What's new

Indian Navy to lease 2nd Akula-class submarine - Iribis

That Sub was leased to primarily get a "hands-on experience" of Nuclear Subs. Which could then be used in the Arihant Project. But that Charlie Class Sub did not really meet the IN's requirements. Therefore it was returned even before the Lease ran out.

I agree with you.... My point was.... If we are going to return Akula1 after 10 years then this is a replacement (assuming that shipyard complete the construction in 7 years - and another 3 to 4 years of trials). If that is the case why to invest on this project, rather than paying more and extending the lease of akula 1. If we are retaining the INS Chakra and get this additional we might have atleast 3 nuclear submarines by 2013..

I agree with you.... My point was.... If we are going to return Akula1 after 10 years then this is a replacement (assuming that shipyard complete the construction in 7 years - and another 3 to 4 years of trials). If that is the case why to invest on this project, rather than paying more and extending the lease of akula 1. If we are retaining the INS Chakra and get this additional we might have atleast 3 nuclear submarines by 2013..

There is an option to renew/extend the Lease.

The Barracuda and Akula Subs are not in the same class; esp wrt operating depth and endurance issues.

But it doesn't have to be exactly the same as the Barracuda class,just something similar modified to IN requirements.I'm just guessing here.My point is that contrary to what some posters argued here, France is one country that has the technology and is willing to share it.

But it doesn't have to be exactly the same as the Barracuda class,just something similar modified to IN requirements.I'm just guessing here.My point is that contrary to what some posters argued here, France is one country that has the technology and is willing to share it.

There is more to the SSN design that the IN is looking for than just Nuclear Propulsion. Do consider that the Barracuda is just an extended Scorpene design with Nuclear Propulsion. India is already building the Scorpenes. So why did it not do what the Brazilians are doing?

But is there any option of extending the lease of akula 1? ( i mean after completion of 10 years)

There is an option to buy the sub at the end of the lease period .

That Sub was leased to primarily get a "hands-on experience" of Nuclear Subs. Which could then be used in the Arihant Project. But that Charlie Class Sub did not really meet the IN's requirements. Therefore it was returned even before the Lease ran out.

The lease was for 3 years and according to some sources , at the end of lease due to US pressure USSR refused to extend the lease .

There is an option to buy the sub at the end of the lease period .

The lease was for 3 years and according to some sources , at the end of lease due to US pressure USSR refused to extend the lease .

Correction. You cannot buy nuclear submarines. The P4 (China doesn't give a rat's rear to anything that it signs or doesn't sign) are kinda bound not to sell nuclear related platforms to other countries. Even Russians.

As for the member who was suggesting that we acquire the tech and make it in the same time, I say El Oh El.

If sarkari shipyards make it with the current manufacturing capability, we will have these subs ready in 2050.

Correction. You cannot buy nuclear submarines. The P4 (China doesn't give a rat's rear to anything that it signs or doesn't sign) are kinda bound not to sell nuclear related platforms to other countries. Even Russians.

As for the member who was suggesting that we acquire the tech and make it in the same time, I say El Oh El.

If sarkari shipyards make it with the current manufacturing capability, we will have these subs ready in 2050.

I got it from wiki and honestly I don't know how much reliable the news was .

But IMO , for all intended purposes India must have bought this sub. We payed a nice sum for it's completion .Since the sale of the nuclear sub will raise eye brows every where , they had played it to lease agreement where the lease can be extended at the end of 10 years . So technically we can 'lease' these submarines for it's full life .

IMO
well it's not bad if we get another nuclear submarine like Akula 2 on lease

Benefits-
1)It would improve the attack nuclear capabilty of india in key strategic chokepoints even further where foreign subs patrol

2)There must be definitely something incredible about the submarine which IN officials are so interested to lease another one of those submarine

3)Falling sub numbers level can be compensated till we built our own nuke sub .

4)Last but not the least NUCLEAR subs are real submarine :coffee:

But last time when we leased we gave it back after 10 years right?

Last time when we leased a nuke sub, it was only for three years, after lease was over, US pressure on newly formed Russia was intense to call off further lease.

This is not the case this time around, we are leasing it for 10 years & there is a BUY option also after lease expires.

Last time when we leased a nuke sub, it was only for three years, after lease was over, US pressure on newly formed Russia was intense to call off further lease.

This is not the case this time around, we are leasing it for 10 years & there is a BUY option also after lease expires.

Buy option really ???
If that was possible Wouldnt it have been logical if we had bought it in first place then ???

AFAIK there is nothing on this so much buying option other than wiki. Do you have any links regauding the said thing ???

Buy option really ???
If that was possible Wouldnt it have been logical if we had bought it in first place then ???

AFAIK there is nothing on this so much buying option other than wiki. Do you have any links regauding the said thing ???

You are confused with nuclear weapon with nuclear reactor propelled vessel. This ban is applied on weapons not reactor.

This is a small nuclear reactor for military use so not every can buy it (or afford it). This is very sensitive & complex technology so nobody share it. India can and would buy Akula subs.
@Capt.Popeye I think lease news of both subs are for world consumption. India finance these subs & Indian scientists & engineers works closely with their Russian counterparts to gain knowledge of nuclear technology. Just like we lease first nuclear sub in end of eighties & this helps ATV project. We handover that sub because we didn't finance that & due to US pressure but current situation is whole opposite. I think we could see Indian local SSN in akula class in 10-15 years.

Simply this project is TOT of advance miniatured nuclear reactor for India.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy option really ???

We finance those subs but 10 year lease clause added due to shut the mouth of China.

We finance those subs but 10 year lease clause added due to shut the mouth of China.

China :undecided: It has nothing to do with China and why are you creating new theories ??? Didn't we already have tonnes of those.

Reply if you have something concrete. Please Don't guess.

@Capt.Popeye
About post #19 : can you explain a little more ??? Whats the "more" IN looking for ??? For somebody like me the Brazilian way sounds good.

About post #25 : is there any officially recognised treaty that restrict sell of N-Subs ??? I browse through wiki pages about NPT but nothing clear

Last edited by a moderator:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom