What's new

Indian Military Picture Thread

Rashtriya Rifles works on COIN only with IA and not with J&K police which is a law and order force. the plain clothes person you might see are J&K SOG which is a irregular force. mainly drawn from affected communities and reformed militants.
Actually RR (Rashtriya Rifles) itself is drawn heavily from the local populance and it is one of few units in India which are sector specific (say Doda, Jammu, Sopore etc) and Operate only in J&K.

Nope..RR troops are not drawn from the local population..they are drawn from the various Infantry battalions and you are right about the sector specific thing..like Delta Force is for a patricular region and then there is Romeo Force for a specific region.

Secondly regarding the J&K Police..not only they have SOG but they also have Armed Police which are armed like Infantry Battalions and undertake operations.

And lastly..RR operates in North-east too.

sardar.jpg

Varieties of camo used by the Indian Military​

Possibly as early as the 1960s, India began reproducing the British-designed brushstroke camouflage pattern for use by its own Airborne and Para-Commando troops. The pattern continued to be used by these units into the 1970s and is apparently still seen occasionally among paratroopers on their airborne smocks. Several color variations have been documented, a feature that is not at all unusual with Indian made textiles.

34rdeyw.jpg

4j0qd5.jpg

The pattern that has come to be known as Indian DPM has no relationship to the British design of the same name. It is an overlapping pattern of green and brown palm leaf shapes on a khaki background, although there is a tremendous variability from very light to very dark. All manner of uniform styles have been produced in this pattern, as well as some pieces of field equipment. The pattern is often called "palm frond" or "Indian leaf" pattern.

9row2a.jpg

24v6zo8.jpg

2pr6vqs.jpg

op7jiq.jpg

1418owh.jpg

India at one point had a warm relationship with the Soviet Union, which may have prompted its adoption of a copy of the Soviet 1988 TTsKO tricolor woodland pattern, which has been worn by some Indian Army units in the 1990s. A faithful copy of the Soviet pattern, the fabric and uniforms are all locally-made.

2a9b61j.jpg

An interesting irregular stripe or brushstroke camouflage pattern has been attributed to use by several Indian Army units, including the Gurkha & Marattha Regiments, and those operating in the Maharashtra region of Central Asia. The pattern has also been worn by units of the Border Security Force.

spyqdl.jpg

2njd9ib.jpg

A blue variation of the standard Indian DPM pattern is worn by the Rapid Action Force (RAF) and the Civil Reserve Police Force (CRPF). This variation features overlapping dark and medium blue palm leaf shapes on a pale blue background.

2uhwdo5.jpg

Another variation of the standard DPM pattern having a brown-dominant colorway is documented in use by the Border Security Force (BSF). The pattern was first documented in 1992.

2v1xoit.jpg

Indian Army units based in Rajasthan are believed to wear a desert-themed "vertical lizard" pattern of rust and ochre stripes on a sandy background. This pattern first started appearing in the late 1990s also.

j8ebub.jpg

In the late 1990s, India began producing its own versions of the US m81 woodland camouflage pattern, with the usual variability as to color and fabric types. These have been worn by Indian Army personnel on UN deployments, and by Air Force Security Personnel.

2ijnqde.jpg

A three-color pattern featuring large brown & olive green patches on a khaki background has been observed in use by the Border Security Force and some Internal Security units since the late 1990s.

vqjk9i.jpg

An interesting leaf pattern variant has been observed among some Indian Army units since the late 1990s. The pattern has black, brown and green leaf shapes on a khaki background.

25gxfz4.jpg

A new general purpose pattern for the Indian Army appeared in 2006. The design is a horizontal pattern of black, brown and green shapes on a khaki-green background, with the Indian Army logo imprinted into the pattern. It is gradually replacing the old palm frond design, although both are likely to be in circulation for many years to come.

1zbuxe.jpg

The Indian National Cadet Corps wear a very bright pink variation of the standard Indian DPM camouflage design having overlapping purple and bright pink palm leaf shapes on an off-white background.

2m3qtfr.jpg

Some units of the Border Security Force wear a locally-produced variation of the German flecktarn pattern having dark brown and dark green dots on a khaki background. This pattern first appeared in 2008.

261jnfb.jpg

Indian Army and Police personnel serving in Kashmir have been observed wearing a three-color arid camouflage pattern having large blotches of dark green and reddish-brown on a pale green background.

dylydu.jpg

courtesy India - Camopedia

^^^ thanks for the info mate, any idea if F-INSAS incorporates a new camo or the 2006 horizontal is the standard camo from now on? Also what is the criteria for the issuing of the new camo? Why do the same units have different camos at the same time (IA/BSF)? Ie is the new camo given to all new recruits so it is phased out from the bottom up. Or given to certain units/ regiments over a period of time so there is commonality within regiments but not Army/ Paramilitary as a whole? I mean IA has had FIVE years now to phase out all old palm leafs and introduce new camo ( I know IA is HUGE but surely India with its huge manufacturing industry and cheap labour could have completed it by now).

^^^ thanks for the info mate, any idea if F-INSAS incorporates a new camo or the 2006 horizontal is the standard camo from now on? Also what is the criteria for the issuing of the new camo? Why do the same units have different camos at the same time (IA/BSF)? Ie is the new camo given to all new recruits so it is phased out from the bottom up. Or given to certain units/ regiments over a period of time so there is commonality within regiments but not Army/ Paramilitary as a whole? I mean IA has had FIVE years now to phase out all old palm leafs and introduce new camo ( I know IA is HUGE but surely India with its huge manufacturing industry and cheap labour could have completed it by now).

For right now I believe that the camo used in the F-INSAS project will stay with the horizontal pattern. The first phase of completion is due by 2012? Who knows, a lot may change by then.

There is a lot of science that goes into creating camo, however I'm unaware of any place that can be contacted regarding a request of issuing new ideas. It varies from which region the jawans are located.

Again I'm not very familiar of how or when these prints are phased out, as I work for Pixar :lol: All the info I found was here India - Camopedia
But the brushstroke camo is still used by the paratroopers which was given to the para commandos in 1970! Bureaucracy at it's best I tell yah :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom