What's new

Indian scientists discover insulin pills for diabetics

Okay hes the doc my uncle was talking about.Apparently this doc now comes to dubai too these days.

From what I know type-1 diabetes patients are children and young adults.So do they've to take diabetes medication throughout their life??
And if so wont it have side effects?
In non diabetic people insulin is naturally produced in the body. Since patients with type 1 cannot produce this naturally they have to inject it daily. Basically its a peptide hormone, that's why it has no side effect.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but oral insulin is already discovered and commercially available.

Here is the link to one of the company marketing Insulin Capsule

ORMD 0801 - Oral Insulin Capsule - Oramed

Hahahahah

Ok go ahead first tell me what is first Pass effect?
What is "parenteral", "Oral"?
What is the difference between "Capsule", "Pill" and Tablet?
What is "Film Coated"?
What are the "Enzymes"?
Why Insulin cant be taken orally?

Tell me everything then i will burst your "Cheecho" Indian brain once and for all

Tsk tsk, so much hatred. Why do you want to be spoon fed? Why can't you dig info out yourself, instead of pulling others down? Is this how you usually are, lazy, or you reserve this behaviour of yours only when Indians do something?

==========================================================
Insulin Pill Is Breakthrough In Diabetes Treatment, Provides New Way For Body To Lower Blood Glucose

Scientists have attempted to create a pill form of insulin treatment since the 1930s, so diabetes patients would be spared the pain of jabbing themselves with a needle every day. But in the past, such pills were deemed physically impossible — “left for dead because as a protein composed of amino acids, insulin is destroyed by enzymes in the digestive system before it can do any good,” Bill Berkrot of Reuterswrites.

According to a new study published in the ACS journal Biomacromolecules, however, a team of researchers believe an insulin pill can be possible. They have found a new way to create a pill that digests properly in the stomach and is absorbed into the bloodstream, to lower the patient’s blood glucose, remove the pain of needles, and increase the likelihood that patients will take their medicine when they should.

Sanyog Jain, assistant professor at National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research and a researcher who led the study, discovered two new approaches that would make it easier for an insulin pill to be absorbed properly into the body. Previously, scientists struggled with delivering insulin in a pill due to the stomach’s breaking down of insulin before it could get to work. Digestive enzymes break down the pill and prevent the insulin from being absorbed. Furthermore, it’s difficult for insulin to be absorbed through the stomach into the bloodstream. Jain found that when he packed insulin into small sacs made of lipids — known as liposomes — and layered them with protective polyelectrolytes, as well as folic acid, the insulin was prevented from breaking down in the digestive system. Folic acid is a type of vitamin B that allows liposomes to be absorbed into the blood through the intestines.

The scientists tested these “layersomes” in rats and found that this new system was able to decrease blood glucose levels nearly as much as injected insulin. However, they also found that the effects of the layersomes continued longer than that of injected insulin.

Diabetes is a disease that inhibits the production or use of insulin, which is a hormone that helps blood glucose — or blood sugar — become absorbed into cells and give them energy. Type 1 diabetes occurs when the body doesn’t make enough insulin, and type 2 diabetes occurs when the body doesn’t make or use insulin very well, causing glucose to remain in the blood, which can lead to serious problems.
===========================================================

Am guessing you don't have access to peer reviewed journals, if you did you d haven't bothered asking others to dig info out for you. Here's some excerpts from their paper published in the BioMacromolecules journal.

Improved Stability and Antidiabetic Potential of Insulin Containing Folic Acid Functionalized Polymer Stabilized Multilayered Liposomes Following Oral Administration - Biomacromolecules (ACS Publications)

Abstract

The present study reports the folic acid (FA) functionalized insulin loaded stable liposomes with improved bioavailability following oral administration. Liposomes were stabilized by alternating coating of negatively charged poly(acrylic acid) (PAA) and positively charged poly(allyl amine) hydrochloride (PAH) over liposomes. Furthermore, folic acid was appended as targeting ligand by synthesizing folic acid–poly(allyl amine) hydrochloride conjugate. The insulin entrapped within the freeze-dried formulation was found stable both chemically as well as conformationally and developed formulation exhibited excellent stability in simulated biological fluids. Caco-2 cell and ex vivo intestinal uptake studies revealed higher uptake of folic acid functionalized layersomes in comparison with their plain counterparts. In vivo pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic studies further revealed almost double hypoglycemia and approximately 20% relative bioavailability in comparison with subcutaneously administered standard insulin solution. Overall the proposed strategy is expected to contribute significantly in the field of designing ligand-anchored, polyelectrolyte-based stable systems in drug delivery.

Conclusion

In the current report, liposomes were stabilized by layer-bylayer coating of polyelectrolytes, which finally converted to a robust structure “layersomes”. Along with stabilization, targeting potential of the system was also explored by appending FA as a ligand to have the advantages of FA transporters in the GI tract. The developed FA-Ins-layersomes exhibited excellent stability in simulated biological fluids and hypoglycemic response in diabetic rats. The developed formulation exhibited prolonged hypoglycemia up to 18 h, indicative of easy-to-administer, patient-friendly oral formulation that can combat diabetes with improved therapeutic profile. Well documented technology for large scale production of liposomes is another hidden advantage that can make this approach a clinical reality. In the current scientific panorama, when oral delivery of insulin is still the dream for the scientific community, the current findings may add some novel tools in designing the polyelectrolyte-based systems with target specificity.

==========================================================

You can read the rest of it there as I don't want to infringe on someone's copyright. :wave:

Last edited:
Buddy you can google all you want. I am only telling you and OP that this discovery has already been made and commercial oral insulin is available in market. Its you who have to prove that it is the discovery of an Indian scientist not me. Thanks
Buddy you can google all you want. I am only telling you and OP that this discovery has already been made and commercial oral insulin is available in market. Its you who have to prove that it is the discovery of an Indian scientist not me. Thanks
Sure you tell me everything regarding basics of Pharmacology. My questions still remains what is the innovation of Indians (as you are claiming that its a discovery)?

Oral Insulin is already available and it is discovered already.

Is the insulin (your countrymen discovered) is available commercially? Have you conducted its trials?
What is the new discovery you are claiming?
do you know wat a randomized control trial mean?
since when a drug in phase 2 rct considered commercially available??

In non diabetic people insulin is naturally produced in the body. Since patients with type 1 cannot produce this naturally they have to inject it daily. Basically its a peptide hormone, that's why it has no side effect.
only threatening side effect of any insulin preparation is hypoglycemia(low glucose)

Last edited:
engineer...so non med in 11th nd 12th...so fir bhi bio padh li:tsk:
ya fir super medical rakhi thi:wacko::cheesy:
Oye thank you. Yaad hi nahi raha. Biology aise hi pad leta tha. Shauk shauk main.
;) Par change kar diya.

@Roybot Saale pehle nahin aa sakta tha, mujhe itna likhna pada. ;)

Last edited:
[QUOTE said:
"Rajput_Pakistani, post: 5055698, member: 142840"]
Whats the Non-sense here?

you are

Have you read my posts or not?

Have you?

Behave like a "PDF Vateran" and show respect to others and gain respect in return.

if you are acting like an idiot i put you in place wanna earn respect earn it.

Something non-sense to you may have sense for someone else. Thanks

Let me guess you would have passed the 2nd grade had you not failed 1st

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. Euripides

you are

Have you?

if you are acting like an idiot i put you in place wanna earn respect earn it.

Let me guess you would have passed the 2nd grade had you not failed 1st

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. Euripides

Please do let me show what was the non-sense and idiotic thing you find out about my posts? I just asked them about the innovation they made as i am in Pharmaceutical industry since last 12 years.

Please do let me show what was the non-sense and idiotic thing you find out about my posts? I just asked them about the innovation they made as i am in Pharmaceutical industry since last 12 years.

What do you do in Pharmaceutical industry?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom