What's new

Indian Foreign Policy: Paradigm Shift

There will be a joint session of parliament soon, most probably before Bihar elections....

Congress has refused to support BJP along with Left, JD, BJD, RJD, TMC and others in case of joint session

Two bills Land Reform Amendment and GST would make or Break Modi, if it is not implemented by April 2016 then Modi would have too little time and political capital to get FDI and make a difference on grass root level which can be appreciated by common man.
Congress obstructionism is going to cost India big.

There will be a joint session of parliament soon, most probably before Bihar elections....as for "make or break for Modi" not really true.. Bihar elections alone will suggest how 2019 elections go. besides in 2019 with congress vote shares dipping there wont be any real alternative...

Agree with that, India all along has been passive actor in international arena. Other than crowing about NAM and developing countries issues India hardly did any thing for itself. Most of the time when pakistan and other countries were targeting india in UN fora we scrambled to provide response. Now we are building alliances pro-actively seeking out avenues to neutralize adversary's advantage.

During Manmohan singhs era, bush administration was totally put off by india's non-active ambivalent attitude towards china. Though being passive has its advantage of been seen neutral and fair in other countries view. But it ended up giving encourage to countries like china, pakistan to take india for granted.

Of the late we have started reaching out to gulf countries to keep pakistan in check. China has been given right response whether it is SCS or activities in po k instead of being silent. Recent hot pursuit near myanmar border is a calculated move and right one. Kill the chicken to scare the monkey.
Having said we need keep up the pressure and play the game to our advantage . That can only happen if we walk the talk on Economy.

Reminds me of indian tour of australia, even though we failed to win the tests we did give them a bloody nose. As our economy grows we can be more assertive and regain our rightful place in comity of nations. Charltans who seek parity with India should be unmasked and shown their place.

India should pick a side, which side to pick is pretty obvious if you see current geo-strategic equation.

I don't believe Modi in his first term would go so far but in 2nd term we might see a concrete alliance depending on how much China's obstructionist attitude in UN, UNSC, NSG, MTCR etc

US and West's main reluctance behind throwing their full support behind India is that they cannot rely on India if things get tough. If India demonstrates willingness to be active on behalf of their interest we can see defense goodies like engine and drone tech, AC designs, nuclear reactors for sub, EMALS etc coming our way in addition to full NSG membership and good chance of UNSC membership.

Russia can be placated by giving them few major defense deals and keep their mothballing MIC surviving for another decade so that they remain relevant atleast militarily.

Modi doctrine has been successful so far.
How do I know?
I know it because my colleagues know Indian PM's name. :)
This must be the first time I've seen them talk about an Indian leader, MK.Gandhi is the only other exception, but unfortunately I don't like him(I've my reasons).
As an Indian I feel proud that finally India has reached a point from where it can dictate its terms. We are no more the underdogs.
@Spectre
A very well compiled article. :tup: :-)

Good thread

Undoubtedly modi has sought to bring in some of his personal charisma into foreign policy as most of his domestic policies have been utter failure but most of it has been hot air so far.

I belive @Spectre have been too charitable to Modi overlooking most of his pitfalls

.....................................................................................................

All in all I'd give him 3/10 for his overall efforts towards building an outward looking foreign policy

I am no Modi fan; but I need to know whether you only eat "Instant Noodles" and only drink "Instant Coffee" ?? :P

So far as Modi's governance and achievements, I'd wait for the half-way mark of his term; that will be a good enough time-frame to make any objective assessment.

Congress has refused to support BJP along with Left, JD, BJD, RJD, TMC and others in case of joint session

Wrong.... AIADMK and Congress and left are not in favour, rest are in favour of the GST bill. AIADMK will most probably turn around...

Modi doctrine has been successful so far.
How do I know?
I know it because my colleagues know Indian PM's name. :)
This must be the first time I've seen them talk about an Indian leader, MK.Gandhi is the only other exception, but unfortunately I don't like him(I've my reasons).
As an Indian I feel proud that finally India has reached a point from where it can dictate its terms. We are no more the underdogs.
@Spectre
A very well compiled article. :tup: :-)

Your colleagues know the name of Armstrong the Indomitable as well ? :azn:

Your colleagues know the name of Armstrong the Indomitable as well ? :azn:
Amyyyyy
I met a Kenyan today and his name is Armstrong. He reminds me of you during the training session. Lolzzz
Sorry for the off topic. :)

Amyyyyy
I met a Kenyan today and his name is Armstrong. He reminds me of you during the training session. Lolzzz
Sorry for the off topic. :)

Did you just compare a pure blooded Aryan with a Kenyan ? :azn:

Seems about right - Aryans and Africans are brothers ! :cheers:

Its the Dravidians from South India that I am at odds with...especially the coconut eating Malayalee from Malayalistan ! :angry:

Or was it Kerala ? :what:

Seems about right - Aryans and Africans are brothers ! :cheers:

Its the Dravidians from South India that I am at odds with...especially the coconut eating Malayalee from Malayalistan ! :angry:

Or was it Kerala ? :what:
Whateva!!!
Now stop trolling on spectre's thread, this is his first article on the forum. Capisce? :coffee:

I swear I am not lying. :)
I met him today morning.

I am no Modi fan; but I need to know whether you only eat "Instant Noodles" and only drink "Instant Coffee" ?? :P

So far as Modi's governance and achievements, I'd wait for the half-way mark of his term; that will be a good enough time-frame to make any objective assessment.

It's not about being modi fan or not any political observer would easily know that Modi is selling unrealistic pipedreams to gullible masses. Other than a few renamed Congress schemes, monthly foreign tours to please NRI crowd at tax payers expense nothing substantial have come out of his 16 month rule so far.

I agree, am no Modi Bhakt myself but I am observing a major shift in Indian policy. My objective was that discussion in this thread would extrapolate his actions in foreign policy and see how he deals with present and future challenges. How it heralds India's entry into game of Real Politiks. We have certainly stopped being naive little idiots believing in fairy tales of Panchheel and Non Alignment but would we take a step further and enter into some kind of alliance with west? Intervention in Afganishtan?

Does his economy driven foreign policy all that is or there is a driving goal behind it to bind certain countries closer to India who would be compelled to support India in order to protect their interests in case of sanctions/wars.

His Make in India is also not so single dimension as it suggests, does it harken sanction mitigation measures in face another nuclear test coming to reaffirm our thermo nuclear capability and establish a true deterrent against China.

Conspiracy theories or not, but never hurts to dig a little deeper.

@levina @Star Wars @magudi

Any and all realistic criticisms of Modi are most welcome.

India should pick a side, which side to pick is pretty obvious if you see current geo-strategic equation.
More than picking sides we should play both of them depending on scenario, just like france which has an independent foreign policy unlike britain. Intent is to keep our policy flexible like what china does trade and fight with enemy.

US and West's main reluctance behind throwing their full support behind India is that they cannot rely on India if things get tough. If India demonstrates willingness to be active on behalf of their interest we can see defense goodies like engine and drone tech, AC designs, nuclear reactors for sub, EMALS etc coming our way in addition to full NSG membership and good chance of UNSC membership.
More than technology it is the high place that matters once India breaks in, it wont need a god father. Once we get into MTCR or NSG there will competition among western countries themselves to provide goods and services. Problem with getting in bed completely with west is that they are totally unreliable and leave long lasting effects. Look at pakistan,south korea or ukraine instead of solving anything things only got worst.

UNSC membership will not be given by any one , we need to forcefully take it ourselves. If we build a strong and big navy to hold the trade in indian ocean under our control then we have a chance. UNSC is just a barometer of how much trouble you can create and control it.

Russians are going now where , china is longterm big threat to them. Mongolia , siberia and other territories are on the radar of chinese. If Russia weakens then china will run riot , it will be slow and creeping economic and demographic invasion.

More than picking sides we should play both of them depending on scenario, just like france which has an independent foreign policy unlike britain. Intent is to keep our policy flexible like what china does trade and fight with enemy.

More than technology it is the high place that matters once India breaks in, it wont need a god father. Once we get into MTCR or NSG there will competition among western countries themselves to provide goods and services. Problem with getting in bed completely with west is that they are totally unreliable and leave long lasting effects. Look at pakistan,south korea or ukraine instead of solving anything things only got worst.

UNSC membership will not be given by any one , we need to forcefully take it ourselves. If we build a strong and big navy to hold the trade in indian ocean under our control then we have a chance. UNSC is just a barometer of how much trouble you can create and control it.

Russians are going now where , china is longterm big threat to them. Mongolia , siberia and other territories are on the radar of chinese. If Russia weakens then china will run riot , it will be slow and creeping economic and demographic invasion.

Very well said. West is an unreliable partner but there is a window of opportunity here when they contest with China before withdrawing from Asia Pacific. If we offer them an alternative then they might agree to extend their stay otherwise in long term we see one whale-shark and one big fish in our pond. The fish needs a harpoon

China is the real issue, Pakistan despite hogging all media attention is just a side show, wish we would quickly disengage from Pakistan. No more foolish statements from Ministers and war mongering. We need space and an hostile Pakistan is a perception problem in global community as it hyphenates India along with it.

Back
Top Bottom