What's new

Indian diplomat's daughter files $1.5m suit against New York City

The nice police facilities are reserved for our American politicians. Everyone else gets dirty blankeys and vomit infested drinking fountains.

It may be naive, but I always wanted my police force to reach the standard and professionalism showed by 'CSI' (eventhough it is a television drama)..but after hearing this even US police have a long way to go to reach 'CSI' standard.

I think there is much confusion about this case here. She isn't actually suing the police directly, she is suing the city which runs & is therefore responsible for the school & the administrators running it. I can't see much of a case against the police here. One really can't argue for 5 star facilities at a police station. Her argument & it is reasonably convincing (on the face of the story thus far) is that the school authorities should have been more careful about their proof when causing charges to be laid against her and that for some reason, evenness was not shown when the actual culprit was eventually caught.

These things do happen often enough though and the media is, as usual going overboard with this. There are enough stories of people in India going to jail because a wrong IP address was provided by the service provider.

indian gov should take strict action against this . they should call back all diplomats and in the same time issue the adviseary to our citizines that US enivourment is not favouable to indians they should go their own risk. for any misbehaviour they are only resposible and dont expect any help from indian goverment.

It is not xenophobia. If it were, they would have taken similar prompt action against the real culprit who happens to be a Chinese. He wasn't even suspended. It is a simple case of finding the right kind of accused who they thought won't make any noise. They were a bit too wrong there.

I was referring the forum members here making sarcastic comments at the poor kid.

may be . but before acting against our citizen they should understand anything go disproportionate.
i dont understand why our people are so desperate for going US. there are enough opportunities in India right know.

US throws rule book at India, says no immunity for diplomats' family
US throws rule book at India, says no immunity for diplomats' family - Hindustan Times

Diplomatic immunity does not apply to family members of consular officers, US State Department has said, a day after the daughter of an Indian diplomat filed a law suit against New York City alleging that she was falsely arrested and suspended for sending obscene emails to teachers at her Queens High School.

"The Vienna Convention on Consular Affairs provides that consular officers are not liable to arrest or detention pending trial, except in the case of a felony where a court warrant is required. But that provision does not apply to family members," the State Departments spokesman, Mark Toner, told reporters at his daily news conference.

Family members of the diplomats do carry diplomatic passports, he acknowledged but diplomatic immunity does not apply to them, he noted.

"This is different for consular officers versus those in the embassy. There's different categories," Toner said.

At a news conference in New York, Krittika Biswas, daughter of the vice counsel at the Indian Consulate in Manhattan, Debashish Biswas, claimed that she was ill-treated in prison.

Biswas alleged that she was not allowed to use the bathroom for a long-time when she was in custody at the 107th precinct.

"Eventually, I had to go in front of everyone," Biswas said, referring to a small toilet that was in the cell occupied by other persons.

Everybody should obey the rules or else you will get punished even if you are an ally of the USA.

Everybody should obey the rules or else you will get punished even if you are an ally of the USA.

The lawsuit she filed is not for diplomatic immunity. It is for her treatment as a suspect and being denied her miranda rights, where as the real culprit spared any of this treatment. Also she was send to a special suspension program even after she was cleared of the charges.

We also have to get the NY City PD side of the story. Indian girl claiming ..., Indian lawyer, Indian Journalist of MSNBC talking about it too. We have heard the Indian side, lets wait to hear the other side.

NY City is very diverse and they do not discriminate against people like that.

Well, NYC PD is still silent on this issue. You should start to wonder why?

1.5 million, now 24 hr ill treatment will make her millioniare

sir if US police sends you jail for 15 years. you are innocent but still you have to spend 15 years in jail. after some months when you come out of jail police finds real culprit. you sue them and get 5 million dollars as compensation. but what about those 15 years? try to be in shoes of that girl.

US police and judiciary system are not good. i remember a case when a american was sent to jail and remained there for 30 years. for stealing a TV!! finally a organisation launched a petition on this case and he was made free.

may be . but before acting against our citizen they should understand anything go disproportionate.
i dont understand why our people are so desperate for going US. there are enough opportunities in India right know.

1 $ = 45 rupees.

i think this reason is enough.

i was with a Bahraini friend back in late February; his father's in the Bahraini embassy and he has a State Department issued diplomatic immunity card. We were pulled over in his Vette on Washington DC's Connecticut Avenue (one of the main arteries of the city) going 140 miles per hour (according to the cop) in a 35 mph speed limit zone....

neither I the passenger nor the driver were arrested. And wreckless driving and going more than 4 times the speed limit is an arrestable offence. All he did was show the card, cops abused us and told us to stop being crazy -- then we were sent on our way.

reasons im saying all this is because State Department is supposed to treat kin with diplomatic immunity as well --excpet in very extreme cases.

i guess this indian girl's family lacks any influence or sway, or they are just janitors with 25% immunity onleee :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom