What's new

Indian Navy to lease 2nd Akula-class submarine - Iribis

India and Russia are to shortly begin negotiations on the lease of a second
nuclear attack submarine for the Indian Navy. The second boat likely to be the
completed might be Iribis, an Akula that was only half constructed but abandoned
as a result of paucity of funds.

The recently leased Akula class submarine - INS Chakra II, currently in service
with the Navy’s eastern fleet has been on nearly non-stop patrol since its induction
in April last year, and the Navy is reported to be very satisfied with its capabilities
and performance.

Tentatively christened INS Chakra III, the new submarine will be another advanced
variant of the Akula class submarines that are capable of spending months under
water. It is likely to be equipped with more lethal weaponry, including a vertically
launched Brahmos missile system.

The submarine is to be reconstructed around the hull of the Iribis, a Russian
Akula class submarine that was never completed as funds became scarce in
the late nineties. Vladimir Dorofeev, head of the Malachite Design Bureau, said
that the new submarine could also benefit from the design efforts that Russia
had put in its latest class of Yasen nuclear-powered attack submarines.

Source: Indian Navy to lease second Akula-class submarine - Iribis

So 2nd SSN will be slightly different from the first one?

1. We are paying money to complete the sub
2. We are also getting it modified to host Brahmos

So why are we leasing it, and not buying it outright?

China :undecided: It has nothing to do with China and why are you creating new theories ??? Didn't we already have tonnes of those.

Reply if you have something concrete. Please Don't guess.

Russia - China relation does not warm in diplomatic level but their defence business are high volume. So give a nuclear sub to his arch rival soar this relation. Its clause also added to close world eyes.
India finance to build those subs not for charity for technology & add a lethal weapon in his underwater inventory.

This is not secret to called it conspiracy theory but it is not official but it is reality.
Next 10 year we would see them.

@Capt.Popeye
About post #19 : can you explain a little more ??? Whats the "more" IN looking for ??? For somebody like me the Brazilian way sounds good.

About post #25 : is there any officially recognised treaty that restrict sell of N-Subs ??? I browse through wiki pages about NPT but nothing clear

Brazillian option is in conventional sub's hull intregated with nuclear reactor. Just like our scorpene sub with nuclear propultion.
NPT bans mainly nuclear weapon but some clause restrict to assist member countries for nuclear energy for miltary use. Russia & India like country bypass it.
We can fit nuclear weapon in our convention. In nuclear subs nuclear reactor propells sub. But one which barred us to armed these nuclear subs with nuclear weapon. Thats why we develop our own subs by gaining technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have option to buy it after 10 yr lease.

Ok....If it is so it is very good news....It seems to be the case, otherwise leasing the second one doesn't make sense But I if there is a buy option why are we leasing it in first place????

Russia - China relation does not warm in diplomatic level but their defence business are high volume. So give a nuclear sub to his arch rival soar this relation. Its clause also added to close world eyes.
India finance to build those subs not for charity for technology & add a lethal weapon in his underwater inventory.

This is not secret to called it conspiracy theory but it is not official but it is reality.
Next 10 year we would see them.

Again , let me tell you
- Dont reply to the posts which are directed to a specific member unless and until you have some concrete thing to say. We dont lack guessers here
- If Russia could have sold us the N-Sub they wouldnt care about anybody. If what you guessing is correct we would have never seen FGFA. In reality FGFA is more harmful to China than 1 N-Sub.
-Dont wana be rude but you need to stop this BS. You acting like Indian media. Connecting everything to China.

Brazillian option is in conventional sub's hull intregated with nuclear reactor. Just like our scorpene sub with nuclear propultion.
NPT bans mainly nuclear weapon but some clause restrict to assist member countries for nuclear energy for miltary use. Russia & India like country bypass it.
We can fit nuclear weapon in our convention. In nuclear subs nuclear reactor propells sub. But one which barred us to armed these nuclear subs with nuclear weapon. Thats why we develop our own subs by gaining technology.
Buddy try and understand the post before replying. I am aware of what Brazil is doing.
That was aimed at @Capt.Popeyes post where he said IN is looking for more than simple N-propulsion. I was trying to get some more info on that if the said poster can add.

Ok....If it is so it is very good news....It seems to be the case, otherwise leasing the second one doesn't make sense But I if there is a buy option why are we leasing it in first place????

I guess this builds in a degree of flexibility for the IN- if they get on well with the subs they keep them, if they don't of decide they want to go another way they just return them. It also means the IN isn't going to be left with lemons from the Russkies as has occurred in the past. If the Russians pull some typical Russian behaviour and mess India around then they can turn around and give back the subs.

When you have tech as sophisticated and expensive as this but are getting it from the Russians then i guess it is smart to build in such safety.

That was aimed at @Capt.Popeyes post where he said IN is looking for more than simple N-propulsion. I was trying to get some more info on that if the said poster can add.

I did explain that in the context of the query from the other member regarding availability of French Tech. The capabilities of the Akula is very different from a Barracuda. The Barracuda is somewhat of a 'Baby Boomer' so far as SSNs are concerned wrt operational capabilities. Then the SSN is not just a nuke powered Sub. It is a weapon platform. That is the part of it that IN is also interested in . There is greate commonality of IN weaponry with the Russians than with the French. Including projected developments.

Sorry to break everyone's bubble here, but is there any other source reporting this, other than this blog? Any credible mainstream media, Indian or Russian?

This sounds logical, and not to do it sounds illogical, but I really don't expect this much sense from our military (and civilian) planners. If this was true, it would be reported by several media outlets, not just a random blogger.

I'm very skeptical of this news, but I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Sorry to break everyone's bubble here, but is there any other source reporting this, other than this blog? Any credible mainstream media, Indian or Russian?

This sounds logical, and not to do it sounds illogical, but I really don't expect this much sense from our military (and civilian) planners. If this was true, it would be reported by several media outlets, not just a random blogger.

The thing was the Russian navy loved the Nerpa and wasn't ready to part with it. After the Yasen was fast tracked they let go of it. The Indian Navy fell in love the first time they got their hands on Nerpa. So it was logical that thy exercise their option of leasing one more sub to be leased. This was in the clause when the deal for Vikramaditya was signed.

There is nothing official about 2nd lease. The only thing that can be said reliable was the speech of Russian ambassador at the induction of Akula. If you could find that speech video please post it here too ;)
Secondly IN chiefs interview where he said IN is more than satisfied with Akula and look to get another if GOI allowed them to.
Other than this two there is nothing .... This news/rummer came after the yearly Indo-Russian defence co-meet. So might be true

But is there any option of extending the lease of akula 1? ( i mean after completion of 10 years)

I suppose there is an option to buy this submarine after the lease expires.

there are some international agreements, conditions which prevents Russia from selling nuclear sub, that's why we are taking it on lease, that's what I heard long time back.

Well may be we can renew the license after 10 years :)

there are some international agreements, conditions which prevents Russia from selling nuclear sub, that's why we are taking it on lease, that's what I heard long time back.

Please correct me, if am wrong, but India did chip in heavily (monetarily) while the submarine was constructed so there could be a possibility of purchasing the sub at the end of lease. Although missiles might not be a part of the system, but that can come in through some other route in the name of co-operation.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom