What's new

Indian Navy inducts nuclear submarine INS Chakra

trident2010

Reaction score
Country
India
Indian Navy inducts nuclear submarine INS Chakra

ins_chakra2.jpg

New Delhi: The first operational nuclear attack submarine INS Chakra has been inducted into the Indian Navy in Visakhapatnam on Wednesday. Speaking on the occasion, Defence Minister AK Antony said that the INS Chakra will ensure security and sovereignty of the country.

Antony formally commissioned the Akula II class Nerpa rechristened INS Chakra into the Navy at the Ship Building Complex.

India has earlier leased and operated Charlie Class Russian nuclear submarine from 1988 for training its personnel on such submarines.

With INS Chakra and the indigenous INS Arihant expected to start operational patrols soon, India will soon have two nuclear submarines guarding its vast maritime boundaries.

The Nerpa has been taken on lease from Russia for ten years and would provide Navy the opportunity to train and operate such nuclear-powered vessels.

Indian Navy inducts nuclear submarine INS Chakra - India News - IBNLive

Zeenews Bureau

Vishakhapatnam: After a gap of two decades, India joined the elite club of nations having nuclear-powered submarines with the induction of the Russian-origin 'Nerpa' into the Navy Wednesday.

Defence Minister AK Antony formally commissioned the Akula II class Nerpa rechristened INS Chakra into the Navy at the Ship Building Complex here today morning.

India has earlier leased and operated Charlie Class Russian nuclear submarine from 1988 for training its personnel on such submarines.

With INS Chakra and the indigenous INS Arihant expected to start operational patrols soon, India will soon have two nuclear submarines guarding its vast maritime boundaries. The Nerpa has been taken on lease from Russia for ten years and would provide Navy the opportunity to train and operate such nuclear-powered vessels.

"Our crews will get the experience of operating under water for several months at a go as unlike the conventional diesel electric submarines, which have to come to surface at regular intervals, nuclear submarines can remain under water for months," Navy officials said.

India had signed a deal with Russia in 2004 worth over USD 900 million for leasing the submarine. It was expected to be inducted a couple of years earlier, but after an accident in 2008, in which scores of Russian sailors died during trials, the delivery schedule was changed.

Indian Navy crews have already been imparted training for operating the submarine in Russia.A crew of over 70 people including around 30 officers is required to operate the INS Chakra.

The heart of the submarine is its nuclear reactor which has been made by Russia. Its displacement is around 8,140 tonnes. With a maximum speed of 30 knots, the vessel can go up to 600 meters in water and has an endurance of 100 days with a crew of 73.

The vessel is armed with four 533mm torpedo tubes and four 650mm torpedo tubes.

The indigenously built Arihant is also expected to join the naval fleet soon as DRDO chief V K Saraswat recently said that "it is in advanced stages. It will be ready for operations in next few months".

India is also working to develop arsenal for Arihant as it has already carried out more than 10 test launches of the K-15 missile (also known as Sagarika) in the Bay of Bengal.

The nuclear-capable ballistic missile is said to have a range of over 700 kms and the premier research agency plans to increase its strike range in the near future.

The Nerpa was handed over to the Indian Navy after the completion of trials in December last year.

With PTI inputs

The indigenously built Arihant is also expected to join the naval fleet soon as DRDO chief V K Saraswat recently said that "it is in advanced stages. It will be ready for operations in next few months".

India is also working to develop arsenal for Arihant as it has already carried out more than 10 test launches of the K-15 missile (also known as Sagarika) in the Bay of Bengal.

Good developments Indeed.. Arihant will join INS soon...

Well done India, really happy from a personal point of view that India is starting to arrive on center stage, we need more peaceful nations like India to lead the world, take your time you will get there, in only 63 years India has risen so much, massive respect to you country. :cheers:

Well done India, really happy from a personal point of view that India is starting to arrive on center stage, we need more peaceful nations like India to lead the world, take your time you will get there, in only 63 years India has risen so much, massive respect to you country. :cheers:
65 years to be exact :tup:

Saw this today in the news .
This submarine had to be inducted years before but due to some russian soldiers death in the trial , it was postponed .
BTW it can remain in water for 100 days :cheesy: , isnt it amazing

Sorry 65 years, still a massive achievement, but I know that a lot of you know that there is still a long way to go, but the turtle always wins the race in the end, slowly and steadily, once again hats off to your country.
I dont care about the turtle and all that stuff , all i know is that my country is rapidly developing and that too in a neibhouring environment which is not favourable for growth at all !! Hopefully we can consistently grow for the next 35 years as well ! Cheers man :cheers:

Is there a plan to lease one more nuclear sub from Russia, if yes than when can it be expected to join the navy?

Saw this today in the news .
This submarine had to be inducted years before but due to some russian soldiers death in the trial , it was postponed .
BTW it can remain in water for 100 days :cheesy: , isnt it amazing

I dont care about the turtle and all that stuff , all i know is that my country is rapidly developing and that too in a neibhouring environment which is not favourable for growth at all !! Hopefully we can consistently grow for the next 35 years as well ! Cheers man :cheers:

Exactly my point, it's amazing for an outsider like me and the rest of the world to see India rise when they are surrounded by nations that would like nothing but to destroy them. It's a lot like Israel as well, no wonder India and Israel are getting so close they both face similar situations, simply amazing, I am planning to come to India with my wife and kids end of the year. But I can;t start a thread yet, I have so many questions to ask.

Exactly my point, it's amazing for an outsider like me and the rest of the world to see India rise when they are surrounded by nations that would like nothing but to destroy them. It's a lot like Israel as well, no wonder India and Israel are getting so close they both face similar situations, simply amazing, I am planning to come to India with my wife and kids end of the year. But I can;t start a thread yet, I have so many questions to ask.
I'm sure ull have an unforgettable jouney here in India . BTW dont forget to enjoy GOA .

My friend who go often to India, can't stop talking about it, no I have time off work will be the best time to go, whats the weather like end of the year?

My friend who go often to India, can't stop talking about it, no I have time off work will be the best time to go, whats the weather like end of the year?

Winter is the best season to visit places. Nov to Jan is the best time. pleasent weather temp depends on wat place you are planing to visit.

by the way what places are you planing to visit.

if reach Pune I will definately like to help you around.

Why need another when we have Arihant Class Submarines under construction.

Arihant class is quite primitive.. it is single hull whereas most countries have long shifted to double hulls... Also, the diving depth of arihant is very poor... armament capability is rudimentary..

Winter is the best season to visit places. Nov to Jan is the best time. pleasent weather temp depends on wat place you are planing to visit.

by the way what places are you planing to visit.

if reach Pune I will definately like to help you around.

Not sure yet we are still researching and we have three young kids so will have to travel slowly as well, I know it can be hard to travel in India, but it's going to be a great adventure, at the moment we are still in the research phase, but I know we want to see the Taj Mahal, and go to some hill stations as well, Goa, Kerala, India is so huge I know we won't have time to see everything on this trip.

Back
Top Bottom