What's new

Indian diplomat's daughter files $1.5m suit against New York City

If they ill-treated a terrorist or an extremist, then no-one will care about that..

They ill-treated an innocent girl without any evidence... and you don't need to worry, she claimed the suit from the US not from pakistan...

dont drag pakistan in you pervert

India steps in, takes up matter of diplomat's daughter with US

The Indian government has taken "very seriously" the matter of a diplomat's daughter being illegally arrested in New York, even as the US administration claimed that family members of diplomats do not enjoy immunity. "It is a case which the embassy has taken up very seriously with the US government,

" India's Ambassador to US Meera Shankar told reporters here, after a meeting with Home Minister P Chidambaram.

Krittika Biswas, an 18-year-old student of John Bowne High School and daughter of Debashish Biswas, vice consul (administration) at the Indian Consulate General in New York, filed a notice of claim May 6.

She said her claims of diplomatic immunity were ignored when she was handcuffed and locked up for more than 24 hours Feb 8 after a "shoddy" probe by administrators into alleged obscene emails sent to two teachers in her school.

"When she was apprehended, we worked through the night as we got the information in the night. We woke up the US officials in the night and got her released the next day," said Shankar.

She indicated that Biswas had filed the claims case after permission from the Indian embassy.

"Now she has sought permission to file a case against the US authorities and she is fighting it. Subsequent to her release, we have conveyed our concern to the US government about the way she was treated. The case is obviously a matter of concern to all of us," said Shankar.

In Washington, the US state department reiterated its long-standing position that diplomatic immunity does not extend to family members.

"My understanding is that as a family member of consular officer, rather, she does not enjoy immunity from jurisdiction or inviolability," State Department spokesman Mark Toner told reporters Wednesday.

"The Vienna Convention on Consular Affairs provides that consular officers are not liable to arrest or detention pending trial, except in the case of a felony where a court warrant is required," he said. "But that provision does not apply to family members."

Toner acknowledged that diplomats' family members carry a diplomatic passport, "but again, our understanding is that these provisions, however, don't apply to their family members and that this is different for consular officers versus those in the embassy".

The spokesman insisted that the incident would not affect US ties with New Delhi saying, "The US-Indian relationship, I would counter, has never been stronger."

"We've got a strategic partnership in place. We're cooperating at an unprecedented level on education and science and technology, as well as economics, trade, health, agriculture.

"You name it - the sector - we're cooperating with India well in it. And this is obviously to the benefit of the citizens of both our countries, rather," Toner said.

Asked if the US had received any communication from New Delhi on the New York incident, the spokesman said: "Not that I'm aware of. But again, this is a matter of ongoing litigation, so I'm limited."
link : Govt steps in, takes up matter of diplomat's daughter with US - Hindustan Times

Good to know we have some hard workers in our MoEA ....they are prepared to back their citizens irrespective of whether --

they be kidnapped in Iraq, racially attacked in Aus or unjustly detained in the U.S of A ..... :cheers:

This is weird , watching American movies and american media in general gave me a very different picture of American police and american jails .

Is all that a lie ?

i was with a Bahraini friend back in late February; his father's in the Bahraini embassy and he has a State Department issued diplomatic immunity card. We were pulled over in his Vette on Washington DC's Connecticut Avenue (one of the main arteries of the city) going 140 miles per hour (according to the cop) in a 35 mph speed limit zone....

neither I the passenger nor the driver were arrested. And wreckless driving and going more than 4 times the speed limit is an arrestable offence. All he did was show the card, cops abused us and told us to stop being crazy -- then we were sent on our way.

reasons im saying all this is because State Department is supposed to treat kin with diplomatic immunity as well --excpet in very extreme cases.

i guess this indian girl's family lacks any influence or sway, or they are just janitors with 25% immunity onleee :laugh:

In the US, it's one day in jail for each 1 mph over the speed limit for reckless driving. This is usually a mandatory sentence. Your friend was looking at 105 days in a US jail if he didn't have immunity.

This Indian isn't getting $1.5 million. $10,000 max or the judge will throw it out.

In the US, it's one day in jail for each 1 mph over the speed limit for reckless driving. This is usually a mandatory sentence. Your friend was looking at 105 days in a US jail if he didn't have immunity.

This Indian isn't getting $1.5 million. $10,000 max or the judge will throw it out.

depends on the state or country.....

in our case, if he didnt have immunity then pulling over would have been stupid. He was a tiny speck in the rearview, but I told him to pull over cause he was freacking out. Pretty knuckle-headed move on our part, but oh well.

and the REAL funny thing is, he didnt even have registration or a license. All he had was his immunity card, and a shady looking Arabic document which was proof that the car was shipped to the United States. :laugh:

No Gitmo for us :D

as for this bharti situation.......you see, America is known for its fair judicial/litigation system and its seemingly endless appeals system. $1.5m may be extreme, unless she can prove how mentally tormented she was and all that other emotional crap. It is bizarre she got locked up.

Perhaps they'll try to settle it out of court. Maybe a 10 year free supply of the '''fair & lovely'' and a few subscriptions to Maxim :rofl:

depends on the state or country.....

in our case, if he didnt have immunity then pulling over would have been stupid. He was a tiny speck in the rearview, but I told him to pull over cause he was freacking out. Pretty knuckle-headed move on our part, but oh well.

and the REAL funny thing is, he didnt even have registration or a license. All he had was his immunity card, and a shady looking Arabic document which was proof that the car was shipped to the United States. :laugh:
No Gitmo for us :D

as for this bharti situation.......you see, America is known for its fair judicial/litigation system and its seemingly endless appeals system. $1.5m may be extreme, unless she can prove how mentally tormented she was and all that other emotional crap. It is bizarre she got locked up.

Perhaps they'll try to settle it out of court. Maybe a 10 year free supply of the '''fair & lovely'' and a few subscriptions to Maxim :rofl:

Oh god...You and your tall tales...

Seems to be a complex of sort to try to measure up somehow....

There is NO way in hell that a person driving without License or registration will be allowed to continue on without the driver being detained and the car being in Police custody until the origin of the car is confirmed....and trust me...shady "arabic" documents dont count...
Do you really expect us to believe that the person was just allowed to just mosey on along without key documents OR insurance?

Note...unlike the Pakistani audience you're trying to "shock and awe" with your supposed wild stories....the rest of us arent living in a vaccum...

if you're gonna spin a yarn....at least make it believable...LOL!

I have my doubts about the "vette" part as well...

Oh god...You and your tall tales...

Seems to be a complex of sort to try to measure up somehow....

There is NO way in hell that a person driving without License or registration will be allowed to continue on without the driver being detained and the car being in Police custody until the origin of the car is confirmed....and trust me...shady "arabic" documents dont count...
Do you really expect us to believe that the person was just allowed to just mosey on along without key documents OR insurance?

Note...unlike the Pakistani audience you're trying to "shock and awe" with your supposed wild stories....the rest of us arent living in a vaccum...

if you're gonna spin a yarn....at least make it believable...LOL!

I have my doubts about the "vette" part as well...

this is an internet forum, i have no reason to lie. I'm just telling you things exactly as they happened. If you hold a State Department ID and have immunity, you simply cannot be arrested or even detained. The car (which has a diplomatic plate) cannot be towed --unless involved in an accident --especially one in which there were fatalities.

and the origin of the car is determined by the VIN number --which is known to the State Dept. and DMV and is ascertained by the plate number of the car. It's not so complicated

as for the ''Vette'' part i dont see what's unbelievable about it. It was a C5 z06 which was shipped over. Embassy pays for that.

i only brought up the example because of how odd that something more serious would be let go, but then some bharti damsel like this girl was forced to pee in front of other inmates at a holding facility (as if she expected some VIP arrangmenets)

oh and by the way -- I dont think he even had his proof of insurance either :lol:

the only new policy they have for diplomats is that they (or rather the embassy) is obligated to pay parking fees. I dont think cars can be booted for derelict payments, but they can be ticketed for parking violations. And it's the Gulf Arabs who are actually the biggest culprit of it all. My office is a stone's throw away from the Saudi embassy and i cant even begin to tell you how bad they are with their parking jobs. Blocking hydrants, double parking, etc.

Back in Pakistan....The "America return" tag gives you the immunity to make even the unbelievable happen....

He's only catering to his audience bro....

Nothing new for that bolded part unfortunately :rolleyes:

Diplomatic immunity is diplomatic immunity. No traffic cop in the US is going to violate some Geneva convention, be suspended and file tons of paperwork for a moving violation. Yes, they would let the guy go.

Doing 140MPH in a 35 speed zone? :rofl: what can I say ..such cool guys :rofl:

OK there..that is what you wanted right?

No. Which is why i made it clear its not something im proud of at all.

if you see the road im talking about at 2 in the morning, it'll be a lot more plausible. Apart from traffic lights, there are parts where it's pretty much straight road. DC is AWASH with police, it was a dumb thing to do.

again, i cited it as an example. Not for bragging rights. It's not even my car nor was i the one driving so no need to point fingers at me.

it is funny though that America is trying to get cozy with indians but still treats the family of their diplomats like dust on a piano.

as for the ''Vette'' part i dont see what's unbelievable about it. It was a C5 z06 which was shipped over. Embassy pays for that.

i only brought up the example because of how odd that something more serious would be let go, but then some bharti damsel like this girl was forced to pee in front of other inmates at a holding facility (as if she expected some VIP arrangmenets)

oh and by the way -- I dont think he even had his proof of insurance either :lol:

Its strange how you guys talk with such a pompous tone when you were putting innocent lives at risk, considering even 1% of you story is believable. Well how else can you make the story cool .

Back
Top Bottom