What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

@Abingdonboy Dude, no needs for thanks. We just did our duty. Like you do. Talking about India and spreading it. :D

We all know that because of you, India will have good reputation among people around you.

That's one of the best type of service to nation.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Abingdonboy @KRAIT @arp2041 @Koovie @kurup

Well this just in:- How legit is this?

If not, then it would not have officially gazzetted the official sanctioned strength of SPB at 15,000. But realising this figure takes a long time since this requires a quantum expansion of existing shore-based & offshore training facilities (like the ones now coming up in Kakinada), firing ranges, accommodation for personnel, etc. By 2018, it is estimated that the SPB will reach its full-strength in terms of both manpower & firepower, plus its various logistical elements minus the four LPHs.

The concept paper for the SPB was ready in 2004 itself & by 2006 had been refined & frozen by IN HQ & was sent to the MoD & Union MoF for approval. However, it was finally approved as a matter of urgency after the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai.

It is not the SPB’s mandate to provide protection for civilian areas under 26/11-type attacks. As the name suggests, SPB is an expeditionary warfighting force throughout the seas. That’s the literal translation of the term SPB. And why should MARCOS train the SPB? The roles & missions of MARCOS are totally different from those of the SPB.

As for why the ‘desi’ mass-media has failed to report about the SPB in detail, I guess the ‘desi’ news-reporters are too lazy to read up the official Govt of India gazettes that are routinely published & are available for sale in any Govt-owned bookshops throughout the country,
However, the concept paper for SPB, titled “Effecting Maritime Manoeuvres From The Sea” remains out-of-bounds for the time-being.

The above are quotes from Prasun Sengupta's posts on his blog on the topic of SPB. Scroll down to find the remarks, in the following link that is :-TRISHUL: Updates From 12th Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition (LIMA 2013) Between March 26 & 30

"Prahaar" means "to attack". Sagar Prahaari Bal translates to Sea Offense Squad :P

Prahari is someone who Prahars,attack is the perfect word,its a offensive unit

@Abingdonboy @KRAIT @arp2041 @Koovie @kurup

Well this just in:- How legit is this?

The above are quotes from Prasun Sengupta's posts on his blog on the topic of SPB. Scroll down to find the remarks, in the following link that is :-TRISHUL: Updates From 12th Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition (LIMA 2013) Between March 26 & 30

All Q&A related to SPB by PKS.

Bhaswar - What exactly is the use of the LDPs in the hands of the IN, we have not been very keen on a marine infantry capability in the past?

Prasun K. Sengupta - By the time the LPHs enter service, the IN will have a 15,000-strong Sagar Prahari Bal force.

Unknown - How well trained and equipped will this "15,000-strong Sagar Prahari Bal force" be?

And where are they being trained?

I've not heard anything along the lines of the IN rasing their own Marine-infantry unit only the SPB where to protect vital IN installations and numbered 2,000.

Now they are a Marine infantry unit?

Will they have their own artilliery peices, ICVs, MBTs, aviation elemants, training centres, combat engineers etc?

Can you do a full write up on the Sagar Prahari Bal? This is a big moment in Indian military history if true, to date the Indian military has had nothing of the sort other than a few IA btns stained,somewhat, in amphibious landings but ill-equipped to do so by modern standards.

Prasun K. Sengupta - The SPB’s total sanctioned strength can’t be raised in three years or even six years. Training is done in Orissa & Kakinada. SPB’s sanctioned strength is clearly mentioned in the MoD’s official gazette issued two years ago. I had already explained this back in late 2011 & had outlined the future plans for SPB’s hardware reqmts. I had drafted a confidential paper & related PowerPoint presentation for HQ Integrated Defence Staff in mid-2011 on the SPB, but & NCND regulations prevent me from disclosing the contents of such presentations.

Bhaswar - For what purpose is the Sagar Prahari Bal being deployed? As in how do you see them operating in the future and towards what goal?

Prasun K. Sengupta - SPB is initially being employed for the protection of all shore-based operational naval establishments. It will eventually grow into a full-fledged 15,000-strong naval infantry force capable of staging amphibious assaults.

KSingh - I understand you are bound by certain restrictions to keep silent on certain specific details. But can you please share some of the most general details wrt the SBP.

Will they be well equipped and well trained for their role?

What will be their standard issue assault rifle?

Given the fact the IA is upgrading itself wrt FINSAS, will the SPB have similar tech and provisions?

Is the MoD taking the raising of SPB seriously? Are the IN going to raise them "properly" is wih sufficient funds and training?

Also will they have the requisite logistical elements is engineers, EOD, arty, EME etc?

Will the UCM camo and Tavor be the standard "look" of the SBP as you have speculated in the past?

When can we expect the SPB to be at full strength?

Do you not agree the raising of this force is a signifcant moment for India?

Prasun K. Sengupta - O yaara, of course they will be well-armed & adequately equipped, as is the case with every other fighting unit of India’s armed forces. They certainly won’t go to war with bamboo sticks or batons on bicycles. Tavor family of assault rifles & cerbines along with Galil LMGs have already been issued. SPB will have its own version of FINSAS, i.e. the integrated combat system, for which the RFI was released last year. Of course the MoD is taking such issues seriously. If not, then it would not have officially gazzetted the official sanctioned strength of SPB at 15,000. But realising this figure takes a long time since this requires a quantum expansion of existing shore-based & offshore training facilities (like the ones now coming up in Kakinada), firing ranges, accommodation for personnel, etc. By 2018, it is estimated that the SPB will reach its full-strength in terms of both manpower & firepower, plus its various logistical elements minus the four LPHs.

The concept paper for the SPB was ready in 2004 itself & by 2006 had been refined & frozen by IN HQ & was sent to the MoD & Union MoF for approval. However, it was finally approved as a matter of urgency after the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai.

KSingh
- But what I meant was well armed and trained relative to the likes of comparative units in the West. Say if you look at the standard IA soldier right now and his US counterpart. Whilst India might consider their Jawan well equipped, by international standards it is pitiful. I know the F-INSAS effort will go some way to address this though.

And how will the SPB protect against a 26/11 type attack in the future? If they are being raised along the lines of the USMC then they are an expeditionary fighting force.

Also who are training these guys? MARCOs?

Also does the IN then have more ambitious plans for the SPB's future expansion adding not just numbers but also capabilities like MBTs, ICVs, artillery,snipers, combat engineers etc?

Also why has the raising of this force been comedy ignored by the Indian media, I mean this is HUGE news and is going to bring capabilities to India we could only dream of in the past.

And sir, whilst you may have mentioned these guys in breif in the past I was wondering if you could do a full and detailed write-up on the SPB is about its roles, training, cabilities, future capabilities etc? I would LOVE to know more on these guys.

Prasun K. Sengupta - No one can claim to be on an even par with US soldiers. Nor is it necessary to always make the US the measuring yardstick. The fighting unit of today hailing from the Indian Army is a far cry from what was seen by all during OP Vijay in 1999 or OP Parakram in 2002, even with FINSAS. It is nopt the SPB’s mandate to provide protection for civilian areas under 26/11-type attacks. As the name suggests, SPB is an expeditionary warfighting force throughout the seas. That’s the literal translation of the term SPB. And why should MARCOS train the SPB? The roles & missions of MARCOS are totally different from those of the SPB.

Just read this: TRISHUL: Indian Navy Swears By Its Tavor Family Of Small Arms & Its Four Upgraded Class 209/Type 1500 SSKs & go to sub-section: Required: More Teeth For Sea Warriors

As for why the ‘desi’ mass-media has failed to report about the SPB in detail, I guess the ‘desi’ news-reporters are too lazy to read up the official Govt of India gazettes that are routinely published & are available for sale in any Govt-owned bookshops throughout the country.

However, the concept paper for SPB, titled “Effecting Maritime Manoeuvres From The Sea” remains out-of-bounds for the time-being.

KSingh - I agree the MARCOs are not the ideal trainers for the SPB, but then who is training this force? The IN,other than in the MARCOs, does not have any of the requisite skilled instructors in expeditionary warfare or amphibious assault. This knowledge has to come from somewhere to impart on the SPB. Has the IN then hired foreign consultants from the like of the US or France?

Prasun K. Sengupta - As for SPB’s training-related issues, the IN has for almost a decade now been sending its officers as observers to various amphibious training exercises conducted by PACOM throughout East Asia & the Western Pacific, & a lot has been learnt from such activities. One therefore doesn’t require foreign consultants. 12-tonne MRHs & LCACs will come along with the LPHs. Kakinada will in future become one of two integrated amphibious warfare training centres of the Indian Navy, with the second one coming up along India’s southwestern seaboard around Ezhimala.

ads_3.png

1)INS Virat has been refitted.
2)ADS-1 ramp is almost complete.

Back
Top Bottom