What's new

Indian Navy won't get a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier anytime soon

#hydra#

Reaction score
Country
India
The Indian Navy has abandoned its planto acquire an American-style nuclear-powered aircraft carrier because developing a nuclear reactor powerful enough for the same will take a long time, reports Business Standard.

The Indian Navy was eyeing US technology with nuclear propulsion for INS Vishal to boost its range and potency.
Five officials directly connected with the INS Vishal project told the paper that instead of a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, INS Vishal will now be a conventionally powered 65,000-70,000 tonne vessel, housing some 55 aircraft and incorporating a state-of-the-art “electromagnetic aircraft launch system” (EMALS) to catapult aircraft off the carrier.

The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) told the Navy that the process would take 15-20 years so that the nuclear reactor has all features to protect the aircraft from the corrosive and dynamic marine environment, said the report.

As of now, India has a 190 Megawatt (Mw) reactor for the country’s fleet of four-to-six nuclear propelled, nuclear missile carrying submarines which have been commissioned to INS Arihant, the first aircraft carrier.

Since INS Vishal would require a reactor capable of generating at least 500-550 Mw, India will have to develop a brand new, miniaturised reactor.

There has been some dispute within government bodies regarding the funding for the development of a 550-Mw reactor, which is not yet a part of the development plan.

BARC did not respond to an email query from the paper regarding the same.

the article says Indian Navy is leaving the idea because the problem is that India cannot develop a reactor, my question is that how is India building Nuclear subs if India has no reactor technology or that made in India is actually made in france. cause Sub reactors are more complex than ship reactors

the article says Indian Navy is leaving the idea because the problem is that India cannot develop a reactor, my question is that how is India building Nuclear subs if India has no reactor technology or that made in India is actually made in france. cause Sub reactors are more complex than ship reactors
Did you read the article?

The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) told the Navy that the process would take 15-20 years so that the nuclear reactor has all features to protect the aircraft from the corrosive and dynamic marine environment, said the report.

As of now, India has a 190 Megawatt (Mw) reactor for the country’s fleet of four-to-six nuclear propelled, nuclear missile carrying submarines which have been commissioned to INS Arihant, the first aircraft carrier.

Since INS Vishal would require a reactor capable of generating at least 500-550 Mw, India will have to develop a brand new, miniaturised reactor.

There has been some dispute within government bodies regarding the funding for the development of a 550-Mw reactor, which is not yet a part of the development plan.

in the article its said we have a 190mw reactor but to develop a 550 one it will take a while. we are not as lucky as some who are able to get systems and claim them as their own!!!

Did you read the article or do you have any problems in understanding the language?

Indian Navy wants BARC to pay for all the research and wants to use the end product, while the BARC wants navy to pay for all the expenses as navy would be the final customer, it seems fair, if you want to have a custom made and tailored reactor you have to pay for it, not the agency

Indian Navy wants BARC to pay for all the research and wants to use the end product, while the BARC wants navy to pay for all the expenses as navy would be the final customer, it seems fair, if you want to have a custom made and tailored reactor you have to pay for it, not the agency
I think,goi should bear the project as both are govt agency.

I think,goi should bear the project as both are govt agency.
But from which budget? It would always be taken out from defence budget that no one is willing to do, it's Navy's responsibility to fund this project as only Navy is going to use it....

Lacking the basic knowledge.

Stupidubido..

But from which budget? It would always be taken out from defence budget that no one is willing to do, it's Navy's responsibility to fund this project as only Navy is going to use it....
IN already having peanut defence allocation,they already fund NLCA basic works. And goi should find the way to fund this project.

IN already having peanut defence allocation,they already fund NLCA basic works. And goi should find the way to fund this project.
Are we ready for nuclear carriers?? I think nuclear subs are good enough with 4-5 conventional carriers is good....

Are we ready for nuclear carriers?? I think nuclear subs are good enough with 4-5 conventional carriers is good....
Million dollar question,so far only USN has successfully deployed nuclear carriers in large numbers.

Million dollar question,so far only USN has successfully deployed nuclear carriers in large numbers.
I am just worried about our sailors and officers that will be working in such hazardous work place, I think India first needs establish a training center to train it's crew and engineers that will be working on the reactor and 550Mw is a lot of energy, any accident related to such a carrier will be to dangerous for the port city it would be harboured at and we also don't have any experience in disposing of nuclear waste products.....we need to learn this and then we can have one, it would be the best target for enemy forces and a priced one.

I am just worried about our sailors and officers that will be working in such hazardous work place, I think India first needs establish a training center to train it's crew and engineers that will be working on the reactor and 550Mw is a lot of energy, any accident related to such a carrier will be to dangerous for the port city it would be harboured at and we also don't have any experience in disposing of nuclear waste products.....we need to learn this and then we can have one, it would be the best target for enemy forces and a priced one.
Not only that,we must ensure that reactor will not leak at any cost,even in the event of sinking by enemy fire.

sums up the article

Back
Top Bottom