What's new

Indian Navy future plan ???

And lets not forget 4 LHDs.
Haha you just slapped @O.P.D with made in India slipper :p:

By 2027 our aim is to have 200+ fleet Navy you do the math @Zarvan and after that will be quite interesting part as when one project on frigate get completed new advanced version will be built!!! Our ship building capabilities will be like x 4 than it it today. Our aim is to have 3main supply line for SSK - P75 , then P75I then fully equipped service hub for kilos. . . Apart from this we can expect dedicated speeded up line for SSN and ssbn separately. I doubt we will let these supply lines dry after their orders. 4 helicopter carriers is the one to watch out for. This will have lots of export options so expansion in these front also expected. As far as combatants I must say there is no limit in this sphere at all. Orders will be keep track of ever. And old stuff replaced with new.

On your question on retirement. Navy vessels are not like airforce fleet. Each vessels can be mordenised with new technologies. It's about the maintenance of Hull and how much you are ready to pay for their health. Unlike aircraft frame hull is just a shape that keeps your equipment afloat. Good example could be ins virat retired and ins Vikrant.

I see more powerful IN in Asia as Chinese will have to replace large fleet of frigates and destroyers which they have to spend a lot insteed they would go for replacement with their manufacturer capacity. So by 2030 and beyond Indian Navy will form a great power projections away from your waters...

Guys by let say 2030 What is the size which Indian Navy wants or Indian plans to have for its Navy ? I mean How many major ships from that I mean Frigates and Destroyers and Corvettes and How many submarines along with fighter jets and anti submarine jets to back them up ????????????

@nair @MilSpec @SarthakGanguly @third eye @GURU DUTT @CONNAN
It would depend upon Chinese and US naval presence in the Indian Ocean

Okay and How many Frigates and Destroyers and Corvettes India plan to have ?
Sorry I have no idea about numbers. Navy wants to field three CBG one for arabian sea ,one for bay of bengal and third one as fall back option when one of them is in docks. SSBN will be 3-5 , independently deployed.

Sorry I have no idea about numbers. Navy wants to field three CBG one for arabian sea ,one for bay of bengal and third one as fall back option when one of them is in docks. SSBN will be 3-5 , independently deployed.
We don't need 3 aircraft carrier

India will probably have over 36 destroyers and frigates by 2025.

Two carriers third in build stage

Six nuclear subs

14/18 diesel subs

25 guided missle corvettes

My estimate for 2030:
3 Aircraft Carriers.
4 LHDs.( may be 2-3 active by 2030).
10 Destroyers( 7 AESA equipped).
20-22 Frigates( 7 AESA equipped).
4 SSBNs.
2-3 SSNs out of 6-8 planned.
15 SSKs of different classes.
40+ corvettes of different weight and role.
PS: apart from these, I am sure several new classes of warships would be planned or be under construction by then like I remember reading Indian Navy was interested in a new cruiser like warship post Vishakhapatnam class.

My estimate for 2030:
3 Aircraft Carriers.
4 LHDs.( may be 2-3 active by 2030).
10 Destroyers( 7 AESA equipped).
20-22 Frigates( 7 AESA equipped).
4 SSBNs.
2-3 SSNs out of 6-8 planned.
15 SSKs of different classes.
40+ corvettes of different weight and role.
PS: apart from these, I am sure several new classes of warships would be planned or be under construction by then like I remember reading Indian Navy was interested in a new cruiser like warship post Vishakhapatnam class.
Okay and now if we add new modern Patrol Class which are also mostly equipped with guided missiles and also FAST ATTACK CRAFT. Than we can safely assume Indian Navy soon would have 150 attack ships of various sizes

Okay and now if we add new modern Patrol Class which are also mostly equipped with guided missiles and also FAST ATTACK CRAFT. Than we can safely assume Indian Navy soon would have 150 attack ships of various sizes
Yes. OPVs, Inshore patrol vessels, fast crafts, mine sweepers(12), fleet tankers(9), LSTs, LCUs and other auxiliary ships will easily add up another 100+ ships. So number will cross 200.

For aircrafts:
45 Mig-29K/KUB.
50 aircrafts( yet to be decided).
~200 helis of different roles( asw/utlility/aew)
12 P-8Is.
12 new MPAs( yet to be decided)
5 Russian old MPAs.
50+ other light utility aircrafts( dorneirs and others)
20+ hawk trainers.

I see more powerful IN in Asia as Chinese will have to replace large fleet of frigates and destroyers which they have to spend a lot insteed they would go for replacement with their manufacturer capacity. So by 2030 and beyond Indian Navy will form a great power projections away from your waters...

???? Replace ships that are not even 20 years old???? Why?

What appears to be confirmed so far -

Destroyers >>

• 4 x Project-15B Visakhapatnam-class
  • 3 x Project-15A Kolkata-class
  • 3 x Project-15 Delhi-class (upgraded)

The existence of the Next-Generation Destroyer project (the Project-18 term is unofficial, mind you) has been somewhat confirmed. However details are not yet revealed, let alone the planned timeline. But I can say for sure that at least 2-4 of these NGD-class ships would be in construction by 2030. Total required numbers of the type could be atleast 8, but don't read too much into that just yet.

For the more immediate future, at least 2 more P-15B DDGs (on top of 4 already ordered) are likely.

Frigates >>

• 7 x Project-17A
  • 10 x Project 1135.6 Talwar-class (Krivak/Grigorovich)
  • 3 x Project-17 Shivalik-class (upgraded)

All Project-16 and Project-16A FFGs will be retired by 2030 and replaced with Adm. Grigorovich and P-17A respectively. There is also the possibility that P-17A order will be increased to 9 vessels.

Corvettes >>

• 4 x Project-28 Kamorta-class
  • 16 x ASW Corvettes
  • 7 x Next-Generation Corvette (NGC)
  • 6 x Next-Generation Missile Vessel (NGMV)

Additional Corvette contracts are likely, as are the possibility of Project-28 follow-on. But I don't know about them yet.

Flat Decks >>

• 1 x Project-71 Vikrant-class
  • 1 x Vikramaditya (Adm. Gorshkov)
  • 4 x LHDs (probably Juan Carlos I-class)

If we stick with existing plans and decide that the next indigenous carrier will be the ~65k ton CATOBAR, EMALS, Nuclear type, it's unlikely to be in service before 2030. However if IN seeks a sister-ship of the Vikrant-class, a 2nd IAC could be built of the same Project-71 class (or P-71A, whatever they decide to call it). This way, a 3rd carrier for IN is likely to atleast be in sea trials within 2030.

All 4 LHDs are likely to be service by 2030 only if the construction is split 2-2 between Spanish yards and a local one, and building starts at the same time, sometime within 2020.

I haven't included other surface types like FSSs, FRVs, OPVs, FAC/FAC-Ms, FPVs, IPVs etc.

Sub-surface vessels >>

• 3 x Arihant-class SSBN (S73)
  • 2 x Akula-class SSN (considering lease period is extended)
  • 1 or 2 indigenous SSN likely, more will be in sea trials, out of initially planned 6
  • Atleast 1 of the bigger follow-on SSBN-class w/ atleast 12 x silos and K-5 intercontinental SLBM, out of atleast 3
  • 8-9 x Project-75 Kalvari-class (Scorpene)
  • Atleast 3 x of Project-75I (hopefully will be improved Scorpene with AIP), out of 6

All U209s will be retired and I won't be surprised if most/all of the Kilo-class fleet would also be retired or laid off.

Aviation >>

• 45 x MiG-29K Fulcrum
  • Expect an order for between 50-80 Rafale-Ms
  • 44-60 x Sikorsky S-70B-2 Seahawk
  • 32 x Airbus H225M or Sikorsky CH-148 Cyclone (atleast)
  • 24 x Dhruv ALH
Unknown numbers of additional light/medium MRHs like Panther, expect around 56 or something

• Upto 26-30 MPAs will be needed.

I'd be happy if the whole fleet is made up of P-8I Neptune, which would replace both the Il-38SD Sea Dragon and the Tu-142M Bear-F in their respective maritime patrol roles (the Tu-142 might go on to serve as a missile-carrier/research aircraft or go into storage). If a split-order of MPAs is preferred, it means a turboprop-based aircraft will be bought for closer-to-coast duties (Airbus C-295W). And ofcourse there's the need for 12 x ShinMaywa US-2i amphibious aircraft.

Acquisition of types like E-2D Advanced Hawkeye AEW and V-22 Osprey variants will depend upon the future carrier decision to some extent. But either way, Hawkeye is inevitable.

Also there will be a larger, more sophisticated fleet of UAVs and Space-based systems. Expect a constellation of reconnaissance, surveillance/spy sats dedicated for Navy/Armed Forces.

Missile Systems >>

• BrahMos-2K Scramjet-based ASCM (based off 3K22 Zircon) will be available, likely forming the tip of the spear as far as surface-dominance goes, will start replacing BrahMos Block-I on some frontline combatants.
  • BrahMos-NG will be utilized by the smaller corvette-sized vessels (NGMV, NGC types).
  • Nirbhay LACM will be there.
  • DRDO-developed QRSAM would replace all Barak-1 PDMS units on pretty much all surface ships
  • Barak-8 and future 8ER will be standardized across the fleet, other versions might be developed.
  • Both the K-4 and K-5 SLBMs will be fully developed & ready. K-15 will be retired.

BMD? Too early to say now.

Last edited:
Guys by let say 2030 What is the size which Indian Navy wants or Indian plans to have for its Navy ? I mean How many major ships from that I mean Frigates and Destroyers and Corvettes and How many submarines along with fighter jets and anti submarine jets to back them up ????????????

@nair @MilSpec @SarthakGanguly @third eye @GURU DUTT @CONNAN
This is what minimum numbers would be.
4-5 boomers, 5-6 SSNs, 12 ssk, 3 carrier, 2 LHD, 12 destroyer, 23 frigates, 35 Corvette, 8 long range off shore patrol vessels, 6-7 replenishment ship, 8 minehunter.

40 single engine jets, 20 anti sub propeller planes, 4 strategic bombers, 100 modern anti submarine helicopters, 80 dual engine jets

3 (Perhaps 4, 1-2 Nuclear powered) Aircraft carrier, 8 SSBNs, 6-8 SSNs, 30 SSKs.
Three Carrier is confirmed, 8 SSBN is simply not possible considering SSN will be also in pipeline. More reasonable will be 4 small boomers with one big boomer inducted maybe around 2027-2028. And all six SSNs can't be inducted within a decade. More reasonable will be two from Russia and maybe 3_4 ours if we are really lucky. 30 ssks are again way off the mark, it will be probably around same figure of current maybe even less.

This is what minimum numbers would be.
4-5 boomers, 5-6 SSNs, 12 ssk, 3 carrier, 2 LHD, 12 destroyer, 23 frigates, 35 Corvette, 8 long range off shore patrol vessels, 6-7 replenishment ship, 8 minehunter.

40 single engine jets, 20 anti sub propeller planes, 4 strategic bombers, 100 modern anti submarine helicopters, 80 dual engine jets

Three Carrier is confirmed, 8 SSBN is simply not possible considering SSN will be also in pipeline. More reasonable will be 4 small boomers with one big boomer inducted maybe around 2027-2028. And all six SSNs can't be inducted within a decade. More reasonable will be two from Russia and maybe 3_4 ours if we are really lucky. 30 ssks are again way off the mark, it will be probably around same figure of current maybe even less.
what is boomers ?

Okay and How many Frigates and Destroyers and Corvettes India plan to have ?
If project 18 class destroyer comes online, figure can cross 12, otherwise restricted to under 10.

what is boomers ?
Boomer is SSBN, nuke powered boat with nuke ballistic missile. Nuclear powered ballistic missile submarine is called boomer in USN.

So I can easily estimate India have around 80 Frigates and Destroyers and Corvettes around 2025. And yes you did good by not including those ships which are going to be retired by Indian Navy in next few years.
I believe after reducing the retiring boats still number will be higher for boats equal or bigger than 1000 tons.

P18 is not official yet. Last P15B is scheduled for 2024. Chances of P18 ready by 2030 is less.

There will be follow on orders for kamorta. New 6 NGMVs and 7 Multi role corvettes RFIs are different class / requirement altogether.
P18 is confirmed for design and it will enter service around 2027-28.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom