proceed on sick leave.
Early morning today, I got the shattering news of Pawan attaining martyrdom in the Pampore op.
The pathways of destiny do not reflect any better than in Pawan's case.He was destined to lead a life less ordinary. He had cleared NDA SSB for Air Force , but since the vacancies were limited, joined as an army cadet. Subsequently, in fourth term, he again cleared PABT for AF,but there wasn't even a single vac and he continued as an Army cadet. In IMA,he initially opted for Ord, but was guided by his DS from 5 Dogra and opted for the Regt. But, there was no vac for the bn and he eventually came to Seventh. Rest is history.
He was destined to live the life of a true offr and soldier and died like one,leading from the front. He was destined to be a hero and now calmly looks at us from the skies, earning his place with other martyrs. My salute to my trainee,who did so much at the age of 23,which we may never achieve in our lifetime.
Proud of you, buddy. ..

Your instructor and admirer.

@Levina @Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA @Unknowncommando

From what I know of the SF, to have been deployed to active operations at such a young age speaks volumes of these officers. Not only would they have had to been exceptional soldiers and officers just to get into SF so young but to have then been on actual operations and "team guys" means they were truly outstanding guys- the SF would never allow someone who wasn't ready into operations. The instructor is right- they had done so much at such a young age that most will never do in an entire lifetime.

It still is almost unfathombly young to have done so much and now be dead at such a young age, it is not much older than I am now and it simply blows my mind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom