What's new

Indian Special Forces

Is there any Unit of Special forces deployed along Pakistan border? ?

Yes..Para SF are involved in cross border raids.

Marcos saw lots of action in 2002-05 period in Kashmir, so if you are saying they were deployed only in kashmir...was there lots of encounters going on in that area? One of Marco guy told me once(i didnt meet him since then)

He told me that he visited gulf countries too for exercises with respective counterparts. But I hardly see any such in any publications/net.

Not only during that period but in the SL war with LTTE and in the gulf of aden.

They are active around wular lake as the only reason to bring them was to end the arms trafficking and minimise the terrorist movement in and around the wular.

They did the job pretty well and then they started gathering intel and conducting operations which were not amphibious in nature.

The point you see me debating here very often is that Kupwara (uri,hafruda,lolab and handwara) is hardcore terrorist area and is the capital of any Para SF deployed in Kashmir.

And Marcos are not deployed there.Para SF deploys 6-8 man teams which do not interschuffle team members even with RR Ghataks which are by the way also very good.

Last year a Marcos officer in a joint operation with Para SF won a gallantry award when he rushed towards the terrorists armed with PKM and killed them avoiding casualties.He got hit in the legs.But this was near Srinagar and not in Kupwara.

Regarding the exercises i am only aware of Marcos regularly working with Seals.We dont get to hear much about their deployment as Indian SOF are secretive in nature.

Last edited:
BN-FW877_1205ka_J_20141205120057.jpg

IMHO the Tavor. It is a rugged, very accurate and well designed rifle and its "over the beach" capability is truly remarkable and thus very suited to SF operations. The M4/AR-15 has some notorious issues in terms of reliability that, to be fair, have been mostly addressed. From what I know the SF got the M4 mostly for airborne missions as the M4 is lighter and less bulky than the Tavor. Other than that it is up to the SF operators which weapon they want to go for and this is why you see some with the M4 and others (most) with the Tavor.

There will be SF teams co-depliyed with helo units along the LoC ready to be called in for direct action missions when infiltrators are detected trying to enter Indian territory.

are they trained specifically for anti-terrorism ops or they are also trained for war scenarios ?

are they trained specifically for anti-terrorism ops or they are also trained for war scenarios ?
They are Para (SF), trained for the entire spectrum of Special Operations and are amongst some of the finest and best trained special forces operators on the planet. They have a role during "peacetime" i.e. counter terrorism and wartime of course.

You shouldn't know anything sensitive to be honest :/
Well I know next to nothing truly sensitive. I know a few things that really shouldn't be in the public domain but in the grand scheme of things they are incredibly trivial details. Sadly I don't know much :/

Well I know next to nothing truly sensitive. I know a few things that really shouldn't be in the public domain but in the grand scheme of things they are incredibly trivial details. Sadly I don't know much :/

Fair enough. Most of the more trivial operational details are well known by both sides.

In fact, these details are kept secret to befuddle only those who seek to gain favour through exploiting opportunity.

Opportunists such as our friendly neigbourhood non-state actors ;)

how many types of indian sp are there? For example pakistan main three are ssg,ssgn and ssw

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom