What's new

Indian Political Corner | All Updates & Discussions.

Clean sweep by SAD, BJP in Pb civic polls

Beating the anti-incumbency factor, the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) and the BJP combine made a clean sweep in the elections held for 122 municipal councils and nagar panchayats of Punjab on Wednesday.

The Independents also emerged strong by throwing up a surprise by bagging a good number of seats. The Congress party too managed to make its presence felt in some of the areas including Ludhiana. The elections for 2062 wards of 122 municipal councils and nagar panchayats were held on Wednesday and the counting of votes started immediately after polling finished on the polling booths.

Till the filing of this report, the results for 1829 wards of 110 municipal councils and nagar panchayats have been declared, out of which SAD has won 722, BJP 285, and the Congress 209. The Independents bagged whopping 600 seats while making a complete sweep in Rahon, Longowal, among others.

The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and the People’s Party of Punjab (PPP) too managed to register wins in Jalandhar district. As the BSP won one seat each in Nakodar, Nurmahal, and Bhai Roopa, PPP bagged one seat in Phillaur and two in Gobindgarh. The election process concluded on peaceful note with 78.60 per cent polling barring stray incidents at some booths of Samana and Ferozepur.

“The election today was by and large peaceful expect some booths at Samana and Ferozepur. The re-polling would be conducted at these five booths on March 8,” said the State Election Commissioner SS Brar. The people’s mandate in favour of SAD and BJP candidates assumes significance as the combine is facing anti-incumbency for being in power for almost eight years now.

Moreover, the factor of increasing gulf between the two was also considered to affect their poll prospects. SAD was facing resistance of sorts by the BJP. In fact, the saffron brigade went solo at several places, including Tarn Taran after the state Local Bodies Minister Anil Joshi’s younger brother was attacked allegedly by Akali men. In 23-member Tarn Taran municipal council, SAD bagged 16 seats while BJP managed to win just seven.

Clean sweep by SAD, BJP in Pb civic polls

@Prometheus :flame::flame:

@Prometheus where is AAP? Where is the anger against the Akalis and BJP? Bhagwant Mann can only crack jokes in parliament and leer at women in assembly.

10403383_884249381637935_594458572208520848_n.jpg

Kejriwal is India's progress. Period

You expected anything more from feku? :lol:

What's wrong with you AAPTARDs' brains, did your mother throw you across the room when you were born? You're illogical and follow a anarcho-communist. It's scary to think how many idiots India produces, I guess that's why India is full of derras and schemers like Sai baba V2.0. People like you are why India is so poor and backwards.

What's wrong with you AAPTARDs' brains, did your mother throw you across the room when you were born? You're illogical and follow a anarcho-communist. It's scary to think how many idiots India produces, I guess that's why India is full of derras and schemers like Sai baba V2.0. People like you are why India is so poor and backwards.

Awesome like other bhakats when exposed you start bad mouthing others

We very well know what you hindutva brigade wanted by electing feku - drive out all minorities under the pretext of so called development

Let me ask you one thing - what development has he done in past 10 months? Are you honestly satisfied? I must say he did deliver on his hindutva agenda and tried converting all minorities to hindus but eventually that too faltered

So spare me of your rant, we want secular government in centre, that's all

Back
Top Bottom