• Good

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Average

Votes: 53 20.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 47 18.0%

• Total voters
BEML Ltd. establishes Assembly Unit in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

Bangalore : BEML Ltd., a Mini-Ratna Category-I PSU under the Ministry of Defence, has established its Assembly Unit "BEML BRASIL INDUSTRIAL LTDA" at Rio De Janeiro, Brazil on 15th April 2009. The Company will assemble its products relating to Mining & Construction, Rail & Metro and Defence segments at this Unit and supply it to its prospective customers in and around Brazil. With the establishment of the Assembly Unit at Brazil, the Company would be promoting its sales to a greater extent with efficient after-sales-service support in all the provinces of Brazil and other Latin American Countries.
BEML BRASIL INDUSTRIAL LTDA has been inaugurated by Shri Pradeep Kumar, Secretary (Defence Production), Govt. of India in the presence of His Excellency Shri BS Prakash, Ambassador of India to Brazil and Shri V RS Natarajan, Chairman and Managing Director, BEML LIMITED.

BEML plans to achieve a business turn-over of atleast US$ 10 Million in 3 years and from its Assembly establishment in Brazil.

With the establishment of this full-fledged assembly unit at Brazil, BEML will target other Latin American countries like Suriname, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Bolivia, countries in the Caribbean belt and other accessible countries to develop its core businesses - in Mining & Construction, Rail & Metro and Defence Equipment areas as also in the Contract Mining since the Latin American countries form as the largest mining bowl of the world.

BEML LIMITED has export base in over 55 countries and the Company has achieved export business to the extent of Rs.300 Crores in 2008-09 and planning to perform almost double the volume during 2009-10. Apart from the Brazil Unit, the Company has its own Sourcing Office at China and International Warehouse-cum-Sourcing Office at Malaysia

BEML set to enter Tunnel Boring Machines Business

Bangalore : BEML LIMITED, a Mini-Ratna Public Sector Company under the Ministry of Defence, has signed a Memorandum of Agreement with NFM Technologies, France for the manufacture of Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) in India. BEML will take up the project at its Kolar Gold Fields (KGF) Plant. With this, BEML will be the very first Company in India for the manufacturing of Tunnel Boring Machines.

NFM Technologies is the second largest manufacturer of Tunnel Boring Machines in the World.

Both BEML and NFM will explore and exploit the opportunities for supplying TBMs to various projects in India and ASEAN countries.

Mr M Poongavanam, Director Mining & Construction - BEML Ltd and Mr Anand Menon, Southeast Asia Manager - NFM TECHNOLOGIES France exchanged copies of the MoA.

According to official sources, initially a 30 per cent localization is expected with BEML manufacturing major components at its KGF plant, while power packs, drive systems and other critical components will be supplied by NFM Technologies, France.

The on-going Bangalore Metro and the upcoming Metro projects of Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai, etc., would provide a promising market for the TBMs manufactured by BEML. The TBMs will also be used in making canals for Irrigation projects and hydroelectric projects.

The experience of NFM as Tunnel Boring Machine designer and supplier and the capabilities of BEML as large machinery manufacturer will go hand-in-hand for the success of the new venture of BEML.

Gandhi and Tagore are very famous in china,i love Tagore's poem,it's so romantic

true buddy,also you most probably read the english version of his poems.........the original bengali version is far more majestic and beautifull.......regards

Both of you guys make good arguments. I believe what Omar means is that Indians are very critical about themselves when talking to each other, but not with outsiders. My experience in India was shocking! When I was in India I read on newspaper and watched on TV all sorts of "crazy" India stuff.... stuff that would NEVER be revealed outside India. There's a stark difference in the image GOI portrays to world and to themselves. So in that way both you guys are correct.
Don't get me wrong ..but when you say never revealed outside india ..what do you mean by that...A example of an incident which you came across when you were in India which was not revealed outside India.

I am asking because the govt does not really censor the media.I am just curious.I just wanted a third man's perspective
Not entirely true. They are being defensive because the truth is painful to bear. Overseas Indians who are not nationalistic get along well with the rest of the world
How about overseas nationalistic Pakistani's...Do they get on well with the rest of the world.?

Homi Jehangir Baba

33ff014d1e4449e60bb7dfa7562f16b1.jpg
Homi Jehangir Bhabha popularly known as Homi Baba is the acknowledged founder and prime architect of the Indian Atomic Energy programme.

