What's new

Indian Muslims wary of Modi’s Hindu nationalist ties

One thing that I observed while listening to Indian Muslim leadership during recently concluded Indian elections was lack of vision and myopic view among them all just revolving around religion-quite disappointing .They need liberal leader ship that can create an impetus in community to contribute toward arts and sciences etc and socially liberal traditions, this will be the best way to counter right wing Hindu extremism rather than resorting to same.

Last edited:
it won't happen man,stop dreaming.
maybe 50 years done the line.
If you were following this elections closely, at some point, BJP said that they were considering removing third generation of a person who has got reservation , to be removed from thw quota. The reservation will reach out to needy and not the greedy. It is a privilege, not a right.

And muslims (backward) do get reservations under OBC.

If you were following this elections closely, at some point, BJP said that they were considering removing third generation of a person who has got reservation , to be removed from thw quota. The reservation will reach out to needy and not the greedy. It is a privilege, not a right.

And muslims (backward) do get reservations under OBC.

then bjp will loose the election in 2019,,,thats how complicated this issue is.

religion sucks and people following a religion blindly suck even more

are u smoking weed??
they have 0 reservation in jobs and education.

reservation is 22.5% for sc/st and 27% for obc's.muslims have nothing.

on the issue of smriti irani,,i am firm she is not qualified enough,anyone who is not even a graduate will have 0 idea of problems here

Dude, please do some research before arriving at such absolutist stances with no base whatsoever and accusing others of being high/intoxicated.

Muslims in Karnataka come under 2 reservation groups.

1. As part of Muslim communities that are recognized as OBCs
2. A separate 4% quota exclusively.

This actually covers a pretty large section of our Muslims.

Reservation issue and Karnataka Muslims, The Milli Gazette, Vol.5 No.17,MG111 (1-15 Sep 04)

Moreover, have a look at the number of Muslim groups recognized Nationwide as belonging to OBC category.

Press Information Bureau English Releases

• 03594166677226929.jpg

An Indian Muslim stands at a market place in Ahmadabad. (AP)
AJIT SOLANKI | AP

AHMADABAD: With his long beard and white skullcap, Mohammed Naseem makes no secret that he’s a devout Muslim in a country where Muslims are often persecuted.
Now, after Hindu nationalist Narendra Modi was sworn in as prime minister following a landslide election victory, Naseem and other Muslims in this country of 1.2 billion are watching the direction of their nation with a mixture of caution and fear.
Modi, who is Hindu like most of India’s population, has long had an uneasy relationship with Muslims, in large part because he, as chief minister of Gujarat state, was in command in 2002 when communal riots there killed more than 1,000 people, most of them Muslims.
“What happened in 2002 still affects the minds of Muslims,” says Naseem, a real estate broker who lives in Ahmadabad, a Gujarat city where some of the worst rioting occurred.
But like millions of others, Naseem despaired of the policy paralysis and economic downslide that marked the last decade under the Congress party.
“On development, (Modi’s) performance here has been very good. Now there are many Muslims who are supporting him,” Naseem said. He added that he hoped the media glare on Modi as prime minister would also keep him in check.
Modi, who was sworn in Monday, has denied any role in the violence, and the Supreme Court said there was no case against him, but the killings continue to affect Muslims’ perceptions.
Muslims account for more than 13 percent of India’s population and face no legal discrimination under the country’s secular constitution. But while many Indian Muslims have held high government offices — current Vice President Hamid Ansari is Muslim — the community is largely poor and fares badly on most socio-economic indicators such as health and education.
Many Muslims say they face discrimination, sometimes subtle and at other times blatant, when looking for jobs or renting a house. Intermarriage between the country’s Hindus and Muslims is still rare.
The center-left Congress party, which has ruled India for all but 10 years but was routed in the recent elections, has traditionally been seen as more favorable to Muslim interests than Modi’s Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party.
Modi’s own political career started with the Rashtriya Swayam Sevak Dal or the National Volunteers Association, a militant Hindu movement and parent organization of the BJP. The RSS has been widely accused of stoking religious hatred with aggressively anti-Muslim views.
Some Indians fear that Modi’s ties to the RSS may influence his decision-making. But Neerja Chowdhury, a political commentator and analyst, says that Modi, known for his autocratic and independent working style, will resist the pressure.
“The RSS will continue to have consultations with him but they will not be able to micromanage a person like Modi,” Chowdhury said.
“The compulsions of governance will also compel Modi to be neutral,” she added.
One of the BJP’s main promises to its largely Hindu supporters has been to construct a temple at the site of a 16th-century mosque in north India.
Over the years, the dispute triggered bloody communal violence.
In 1992, while the legal case to sort out the dispute lingered, tens of thousands of Hindu extremists, watched over by top BJP leaders and security forces, ripped apart the mosque with spades, crowbars and their bare hands.
The demolition sparked nationwide riots that killed 2,000 people and cemented the belief that India’s Muslims could not trust the BJP.
The area has since been split up between Hindus and Muslims by a 2010 court order, but the issue remains sensitive.
Modi’s convincing victory, however, suggests that many Muslims voted for the BJP anyway, out of concern for India’s economy.
The party grabbed 282 seats in the 543-seat Lok Sabha or lower house of Parliament.
“People were disgusted with corruption and price rise and therefore everyone, irrespective of religion, wanted a change,” said Ahmed Hussain, a school teacher in the northeastern city of Gauhati.
The most recent Congress-led government was mired in corruption scandals, and on its watch India’s economic growth slowed to less than 5 percent. Job growth has been poor and inflation high.
Modi’s campaign focused on Gujarat’s economic successes and promises that he could do the same across India. But for some Muslims, it is his handling of the riots that remains paramount.
“We know Modi’s past. He is communal to the core. His hands are stained with the blood of innocent Muslims,” said Monis Khan, a retired school teacher in the northern city of Lucknow.
“We are not afraid of him but we cannot rely on him,” Khan said.
“We Muslims have to watch his every move.”
Indian Muslims wary of Modi’s Hindu nationalist ties | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.
@nair @Areesh @Cherokee @OrionHunter @Aeronaut @IND151

Yar apne hisse ki mehnat to Muslman ko hi karni padegi....Sara time Majority ko gali nikal ke..aur sarkaar ko bura bol ke kuch nahi hone wala.....

Mauke sabko barabar hi milte hai...ab us auke ko kuch nahi kar ke barbaad karna hai to koi kuch nahi kar sakta...

Muslims have to come out of this victim mindset... on one hand they want to take pride in fact that they ruled the subcontinent for centuries during which they killed millions..

People remember Gujarat because first time in the history of the continent...Muslims were on the receiving end...every other riot in the subcontinent Muslims butchered people from other religion..

then bjp will loose the election in 2019,,,thats how complicated this issue is.
Dude, first comprehend the post, think rationally and then draw a conclusion.
Don't pull of things from nowhere. For the 10% who won't get reservations, there are 50% who would be happy. Even a fraction of them changes their mind towards Bjp, it won't make much difference.
Your one liner doesn't represent the facts on the ground.
Also do respect other members and their opinions. Many would refrain from engaging in discussions with you.

I can bet that Muslims of India under Modi will be treated as equal citizens. The problem of anti Muslim sentiment rose due to Congress vote bank politics by giving all sorts of quotas and reservations just to appease the Muslims. As a result Hindus were losing out which did not go down well with them creating a lot of friction.

Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, Christians etc are all Indians first. If India progresses, everyone does.

Dude, please do some research before arriving at such absolutist stances with no base whatsoever and accusing others of being high/intoxicated.

Muslims in Karnataka come under 2 reservation groups.

1. As part of Muslim communities that are recognized as OBCs
2. A separate 4% quota exclusively.

This actually covers a pretty large section of our Muslims.

Reservation issue and Karnataka Muslims, The Milli Gazette, Vol.5 No.17,MG111 (1-15 Sep 04)

Moreover, have a look at the number of Muslim groups recognized Nationwide as belonging to OBC category.

Press Information Bureau English Releases
Dude, first comprehend the post, think rationally and then draw a conclusion.
Don't pull of things from nowhere. For the 10% who won't get reservations, there are 50% who would be happy. Even a fraction of them changes their mind towards Bjp, it won't make much difference.
Your one liner doesn't represent the facts on the ground.
Also do respect other members and their opinions. Many would refrain from engaging in discussions with you.

i am not here to brush the issues aside like many people here,,,what i state is a fact.

by and large muslims have very little quota if at all in the central govt jobs,,,state govts tried but the west bengal and up's moves were dismissed by the high court.

on the issue though,try teaching this to an obc or sc/st and hear what they will say.u guys have no idea what reservation really is,i have seen bad days sue to it and i am convinced it will stay for another couple of decades at least.As majority of people have suddenly started thinking that bjp will magically remove these reservations when they won't even touch the issue,forget about any concrete action on the front.

And regarding not discussing with me,i don't really care about people who don't accept the truth.
Muslims have 1000 shortcomings but they have almost NIL reservation benefit compared to obc's and sc/st's and thats a motherfucking fact.

U can fight me on this whole day long,dosen't change a thing

I can bet that Muslims of India under Modi will be treated as equal citizens. The problem of anti Muslim sentiment rose due to Congress vote bank politics by giving all sorts of quotas and reservations just to appease the Muslims. As a result Hindus were losing out which did not go down well with them creating a lot of friction.

Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, Christians etc are all Indians first. If India progresses, everyone does.

Yar apne hisse ki mehnat to Muslman ko hi karni padegi....Sara time Majority ko gali nikal ke..aur sarkaar ko bura bol ke kuch nahi hone wala.....

Mauke sabko barabar hi milte hai...ab us auke ko kuch nahi kar ke barbaad karna hai to koi kuch nahi kar sakta...

Muslims have to come out of this victim mindset... on one hand they want to take pride in fact that they ruled the subcontinent for centuries during which they killed millions..

People remember Gujarat because first time in the history of the continent...Muslims were on the receiving end...every other riot in the subcontinent Muslims butchered people from other religion..

fair enough,who denies that.
but discussion was on muslim reservation

Muslims (particularly the poorer ones) need to start assimilating with the larger Indian society. If they for example have a problem with access to water, it automatically becomes a "vendetta against Muslims" and not a civic problem. They need to lose that chip on their shoulder and realize that India has its fair share of problems affecting everybody and not just Muslims.

Till they prefer to stay in Ghetto, they will always be sidelined.

i am not here to brush the issues aside like many people here,,,what i state is a fact.

by and large muslims have very little quota if at all in the central govt jobs,,,state govts tried but the west bengal and up's moves were dismissed by the high court.

on the issue though,try teaching this to an obc or sc/st and hear what they will say.u guys have no idea what reservation really is,i have seen bad days sue to it and i am convinced it will stay for another couple of decades at least.As majority of people have suddenly started thinking that bjp will magically remove these reservations when they won't even touch the issue,forget about any concrete action on the front.

And regarding not discussing with me,i don't really care about people who don't accept the truth.
Muslims have 1000 shortcomings but they have almost NIL reservation benefit compared to obc's and sc/st's and thats a motherfucking fact.

U can fight me on this whole day long,dosen't change a thing

fair enough,who denies that.
but discussion was on muslim reservation

Yeah, so any proof of Muslims having reservations in many parts of India does not constitute as fact? As I've consistently observed before, you simply construct a narrative for yourself on every issue and refuse to budge from it in the face of any proof. But what's worse is that you're not even prepared to concede facts for what they are. Maybe it's your ego, maybe it's something else. But either ways, the shyte-stirring goes ahead full-steam. Adios.

Yeah, so any proof of Muslims having reservations in many parts of India does not constitute as fact? As I've consistently observed before, you simply construct a narrative for yourself on every issue and refuse to budge from it in the face of any proof. But what's worse is that you're not even prepared to concede facts for what they are. Maybe it's your ego, maybe it's something else. But either ways, the shyte-stirring goes ahead full-steam. Adios.

again another stupid post.

1)they have no reservation on national level,none
2)what about up,bihar,gujrat,west bengal??

whats the reservation there?
u just provided a 4 percent reservation in karnataka as a proof

Did you even open the second thread that I had provided? Reread my first post and look at the number of Muslim communities that are part of OBC reservations nationawide.

But hey, all that is still not proof enough. Not to you by a long shot. ZERO reservations is what you'll continue to scream. So go ahead and neglect my stupid posts.:coffee:

Agreed........................ Modi ke against bas kuch bolne ka chance chahiye............So BAD.... Do din bhi nahi hue PM bane aur log uske.......

Agreed........................ Modi ke against bas kuch bolne ka chance chahiye............So BAD.... Do din bhi nahi hue PM bane aur log uske.......

u think i am anti modi??
lol

look at my negative ratings given by pakistanis before arriving at conclusions

Why should be there any reservations for Muslims...as they don't accept the caste system. While SC/STs suffered years of persecution...Muslims were by and large the ruling class.

Muslims that are accorded reservation as OBCs:

List of Muslim Other Backward Classes communities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom