What's new

Indian diplomat's daughter files $1.5m suit against New York City

she's a top diplomat's daughter and she's going to public school???

in Queens??? Queens is a craphole, the laughing stock of NYC. I would have thought they'd be based in the heart of Manhattan!!!

sorry if i offended anyone here living in Queens :D

she's a top diplomat's daughter and she's going to public school???

in Queens??? Queens is a craphole, the laughing stock of NYC. I would have thought they'd be based in the heart of Manhattan!!!

Yeah maybe GOP likes to splurge its public money on its diplomat, GOI doesn't. And then you have the gall to laugh. There is nothing wrong with the American public school system.

_52958589_krittika2-intears.jpg

She's all shook up after spending 24 hours in jail? Is it just her or are women from the sub continent more prone to breakdown under similar circumstances?

Yeah maybe GOP likes to splurge its public money on its diplomat, GOI doesn't. And then you have the gall to laugh. There is nothing wrong with the American public school system.

Uhhh I wasn't making fun of public schools in USA I was just surprised that a diplomats daughter wouldn't be attending a private school. It just seems a bit unusual that's all..

actually american public school system is in some disarray look at DC public schools even...but there are states where they are topnotch. Depends on state I guess.

As for rest of your post, can't really disagree with it

She's all shook up after spending 24 hours in jail? Is it just her or are women from the sub continent more prone to breakdown under similar circumstances?
well she is probably a sheltered girl and besides I think anybody like that wud b a bit traumatized spending a nite in the cell with real criminals

24 hours seems a bit harsh for just an email....unless it had some terrorist threats or something like that which americans tend to take very seriously even if its a hoax

She was held in jail, suspended from school for one month, sent to a detention school, and on top of the that real culprit went scott free, wouldn't you feel wronged?

this news piece seems to signify another case where

''evil'' Chinese = 1

indian = 0

:laugh:

Wow. I thought you would be some boring guy who talks about Human rights abuses..

Here is another score, from last years protests.

Kashmiri Government = 100

Kashmiri Students = 0

Yes you are right. Laws of Land should be followed at any cost.

We also have to get the NY City PD side of the story. Indian girl claiming ..., Indian lawyer, Indian Journalist of MSNBC talking about it too. We have heard the Indian side, lets wait to hear the other side.

NY City is very diverse and they do not discriminate against people like that.

If the NYPD has not done any thing wrong they sould have come out with a explanation by now. If the same girl had been a daughter of VICE Council from Pakistan, by now you guys would have been burning the US Flag and would have atleast harrased all white colored torriest in Pakistan.
Hypocracy at its peek

1 $ = 45 rupees.

i think this reason is enough.

Going to US and earning the US currency is not going to change the above fact, but increasing the domestic output will do.
I don't see a reason other than earning big bucks. If you put the same effort in INDIA, INDIA's growth will be 3 times more than what it is now

There's scant coverage from the American press and what press there is devoid of the same outrage carried by the Indian papers.

Round-Up: The Strange Case of Krittika Biswas - India Real Time - WSJ

India’s media erupted with indignation today over the case of Krittika Biswas, the daughter of an Indian diplomat serving at the Indian Consulate General in Manhattan, who claims she was wrongfully arrested after being falsely accused of sending obscene emails to her school teacher, according to reports.

The 18-year-old was reportedly kept in custody for more than 24 hours on Feb. 8 and also was sent for more than a month to a special suspension program by her school despite being cleared by investigators. She filed a notice of claim May 6 saying that she is suing New York City, among others, for $1.5 million.

Ms. Biswas had reportedly tried to claim diplomatic immunity. But a U.S. State Department spokesman, Mark Toner, was quoted by NDTV as saying that the immunity does not extend to family members of diplomats.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. embassy in New Delhi said in an emailed statement: “We are aware of press reporting regarding filing of a lawsuit by the daughter of an Indian consular officer. However we have no comment on this ongoing litigation.”

The Deccan Herald reported that Krittika felt ill-treated in custody, saying: “Krittika alleged that she was not allowed to use the bathroom for a long-time”. It added some other unsavory details, “that she couldn’t drink water from a water fountain because it had another person’s vomit, and although it was really cold, she could not use the blanket because it was really dirty.”

In addition to the lawsuit, the girl’s lawyer also suggested that the City’s mayor, Michael R. Bloomberg, give her a key to the freedom of the city. But Mr. Bloomberg seemed unlikely to grant the request, according to The New York Post (which, like The Wall Street Journal, is owned by News Corp.)

Ms. Biswas is gaining some support for her plight on Facebook. A group called “’Krittika Biswas’-Price of Every Tear Will Be Paid” was set up this morning. The group as of Thursday afternoon had 86 “likes.” But it remains to be seen what broader ramifications her case may have. “We don’t know if such strange kind of events will really have an impact on India-U.S. relations,” said one Indian official.

This is a little contrived

The Deccan Herald reported that Krittika felt ill-treated in custody, saying: “Krittika alleged that she was not allowed to use the bathroom for a long-time”. It added some other unsavory details, “that she couldn’t drink water from a water fountain because it had another person’s vomit, and although it was really cold, she could not use the blanket because it was really dirty.”

I go through worse when I'm out drinking with friends. Waiting a long time in line for the bathroom, vomit in the sink, sleeping in a friend's spare without a blanket or AC.

And really? Really?

In addition to the lawsuit, the girl’s lawyer also suggested that the City’s mayor, Michael R. Bloomberg,give her a key to the freedom of the city . But Mr. Bloomberg seemed unlikely to grant the request, according to The New York Post (which, like The Wall Street Journal, is owned by News Corp.)

She was held in jail, suspended from school for one month, sent to a detention school, and on top of the that real culprit went scott free, wouldn't you feel wronged?

Sure she's entitled to feel aggrieved, anger I can understand but breaking down and sobbing uncontrollably in public?

I guess Abu Zolfiqar is right she probably led a sheltered life, not atypical for girls raised in India?

Sure she's entitled to feel aggrieved, anger I can understand but breaking down and sobbing uncontrollably in public?

I guess Abu Zolfiqar is right she probably led a sheltered life, not atypical for girls raised in India?

I doubt every girl in India is raised as a pampered diplomats daughter.

This is a little contrived

I go through worse when I'm out drinking with friends. Waiting a long time in line for the bathroom, vomit in the sink, sleeping in a friend's spare without a blanket or AC.

And really? Really?

You have no one to blame than yourself for this but in this case the poor girl was made to endure this. There is a difference.

I don't know about US, but here arrest and police custody is not something that everyone looks forward to.

@Cardsharp just wondering, are you the city of New York? or an American tax payer? Why are you so but*hurt. If she has a case she ll get compensated, if she doesn't she won't. You and me will never know what it feels like to be wronged.

I don't know about Chinese culture, but in Indian culture, issues like a kid getting accused of sending offensive email to their teacher, is a pretty big deal. I can only imagine what she had to go through for that one month. Indian parents aren't the most understanding type.

Back
Top Bottom