1944 was still one year before the world came to know of the ‘awesome’ potential of nuclear energy. The attainment of political independence and freedom from colonial rule was still some three years away. Except for one large integrated steel plant (the Tata Iron and Steel Company at Jamshedpur), and a few hydroelectric power stations (in the old Presidencies of Bombay and Madras), the demonstrated industrial or technological capability in the country was very little. In such a setting, where from did Bhabha derive his inspiration and confidence for launching a large programme in an advanced field of science and technology? To some extent the answers can be found in Bhabha’s early up-bringing in the cosmopolitan city of Bombay, and his later exposure to Western science, in the laboratories at Cambridge, in the United Kingdom, during the years 1927-1939, when epoch-making discoveries were being made, unravelling the sub-structure of the atomic nucleus, in course of time leading to the discovery of the fission of the uranium nucleus.

After passing his Senior Cambridge Leaving Examination (at the Cathedral High School in Bombay), Bhabha proceeded to England, in 1927, to join the Caius College in Cambridge to study engineering, but his heart was really in physics. And so, immediately after passing the Mechanical Sciences Tripos in 1930, he switched over to research in theoretical physics. During the period 1930-1939, Bhabha carried out outstanding original research relating to cosmic radiation, coming up with observations on the production of electron pairs in the interaction of cosmic radiation with matter, and also identifying muons - heavier than electron particles - as present in the penetrating component of cosmic rays. All this earned for him his election to the prestigious Fellowship of the Royal Society in 1940, at the young age of 31. During this period, Bhabha not only developed strong friendship with the scientists working in Rutherford’s Laboratory, including John Cockroft, Paul Dirac and W.B.Lewis, but also spent time with other leading physicists like Niels Bohr (in Copenhagen), Wolfgang Pauli (in Zurich), and Enrico Fermi (in Rome) - friendship that abided in the later years, when he started organising the programme in India.

Bhabha returned to India in 1939, and had to stay back on account of the out-break of the second world war. He elected to work at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, where C.V.Raman, India’s first Nobel Laureate in Science, was at the time Head of the Department of Physics. Initially appointed as a Reader, Bhabha was soon designated as Professor of Cosmic Ray Research. Apart from taking up experimental work in cosmic rays, Bhabha also pursued his natural interests in mathematics. And it was from Bangalore that Bhabha wrote that letter of 1944.

Bhabha’s leadership of the atomic energy programme spanned 22 years, from 1944 till 1966. The Tata Institute of Fundamental Research was formally inaugurated in December 1945 in ‘Kenilworth’ building, which was Bhabha’s ancestral home. During the period 1945 to 1954, the work of TIFR proceeded in temporary buildings in Bombay and covered the fields of nuclear physics and electronic instrumentation, in addition to cosmic ray experiments. Work on the permanent buildings for the Institute was commenced in 1954, with Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru laying the foundation stone, and was completed in 1962. In addition to his zeal for advanced science, Bhabha paid great attention to all aspects of aesthetic design, in the implementation of the programme in the different parts of the country. In particular, the TIFR is a magnificent edifice - surrounded by beautiful lawns and gardens - that stands out as a thing of great beauty, at Land’s End, in Bombay, facing the Arabian Sea.

Please don't get me wrong. :smitten: I truly don't give a hoots about GDP, what I'm more interested in is poverty relief AND standard of life (enjoyment). Money can NOT buy you everything. :cheers: Look at China's development at the cost of pollution. What I missed in China was blue skies and clean air. We Chinese know we sacrificed a LOT for our development.

Oh right. Poverty is a state of mind isn't it? A high growth rate, an enormous GDP is a pre-requisite for removing poverty. But its not the only thing. Yes China sacrificed a lot while trying to achieve a remarkable growth.

But lessons are there to be learnt from this by India as well. And it has. One of biggest example is introduction of CNG in order to replace use of diesel, petrol in public transport that amounted to 83% of Delhi's pollution. The implementation has been enourmously succesful and has been awarded international prizes. IT was succesful in bringing pollution down by nearly 90%. That's fantastic.

You forgot to mention these Proud Indians:

d1439a8fa5229c36ff00c2869398c481.jpg

Pranab Mukherjee

Bharat Varma

Atal Bihari Vajpayee

22ab1541ba18f027e1476cb347a9346e.jpg

Narendra Modi

Mayaben Kodnani

Last edited:
You forgot to mention these Proud Indians:

d1439a8fa5229c36ff00c2869398c481.jpg

Pranab Mukherjee

holds Masters degrees in History and Political Science, and an honorary D. Litt. A corruption free leader.

Bharat Varma
Views expressed by him are not the official view of the Indian Government

Atal Bihari Vajpayee
Masters degree in political science . A poet, eminent journalist, and has published a book of poetry. He is a bachelor.Visionary and the man who implemented projects to improve indias infrastructures starting with the roadways, indias Thorium research . Amidst sanctions , we have seen best foreign relations with many countries, including Arab world, Iran, China, Pakistan etc. Specially during his tenure relations with middle east was at its best after independence.
980eade7a89c4a07d7f800d5faa9813a.jpg
22ab1541ba18f027e1476cb347a9346e.jpg

Narendra Modi

masters graduate degree in Political Science from Gujarat University. He is known for being a poet and has published few book of poetry. He is a bachelor.
Vibrant Gujarat Global Investor Summit
VGGIS 2003 - Signed 76 MOUs worth US $14 billion
VGGIS 2005 - Signed MOUs for setting up projects worth INR 870 Billion
VGGIS 2007 - Signed 343 MOUs worth Rs 461835 crores. This includes Rs 14811 crore investments promised in 21 MoUs signed at an IT Summit. On the top of the investment brackets were 28 MoUs for Special Economic Zones with an investment tally of Rs 170,889 crores.
VGGIS 2009 - Signed 8668 MOUs having total investment of Rs.12,24,482 crores.
In VGGIS 2009 most prominent India Inc leader like Ratan Tata, Mukesh Ambani, Anil Ambani, Sunil Mittal etc projected Narendra Modi for India's Prime Minister Post. Tata group chief Ratan Tata, the chief guest on the occasion, echoed the general sentiment there when he said, It is stupid if you are not in Gujarat

Mayaben Kodnani

got anymore?

If we consider 10% growth from INDIA and 8% from CHINA that means, india will near $100bn in its GDP, and CHINA will add nearly $300bn,

Bro gap will still grow!

it is true but also factor in the time difference between when china opened its market and when india did the same and assuming the growth rate of 10 percent and 8 percent would remain in the future the compoundig factor should kick in ,which means that the gap should narrow down.

Oh right. Poverty is a state of mind isn't it? A high growth rate, an enormous GDP is a pre-requisite for removing poverty. But its not the only thing. Yes China sacrificed a lot while trying to achieve a remarkable growth.

But lessons are there to be learnt from this by India as well. And it has. One of biggest example is introduction of CNG in order to replace use of diesel, petrol in public transport that amounted to 83% of Delhi's pollution. The implementation has been enourmously succesful and has been awarded international prizes. IT was succesful in bringing pollution down by nearly 90%. That's fantastic.

hey sino ..i am of an indian origin but not an indian natioanl..we say and call poor whomsoever we think is below a certain strata .. i am in india nowadays on an official cum pleasure trip .i am a regular visitor to this country.. this notion that people earn $2 a day here so they are poor .. i differ . you can have 3 mac burgers here fr that much ..so yea the cost of living might be low here but here its not all what it seems..i have travelled to suburbs of NY and DELHI . i can tell you jersey is much worse . i have a pakistani origin firnd with me here on a project and he agrees.. people here dont like it if you call them poor ... the reasons they say is that their children are studyin and earning to live a simple life .. so you know what you need and how much is enough goes a long way in defining poverty

an interesting data on country classification.
source: world bank

DO OPEN THE URL TAILED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST

Definitions of groups

These tables classify all World Bank member countries (185), and all other economies with populations of more than 30,000 (209 total)...view all groups

Geographic region: Classifications and data reported for geographic regions are for low-income and middle-income economies only. Low-income and middle-income economies are sometimes referred to as developing economies. The use of the term is convenient; it is not intended to imply that all economies in the group are experiencing similar development or that other economies have reached a preferred or final stage of development. Classification by income does not necessarily reflect development status.

Income group: Economies are divided according to 2007 GNI per capita, calculated using the World Bank Atlas method. The groups are: low income, $935 or less; lower middle income, $936 - $3,705; upper middle income, $3,706 - $11,455; and high income, $11,456 or more.

http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXT...133150~piPK:64133175~theSitePK:239419,00.html

after having a look at the classification would suggest that china might rank higher in the per capita band(low middle income) and india would be somewhere in the middle of that band.. but the important thing is that both are extremely important countries and developing at a pace never seen before . once the effects trickle down to the masses .. well then the world would be a much stable place economically 'coz the demand would be huuugeeeee .. the advantages are complementary for both these economies and the world at large.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom